Re: [platform-dev] New vscode light theme for eclipse

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 10:15 AM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > * some "hype" colors

?? Searching for "hype" colors gives me some strange results about
make-up vendors :-D

Well hype==VSCode in the IDE world.
But we all know VSCode is also a lot of make up over a traditional workbench, so you weren't that far ;)

Don't get me wrong but what are the stuff in the edges then?

Perspective and view shortcuts.

By the way,  Eclipse do not uses toolbars but 'coolbars' already, but does it change
anything if we do not call them "toolbar" anymore?

The menu still says "Show/Hide Toolbar", we're talking about the top toolbar here, with many buttons in it.

Whats the point of this? Do I need to learn all 18.058 Shortcuts in the
future to use Eclipse?

Or use Ctrl+3. Just like people who use VSCode do happily use Ctrl+P.

  > * Moved run shortcuts to the bottom

Whats the advantage of this, beside that it collides with usual Os
(windows / linux) task bar now?

Not really an advantage, more noticeable a side-effect of toolbar removal.

  > * persective switcher collapsed on the left

Seems like a personal preference or is there any advantage?

We're actually discussing all that. And personal preferences do matter, but the opportunity is to ship here something disrupting that in the end most people are likely to prefer because it looks lighter/fresher.
Having preferences on the left (or somewhere else) allows to remove them from toolbar and hide toolbars without loosing perspective switch. It's the current convention in VSCode, Theia, (upcoming) IntelliJ...

 > -IMO- without loosing any usability (once users have learned about
Ctrl+3).

I think this is arguable, I need Eclipse to *work* I don't need it to
look great on a screenshot in the web...

So please argue why this would then make Eclipse not working.

So from that screenshot, I'm missing most of the stuff I need to work
with

Can you please detail what are those things?

Back to the top