Re: [eclipse-dev] Advice on working with GitHub

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 3:08 AM Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- Builds completing - I have to go back and check PRs to see if the build is complete. This one is partially solved, but is imperfect - see https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.resources/pull/11

That is something we can fix in our Jenkinsfile, using the `post { unstable { ... } failure { ... }}` blocks to conditionally send a mail. However, note that in the times of Gerrit, people received notifications for each build. So the current state is almost identical to how things were earlier.

- Reactions - sometimes I ask a question or seek approval, and they come as thumbs-up or similar
- Edits - user edits a comment, but only the original is emailed, sometimes those edits now include question or something else that needs to be acted on. An example of this was https://github.com/eclipse/lsp4j/issues/610#issuecomment-1115030941 - I got an email notification that said "to solve the buildnumber problem, will try to find it again" but I didn't get a notification that the "update ..." had been edited into the message. (I know this wasn't on eclipse platform repo, but it was a recent example of the issue)

I think we'd need to open enhancement requests to GitHub for that.
If the vast majority of contributors agree that those are important features to add; we can author and sign such enhancement request on behalf of the Eclipse project.

Should there be policy around this (e.g discourage edits that substantially change meaning, don't use reactions for stuff you expect others to react to)?

I don't think it's a project-specific policy to setup; it's a general GitHub issue.

Back to the top