WTP PMC Agenda/Minutes for May 6, 2008 Conference Call

WTP PMC Agenda/Minutes for May 6, 2008 Conference Call
Back

Call Info

Tollfree in the US: 877-421-0030
Alternate: 770-615-1247
Access code: 800388#
Full list of phone numbers

Call Time: 1500 UTC

Attendees

PMC Members

  • David Williams: Y
  • Naci Dai: N (Regrets)
  • Raghunathan Srinivasan: Y
  • Neil Hauge: Y
  • Tim deBoer: N (Regrets)
  • Kaloyan Raev N (Regrets)

Announcements and General Business

  • WTP Guidelines on "Committer Emeritus"?

    Project Leads can decide, and provide a supporting paragraph, themselves, but we suggest the following be considered while deciding if someone deserves this status.

    • Nominees should have contributed significant code and functions to WTP over a long period of time, such as at least a year or two.
    • Was active with the Eclipse Community of WTP users and adopters via newsgroups and mailing lists.
    • Advanced WTP by giving presentations and writing articles or tutorials.
    • Participated in a well rounded fashion in all aspects of a WTP development cycle; requirements, design, implementation, testing, performance tuning, bug fixing.

    This is a subjective judgement, but following some defensible guidelines such as the above should make it easier to make sure that most other Eclipse members would agree with the judgment.

    Note from meeting: we agreed with these general guidelines as simply being our helping project leads know what's expected, but that it's still up to project leads to decide and nominate, and that we don't need any other process or PMC review of inidividual nominations.

  • Organize an Eclipse DemoCamp to Celebrate Ganymede Any interest? Raleigh? (David, Neil?)

    Note from meeting: Neil is interested in helping Ginny with RTP one, so will let them discuss. Raghu won't be able to sponser or organize one, but will keep his eye open for those in San Jose area to see if he can attend or participate.

Reports, Actions, Issues

Requirements: Raghu Srinivasan

Raghu has requested we discuss Requirements Document to help him "close it out" and begin next.

Note from meeting: Will hold over to next week

We need Draft release plan, in standard format, for next years release by June (See see bug 215301).
Raghu to lead, and propose an alternative or two. Rumor has it that the June deadline was to have a standard format decided, and the "infrastructure" in place to roll them up into a single roadmap document. The "real" plan is expected by September. My understanding was there would be a new note to this effect to "project leads list", but haven't seen it yet.

Reference

Education: Naci Dai

meeting conflict till end of May

** Need status update

  • Phase 1, organize what we have, done by end January.
  • Phase 2, self guided new materials. some available by EclipseCon.
  • phase 3, shutdown .. scenarios
Notes:
Orgainizing "current" now, should be ready by EclipseCon.
Will be organized better for narrowing selection and sorting.
For now, the "database" will be one XML file, with various attributes/qualities to search and sort on.

Reference

Planning: David Williams

  • We may need another 2.0.2 patch -- and/or another release!, 2.0.3, to collect these "bad bugs". (I've asked Naci to get involved, but haven't heard anything yet.)
    • 201318 [hotbug] EAR Libraries container fails to initialize for 2.5 web project
    • 230256 hotbug_request] jst.jee JEEDeployableFactory refuses to load ejb3 module
  • M7 Status: ready today! Lot's of external churn here at end (in platform, builder, etc.)
  • Beginning Review Materials -- thanks for the feedback/comments/additions
    • IP Log: third party code, list of committers, contributors, the newly required "other third party dependencies"
    • Coming up: do API summaries? List deprecated functions?
    • Need about files, etc., done by 5/15

Reference

Quality: Neil Hauge

  • Any remaining "automatically close since so old" work we should do now, before release?

    Note from meeting: Will hold over till next week, or so. If no decision by then, we will take no action, to avoid making "automatic" decisions right before a release, when there would be no time for a response, if we err'd.

Reference:

WTP User Experience Lead: Kaloyan Raev

Notes:
  • Working on "use cases" document, for novice user. Should be ready for public review and comments in a few weeks.
  • Will be attending the UA Walk through meetings, and may propose a WTP one in future (perhaps on facets UI).

References

Architecture: Tim deBoer

  • Tim will find out specific "advise to give developers (and auto-test teams)" to implement the WTP API policy (which tools/build reports to use).
Notes:
  • Recommended to restart the protected non-api scans.
  • Will not accept new data, for now, but if tooling could be improved to detect/remove additional (non-protected) data, then perhaps it'd be useful to show non-api use going down.
  • But, an update: Have discovered that current ones are nearly meaningless, since so much as changed, so scan's show us as "changing protected API", but it's not protected API any longer.
    • Concluded we should still run the scans, as sort of a "unit test" to see if any new, unexpected breakage. Run occasionally, that is, such as every milestone?
    • We'll need to tell developers to "make use of as best they can" since it includes lots of noise.
    • We may look at easy ways to reduce noise ... such as to "diff" with previous, or some particular reference report.
    • It was suggested at some point we may want to put the work back on adopters to sanitize their data, but, that might still require more work on our part to make sure no new usage data was added.

Reference

General business?

PMC Calendar

  • Eclipse World deadline has passed (though they sometimes accept late submissions). Who has submitted?

    Note from meeting: Raghu and Neil have submitted.


Back to meeting list.

Please send any additions or corrections to David Williams.