Re: [mylar-dev] dev build for 3.3M7

Mik Kersten wrote:
They make icon decorations and overlays harder to notice, add to the visual noise, and the SDK refrains from using them (e.g. to highlight errors in the Package Explorer).
SDK have feature to use background-based highliting for CVS stuff. So, bad excuse you have. :-P
Just for the record, we have discussed it several times and I thoght that there was an agreement that there is no need to highlight background in the views other then Task List. Am I wrong?
My answer to this is in the first three lines above that you quote. To restate it, I think that it is a bad idea for the same reason that it is a bad idea in the Package Explorer. We already use decorations to bring focus to key elements (e.g. incomings, overdue, etc). We are using so many dimensions of the UI space already (icons, multiple overlay, foreground decoration, background category decoration) that every combination of the highlight background decoration that I've tried overloads the Task List UI in my opinion. I was saying that this is analogous to why I think it is a bad idea to do background highlighting in other SDK views (which we also used to do, e.g. for Landmarks).
It depends. Monotonous views are hard to deal with and hard to pickup tasks from list of >10 if those tasks have orthogonal characteristics to any sorting or grouping mechanisms provided by Task List view. That is why I and few other users found highlighters quite handy to make those tasks more noticeable.
Also, it is important to note that no other user has requested this feature, and the only reason it is in the Sandbox is because you like it. Naturally I'm happy leaving it there for this reason, but I have to be very careful about projecting what currently appears to be an idiosyncratic use case on others.
Well, it seems like you have short memory. I will refer you to the archive of the mylar-dev list and the newsgroup. Look for complaints about disappeared highlighters.

Also note that average user won't complain about some feature he is not aware of. No offense but it is purely lack of imagination.

 regards,
 Eugene

Back to the top