Re: [subversive-dev] svn not detected in linked resources ?

On Tuesday 22 November 2011, Alexander Gurov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, it's not what I thought about. As I understood your description, the
> actual SVN project was checked out by external tool

Yes.

> and there is no direct relation between the SVN working copy and any project
> in the Eclipse IDE workspace.

Only the linked resources.
But I could put any necessary tags into the .project file or e.g. also a
.subversive file.

> Subversive (as any other team provider) works by attaching its nature to
> the project.

I'm no Eclipse expert. Can you please explain what this means ?
What means attaching ? Can I influence this ? What does "nature" mean here ?

> It means, if there are no attachment, then Subversive code
> won't be called at all.
>
> As far as I know, the only way to make it work at all is to attach
> "build-automoc" project to the SVN (in order to activate source control
> plug-in code for the project).

How would I "attach a directoy to SVN" ?

> After that next steps will be related to
> some corrections in Subversive. As I understand, the "build-automoc"
> project in your case shouldn't be shared through the source control, is
> it correct or not?

Yes, the build directory is not in source control.
One developer can chose to create Eclipse projects, another one can choose to
generate XCode projects, Windows developers may generate VisualStudio
projects, others will only generate Makefiles.
All this is completely up to the respective developer, and build trees are
"volatile" in that sense.

> If so, then the only way to do this is to allow Subversive to be
> connected to the project without its actual sharing. This is some

Would it help if I create an actual symbolic link in the file system which
points from build-automoc/ to automoc/ ?

e.g.
$HOME/src/build-automoc/SymlinkToSrcDir
which points to
$HOME/src/automoc/

This would make it work at least for any UNIX, if it would help.

> non-trivial solution and for the moment I can't tell how much time it
> will take to implement it, as it will cause some serious changes in the
> most important parts of the Subversive plug-in code.
>
> If I'm wrong somewhere please correct me. Otherwise, if I understood
> your situation correctly, I'll create corresponding task on the tracker.

I think you are right.

Alex

Back to the top