RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] Alias management

Hi Terry,

I fully agree.
  1. Create / Modify Aliases. I also don't see a need for creating / modifying file system links from Eclipse. There should be support for visualizing them, though (which is easy to add in Eclipse 3.5 already).
  2. Consistent normalized path support. Agree. We'll need IFileStore#getCanonicalPath() on the EFS API, and we'll need smart algorithms on the Resource / Refresh / Compare code to avoid using getCanonicalPath() where possible, in order to maintain good performance. In other words, query the canonical path only when we come across an FS link, but construct the path ourselves for "regular" files and folders. The Workspace Tree will need some redesign to understand links "moving around" its structure.
  3. Serve up both normalized and non-normalized path strings. Yes, though I think this is probably more relevant for resource objects than for filesystem objects -- the FS layer does exactly that with a getCanonicalPath() API already, but since FS must be stateless it will be expensive. On the Resource layer, we can add state (caching) to make it faster.
    * the non-normalized path is how the client / user originally referred to a resource, and
    * the normalized path is its normalized variant (can be computed from the workspace tree).
  4. Support team providers for VCSs that can check in symlinks. I'm not sure if that is required. Assuming that foo/bar is a symlink, doing a "checkin foo/bar" will check in the symlink as needed. To me, it seems that all we need to make sure is that we don't instruct the VCS to check in the same file twice just because we approach a given (normalized) file through multiple different (non-normalized) paths. This should be possible through an improved alias-aware Workspace Tree.
I think that if we are careful, there is some potential to even add proper Alias Management in Eclipse 3.5 already, though that needs a lot more investigation. What I would propose, is starting that work soon in order to see whether we can apply it to Galileo already or whether it requires more radical change that would make it impossible in 3.5.

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top