[rap-dev] Evaluating RAP

Hello,

I have recently changed job and my new role is heading up a team to create a new web application. The company I am now working for also has many engineering models running on an Eclipse RCP framework and a commercial product which it sells on that platform. Just so you know, I have used RAP before and have some idea how it works, its limitations and strengths. I ported a large code base product (www.dawnsci.org) to RAP but we did not release the web version in the end.

My question is to ask how big the community is around RAP these days? Is there a company list which are on board with RAP?

The other question is can I mix RAP with _javascript_ components, for instance if I want to have a RAP application with a plotly graph in it - is this possible? I know that in the RCP deployment that would create problems but in the pure web case - is it something people do? To mix custom _javascript_ components?

I also have the question who sells support in RAP? And is there a web page where I can look at costs?

My final question is if there are any users of RAP out there that have also looked at more common web frameworks such as GWT or SpringMVC. What are your reasons for choosing RAP and your comments comparing it with other frameworks.

I have a favorable opinion of RAP but I am concerned about the users of the platform being few... :-)

Cheerio,

Matt Gerring
Dev. Lead, Halliburton Landmark

Back to the top