Eclipse Team Component 3.3 Development Plan
Back to the Team Component Page
|item is under development||item is finished||[>3.3] item is deferred|
Eclipse Project 3.3 Plan items that effect Team
The following items which appear on the Eclipse Project 3.3 Plan will have an effect on the Team/Compare/CVS component.
- Platform level proxy settings: When the proxy settings are made available by the Runtime component, the CVS and SSH2 plugins will need to be modified to use the Runtime settings.
- Managing and sharing settings: Depending on the eventual solution for this, there may be support required by Team or CVS.
- Ship Finer-grained Components: It is not clear at this time whether this will have an impact on Team/Compare/CVS.
- Performance focus: There will be an ongoing effort during 3.3 to assess the performance of existing an new features.
- Improve multi-instance view management: Both the Synchronize view and the History view can benefit from improved multi-instane view management.
- Adopt the Eclipse File System: The effects of EFS on Team and Compare will be considered during 3.3.
- Adopt the new UI features: The goal is to update the Team, Compare and CVS components to use new UI features that apply when they become available.
- Improve compare: The Compare infrastructure has not undrgone much change in the last few releases. We plan on addressing the more important issues that have accumulated in that time.
Overall Team 3.3 Plan
The overall themes for this release are detailed below:
- Compare Improvements: The Compare infrastructure has not undrgone much change in
the last few releases. We plan on addressing the more important issues that have accumulated in that time.
Some of these include:
- API for change navigation in Compare Editors and Viewers.
- Use ISaveable API that was introduced in 3.2.
- Asynchronous population of compare editor content and labels.
- Proper use of Commands (key bindings) for editor/viewer actions.
- Support selection of proper ancestor and/or remote within an editor/viewer.
- Use History view for local and model (e.g. Java) histories.
- Polish items from Wiki.
- Logical Model Integration: There are several logical model integration related issues that were not addressed in 3.2 that we plan on addressing in 3.3.
- Improve multi-instance view management: The Synchronize view and History view are both page based views but they use different mechanisms to support multiple active pages. In 3.3, we will use the same mechanism for both and hep investigate improvements to multi-view management to improve the user experience.
- Eclipse File System: The Eclipse File System (EFS) API was introduced in 3.2. In 3.3, we will investigate ways of incorporating this into Team.
3.3 Development Effort - Milestone 1 (Friday, August 11, 2006)
- Bug fixing: Target bugs are marked as 3.3 M1.
- Add History View API that was missing from 3.2
- Update actions to use the Commands framework
- Working Set import/export: Give the user the option to include working sets when exporting project sets.
3.3 Development Effort - Milestone 2 (Friday, September 22, 2006)
3.3 Development Effort - Milestone 3 (Friday, November 3, 2006)
- Bug fixing: Target bugs are marked as 3.3 M3.
- Continue improvements to the Apply Patch wizard
- Support for manual merging (bug 79372)
- Provide a Command for Apply Patch.
- Compare API
- Improve Compare Editor Updating.
- Improve Compare Editor Accessibility.
3.3 Development Effort - Milestone 4 (Friday, December 15, 2006)
- Bug fixing: Target bugs are marked as 3.3 M4.
- Unify Compare Navigation UI affordances
- Investigate making parts of Compare asynchronous.
- Non-blocking opening of Compare editor.
3.3 Development Effort - Milestone 5 (Friday, February 9, 2007)
- Bug fixing: Target bugs are marked as 3.3 M5.
- Investigate highlighting of word level diffs