[aspectj-users] AspectJ 1.9.8.M1 release and Java 17-EA developer version

Dear AspectJ users,

the AspectJ development team is pleased to announce that a few days ago we released version 1.9.8.M1, available on Maven Central. The new feature compared to 1.9.7 is that cross-compilation via --release N now works as expected, see GitHub issue #70. This was never tested before since AspectJ 1.9.0 and has been fixed. This little milestone release still supports up to JDK 16, no changes there.

Additionally, we have started integrating Java 17 early access releases by integrating the beta-17 Eclipse Java Compiler (ECJ) branch into a development branch. So if you use version 1.9.8-SNAPSHOT from Maven Central's snapshot repository as described in GitHub issue #79, you can compile Java 17 source code and create Java 17 class files. The compiler features go as far as the ECJ implementation has progressed so far. I noticed that the new preview feature JEP 406: Pattern Matching for switch in ECJ is not completely done yet, but that is to be expected from an EA version. Otherwise, it seems to be pretty stable already. All AspectJ tests except the JEP 406 ones are green.

Enjoy Aspect!

--
The AspectJ team

Back to the top