Announcing Eclipse Ditto Release 3.0.0
The Eclipse Ditto teams is proud to announce the availability of Eclipse Ditto 3.0.0.
With 3.0.0, the required amount of different service roles was reduced from 6 to only 5 as the “ditto-concierge”
service’s responsibilities (performing authorization) was moved to other services.
That reduces the overall resource consumption and network traffic of a Ditto installation.
The other big topic for version 3.0.0 is the new search index which does not only respond much quicker to search queries, but also brings lots of performance improvements regarding MongoDB utilization and also a huge stabilization regarding consistency of the search in Ditto.
Many other new features and improvements are also part of the release, e.g. a new HTTP API for managing connections and even the first version of a Ditto UI.
Companies are willing to show their adoption of Eclipse Ditto publicly: https://iot.eclipse.org/adopters/?#iot.ditto
From our various feedback channels we however know of more adoption.
If you are making use of Eclipse Ditto, it would be great to show this by adding your company name to that list of known adopters.
In the end, that’s one main way of measuring the success of the project.
The main improvements and additions of Ditto 3.0.0 are:
- Ability to search in JSON arrays and thus also for feature definitions
- Several improvements around “metadata” in Ditto managed things
- Creation of new HTTP API for CRUD management of Ditto managed connections
- Addition of Ditto explorer UI for managing things, policies and connections
- Support for EC signed JsonWebKeys (JWKs)
- W3C WoT (Web of Things) adjustments and improvements for latest 1.1 “Candidate Recommendation” from W3C
- Make “default namespace” for creating new entities configurable
- Provide custom namespace when creating things via HTTP POST
- Make it possible to provide multiple OIDC issuer urls for a single configured openid-connect “prefix”
- Addition of a “CloudEvents” mapper for mapping CE payloads in Ditto connections
The following non-functional work is also included:
- New Ditto “thing” search index massively improving write performance; reducing the search consistency lag and improving search query performance
- Removal of former “ditto-concierge” service, moving its functionality to other Ditto services; reducing overall resource consumption and improving latency+throughput for API calls
- Creation of common way to extend Ditto via DittoExtensionPoints
- Rewrite of Ditto managed MQTT connections to use reactive-streams based client, supporting consumption applying backpressure
- Further improvements on rolling updates and other failover scenarios
- Consolidate and simplify DevOps command responses
The following notable fixes are included:
- Passwords stored in the URI of connections to no longer need to be double encoded
- Using the
Normalizedconnection payload mapper together with enriched
extrafields lead to wrongly merged things
- Adding custom Java based
MessageMappersto Ditto via classpath was no longer possible
Please have a look at the 3.0.0 release notes for a more detailed information on the release.
The new Java artifacts have been published at the Eclipse Maven repository as well as Maven central.
The Docker images have been pushed to Docker Hub:
The Eclipse Ditto team