Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Problems starting with EGit development
Problems starting with EGit development [message #1651952] Thu, 05 March 2015 16:10 Go to next message
Ulrich Wielant is currently offline Ulrich WielantFriend
I have problems starting with EGit development to fix my faviourite RFE: bug 349560. I followed the EGit contributor guide but EGit and JGit does not compile due to the following two errors (several times in different packages):

• An API baseline has not been set for the current workspace. org.eclipse.egit.core
  • Execution environment references were not checked for 'org.eclipse.egit.core.test' because no environment descriptions are installed. org.eclipse.egit.core.test

That's what I have done so far:

• Installed Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers 4.4.2
  • Cloned EGit and JGit repositories (branch master)
  • Installed all required development tools using the egit-developer-tools.p2f installer file linked by the contributor guide
  • Select egit-4.4.target as target platform

Now my Problems view shows the errors above.

Anyhow when I now try to start a first debug session as described in the "Running" chapter of the contributor guide I get the errors attached to this message.

Any recommendations what I can try to setup my environment?

Thanks
Uli

[Updated on: Thu, 05 March 2015 16:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problems starting with EGit development [message #1651992 is a reply to message #1651952] Thu, 05 March 2015 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
the contributor guide mentions execution environments and api baselines. Have you done what is proposed in:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#Checking_for_JGit_API_Changes_using_API_Baseline
https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#Java_Requirements -> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Execution_Environments#Installing_Execution_Environment_Descriptions

I personally installed the execution environments, downloaded the latest egit release from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/egit/updates/org.eclipse.egit.repository-3.7.0.201502260915-r.zip and created an API baseline based on that download.

Ciao
Chris
Re: Problems starting with EGit development [message #1652019 is a reply to message #1651992] Thu, 05 March 2015 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I didn't.
In "Java Requirements" the sentence "If you followed the instructions in the Tools section above, the necessary descriptions should already be installed." made me thinking that it is not required.
And the chapter "Checking for JGIt API Changes using API Baseline" is far beyond the steps I have done.

I will try your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks!
Re: Problems starting with EGit development [message #1654066 is a reply to message #1652019] Fri, 06 March 2015 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I downloaded the egit release as you proposed and created an API baseline. Now all sources are compiling well Smile

I think the description in the Contributor guide should be updated because it is not clear that you have to install the API Execution Tools Environment Descriptions. Additionally the steps to configure an API baseline come too late in the article.
Re: Problems starting with EGit development [message #1654133 is a reply to message #1654066] Fri, 06 March 2015 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Feel free to improve the contributor guide, it's a wiki Wink

We are also on the way to provide an Oomph project configuration which should completely automate the
workbench setup for EGit contributors.
Re: Problems starting with EGit development [message #1690473 is a reply to message #1654133] Fri, 27 March 2015 14:04 Go to previous message
Mmh, changing the wiki is nice but it is very hard to write something meaningful when you have understood only a very small part of the whole process Smile

Anyhow thanks for the help. I managed to setup the environment so I can start now!
Previous Topic:Ref HEAD can not be resolved
Next Topic:Eclipse does not seem to recognize ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 fingerprint
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:00:34 GMT 2024