Re: [jetty-users] Concurrent timeout exception

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 at 18:51, John English <john.foreign@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/07/2021 02:26, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> It means that a request arrived and your app was trying to extract
> parameters from the body of the request, but blocked as the full body
> had not yet arrived.  After 30 seconds the data still had not arrived so
> the read timed out.

OK. So, this is down to a network problem rather than a webapp error?
And presumably the user can just reload to resubmit the request and
thereby recover from it? If so, I will be able to change the webapp to
report it to the user as a "normal" error rather than treating it as an
unexpected error (which sends me an alert email, saves a stack trace in
the log and so on).

Typically such timeouts can occur for a huge number of reasons:
  • user suspended their laptop
  • user on train that went into a tunnel
  • network failure
Most of these means that the user is out of contact so you can't tell them anything about it.... unless by user you mean the person reading the log file?

Typically we suppress such IOExceptions logging to be at debug level because they can occur for some many innocuous reasons.