Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » CDT & Visual Studio tools - how to debug?(How to debug with the above setup?)
CDT & Visual Studio tools - how to debug? [message #1631185] Mon, 23 February 2015 16:42 Go to next message
Martin Dietze is currently offline Martin DietzeFriend
I currently need to maintain a multi platform project. Like on Linux, I would like to use Eclipse on Windows, too. However on Windows I need to use the Visual Studio compiler.

I was able to setup a project that uses the VC++ compiler and nmake. But now I would like to debug my code. I am not too familiar with the Windows platform, also there seems to be little information dedicated how to setup a VC++-based toolchain on Eclilpse.

From what I have read it seems like I need to use gdb, correct?

I installed MinGW on my box and told Eclipse where to find gdb.exe. However when I try to debug my code it runs the program I have compiled but never stops at a breakpoint.

Could it be that MinGW's gdb.exe does not "understand" the binary created by cl.exe? Or am I missing something else?

I would really like to avoid porting the code to MinGW (since the Win32-specific part is and has always been specific to the MS toolchain).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: CDT & Visual Studio tools - how to debug? [message #1631429 is a reply to message #1631185] Mon, 23 February 2015 19:46 Go to previous message
Doug Schaefer is currently offline Doug SchaeferFriend
"Could it be that MinGW's gdb.exe does not "understand" the binary created by cl.exe?"

That is correct. gdb does not understand the debug symbol format of Visual C++. Right now we don't really have a debug story for VC++ which makes it hardly useful. We should probably pull this support until we get one.
Previous Topic:"Breakpoint installation failed: Breakpoint insertion failure" when setting breakpoint aft
Next Topic:Eclipse CDT C++11 works, but needs to reopen file every time.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:04:34 GMT 2024