Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox Aspects and OSGi Weaving Hook Service Specification (56)

Hey Alexander!

Ok, I now have a much more clearer view on all of the existing logic.
I agree that going the short way is just a workaround and not a
upgrade so I will take the long road and will reimplement all bundles
to use OSGi spec interfaces. Do I correctly understand that
o.e.e.weaving.hook bundle will therefore be obsoleted completely or
does it have any extra functions?

I don't think that you can implement the caching part on top of existing pure OSGi specifications, but I am not sure.

What I think would be great is:

- having o.e.e.weaving.aspectj to work purely on the OSGi Weaving hook API.
So people who wanna use aspect weaving can use that on any OSGi runtime that implements that spec.

- having o.e.e.weaving.hook and o.e.e.weaving.caching to work on Equinox only and provide caching for woven bundles, so that people can use that together with o.e.e.weaving.aspectj, if they wanna have caching for woven stuff.

I have no idea what that would mean for the implementation of the hook and the caching, but I would start with adapting o.e.e.weaving.aspectj to the new OSGi Weaving spec and then would try to reduce the hook to do caching only.

Just my thoughts...
Tom, what do you think?

Cheers,
-Martin