Improve the e4-Rover Client
A basic e4-Rover client has been provided to get you started. Your challenge is to improve the client so it is more effective in completing its tasks. Use the power of e4 to improve the usability and workflow of the client. We have created a Getting Started Tutorial to give you some tips. The client is built on e4, so this will be a great opportunity to learn all about it.
Resources to Improve the e4-Rover Client
The e4-Rover client provided is very basic, but it can be easily customized and improved. Here are some resources to help you:
- Tutorial - e4-Rover Mars Challenge
- If you want to automate the e4-Rover, the Arena and Rover Diagram provides approximate positions.
The Best Client will be selected by a panel of judges. The judges will be evaluating the new clients based on the following criteria:
- Improved Attractiveness: The current client is pretty basic looking. e4 provides some powerful styling capabilities to make it easy for you to create a more graphical and modern user interface.
- Increased Usability: The current client provides a basic "joy sticking" method of moving the e4-Rover. Can you create a more efficient joy sticking interface? What about a completely new interface for controlling the robot? Maybe a drag and drop interface or something completely programmatic? Use your imagination to make a better and more efficient user interface.
- Exemplary e4 Application: e4 provides a new programming model for creating desktop applications. The judges will take into consideration the architecture and robustness of the new client code. They will be looking for great examples of e4 application coding.
Submit a Client for Judging
- Describe the new usability features you have implemented in your client in less than 300 words.
- Take 1 to 3 screenshots showing your improved interface.
- Send the description and screenshots of your new client to e4-Rover@eclipse.org by Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 11:30am PDT.
- The judges will select a short list of finalists and invite them to demo their clients.
- Client demos will take place on March 25, 2010 from 12:30pm - 1:30pm PDT.
- Winners will be announced at the EclipseCon Closing Session.