Re: [platform-text-dev] [platform-ui-dev] [proposal] Unite platform text and UI projects forces

I just wanted to ask for a clarification ... and make a comment. I do not intend to "argue" about any of what you have said. But, I did not want to leave anyone with the wrong impression (or, at least, leave them with only one impression ... there are probably multiple, valid points of view).

> The change was made in early September and the problems reported in bug 478984 only appeared *one month later*, due to a latent defect in our test infrastructure.

I do not know what you mean by "a latent defect in our test infrastructure"? Do you mean an existing unit test should have caught the error? If so, I'm wondering why.
But, suspect you mean something else. If you did mean an unit test should have caught it ... well, that is another great way to contribute to Eclipse!
The thing that "caught" the error was in our build and happened not due to any bug, but because Tycho "eclipserun" plugin creates a "minimal runtime". Apparently not all "minimal runtimes" demonstrate the error, but some do. So, would be hard for any pre-existing test to have caught it.

> and we’ve driven away a contributor

I don't see that at all. If Alex decided to not contribute any more, I don't think the reason was because he was "driven away". I thought he got some good comments and suggestions, and up to him if he wanted to continue. But, obviously, we did not want to leave in a change that broke our build, and that of others (WTP later hit the same problem). To some extent, it was "good luck" that it broke our build since otherwise it might have broken other "minimal runtimes" and not have been discovered for many more months.

ContentType, which is used to decide what encode/decoding rules to apply to a text file, is very low level. It is required by any well behaved application or plugin that reads a file  and it was hard to implement in the first place (especially to be quick and efficient). Its initial implementation probably took a "man year", so I don't think the fact that it is "hard to change", means that it is brittle. To me, it just means it is complicated.

Again, I don't mean to argue, or say you are "wrong" in your perceptions. I simply wanted to say there are other valid ways to perceive it, and did not want readers of this list to be left with only one impression.

But most of all, I wanted to understand better what you meant by "due to a latent defect in our test infrastructure"?

Thank you,