From: ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Dmitry Kornilov
Sent: 12 September 2018 21:11
To: EE4J PMC Discussions <ee4j-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ee4j-pmc] ACTION: Eclipse GlassFish release plan

Hi,

As we agreed earlier sending you the proposed EclipseFish release plan. I has to be approved by PMC. Please make your votes. I am voting +1.

Eclipse GlassFish release plan:

Sep 18 -- All code required for GF build contributed.

Sep 23 — Eclipse GlassFish builds.

Builds against what? 3rd party Modules currently hosted in java.net maven or modules hosted in maven central/OSSRH or modules hosted somewhere in Eclipse? The answer to this question determines how easy it is to get to this milestone.

Is it building with -DskipTests or with all tests passing?

Oct 1 -- Java EE 8 CTS testing. We are able to run CTS tests on Eclipse GlassFish.

Never seen the CTS so I have no idea how big a task that is.

Oct 1 — CI/CD release pipelines completed.

What are we building in the CI/CD release pipeline the glassfish.zip for full profile or all modules created during the build also pushed to OSSRH?

Getting a Jenkins pipeline up and running building GlassFish against any PR is non-trivial and may require changes to the Jenkins infrastructure in terms of capacity this is not just 1 or 2 jars you are building? For a reference point we spent literally months putting together a stable Jenkins pipeline for Payara that could also run all tests reliably and it still breaks too often.

Oct 21 — Dependencies updated. All projects are released to OSSRH and have dependencies to Eclipse version of other components.

This requires ALMOST ALL other EE4J projects to have made a release to OSSRH of both API and RI this is extremely challenging and depends on many other projects. Also how are these other projects going to test their RI has passed their TCK or are they skipping that test?

There are a huge number of dependencies to be updated checked in and PRs tested. Is this one PR or lot of little PRs when each module is released. Ideally you would have each dependent project make a PR to the GlassFish source when they have released to OSSRH.

Oct 22 -- Eclipse GlassFish 5.1-RC1 milestone release.

Again what are we releasing GlassFish Full Profile, Web Profile, Embedded, Minimal, All of them etc?

Nov 16 -- Release Review completed.

Nov 30 -- Eclipse GlassFish 5.1 release. All CTS tests are passed.

What if there are failures at this stage do we have to go back to release review or should this step be before release review?

Thanks,
Dmitry