[jetty-users] MongoDB Session Clustering

Hi all,

I was looking at using mongodb as a session manager for jetty and found the documentation here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Tutorial/MongoDB_Session_Clustering

particularly:

The persistent session mechanism works in conjunction with a load balancer that supports stickiness. Stickiness can be based on various data items, such as source IP address or characteristics of the session ID or a load-balancer specific mechanism. For those load balancers that examine the session ID, the Jetty persistent session mechanism appends a node ID to the session ID, which can be used for routing.

If I have to configure sticky sessions anyway, what's the point of clustering my sessions, other than potentially persistence?  I was hoping I would be able to use non-sticky sessions and let the load balancer pick a node to run on.  Surely I'm missing something here!

Cheers,
Craig

Back to the top