RE: [mylar-dev] wiki editing in task editor

Hi Xioyang,

The Summer of Code project needs to be an original contribution of yours that builds directly on Mylar.  Unless there is very compelling reason to do so it will need to avoid any non eclipse.org dependencies because these involve an IP review process that takes weeks or months depending on the nature of the dependency.

What I think that we should do is outline some key use cases of wiki integration on your project page.  Here are some ideas:

·         Provide a HTML-based widget for rendering wiki-formatted text.  This might involve writing a simple wiki rendering engine as a prototype.  Limitation of HTML is that we can’t link to structured elements within Eclipse (e.g. Java elements in stack traces, other tasks).

·         Provide a rich/styled text widget that renders the basic wiki syntax, provides rich editing, but has wiki formatting underneath so that the Trac server gets wiki text.  Benefit is that this can fully link to elements within Eclipse.

While I have considered it, I think that Eugene’s idea of having a structure bridge is likely to be out of scope because it would require you to parse the HTML text for each page in the web browser, which is hard, and then to monitor interaction within the browser, which is out of the scope of the Mylar project because it requires platform and browser specific code.

After you have an initial set of use cases I suggest that you email page to the newsgroup to iterate.

Mik