PMC Conference Call - August 23, 2005
Attending: David Williams [DW], Arthur Ryman [AR], Naci Dai [ND]
1. Ecosystem Update 

Lawrence: 
        - the FAQ page has been updated 
        - tte Community page will be updated soon 
        - most tutorials have been updated to reflect WTP 0.7 content 
        - there has been great feedback on WTP 0.7 in the newsgroup, frequent posts, good discussions, problem reports captured as bugs 
        - Help system contributions have been received from Christoph Krawczyk and Christopher Judd 
        - EclipseWorld is being held in New York next week and there are many WTP presentations 
        - EclipseCon 2006 has issued a call for submissions, please ask your colleagues to contribute abstracts 

2. WTP 0.7.1 Release Status 

David        - the NL fixes have been made 
Naci         - looks like non-NL fixes have also been committed 
Arthur         - we need to limit fixes to NL and sever problems 
        - we have not formally committed to a 0.7.1 release 
        - we need to establish the demand from adapters and end users 
        - if we do have a formal 0.7.1 release, we should synchronize it with Eclipse 3.1.1 

[action] Arthur to followup on demand for a 0.7.1 release [1] 

3. WTP 1.0 Release Planning 

Arthur        - we need to firm up our plans and establish the API set we will release 
        - see the roadmap for 1.0 priorities [2]: 

    * Promote selected provisional APIs to platform status based on vendor requirements. 
    * Componentize WTP into Features to enable adopters to select subsets of function. 
    * Fix National Language bugs. 
    * Fix Accessibility bugs. 
    * Fix other important bugs, with high priority given to those required by adopters. 
    * Upgrade Help system content. 

David        - agreed, with the understanding that performance problems are included under "other important bugs" 
        - I've been working on the Feature definition 
Naci        - agreed 
Arthur        - any planned enhancements in addition to bugs? 
Naci        - possibly a CMP EJB creation wizard 
        - some Web service enhancements are being planned 
David        - possibly spell checking and folding, subject to sizing and resource 

[action] Arthur to send out note requesting component leads to update their milestone plans and to map APIs to milestones 

David        - the recent build breaks have been mainly caused by JUnit timeouts, but are otherwise stable 
        - the builds may destabilize as more code gets committed 

4. Release Engineering 

David        - we resolved the treatment of maintenance (M) builds 
        - they are treated like integration builds 

Naci        - I've need refactoring the build scripts and and documenting the process 
        - we need to have reproducible builds that can be run locally 
        - I am restructuring the tasks so they are more modular 
        - I've been assessing Maven, which is widely used at Apache, as a way to simplify our build scripts 

5. Charter Revisions 

Arthur        - Mike proposal a delta to our revisions in the area of working on draft standards 
        - the terms of use of the draft standards must be consistent with our use in Eclipse 
Naci        - agreed 
David        - agreed 

[action] Tim to make the change and resubmit to Mike for approval 

6. WTP 1.5 Planning 

Arthur        - see roadmap [2] 
        - Eclipse 3.2 is proposing a train 
        - projects can opt in to a coordinated release 
        - recommend we opt in 
        - to catch the train we need to move up our milestone dates by 2 weeks 
David        - agree 
Naci        - agree 
Arthur        - I'll update the roadmap now, but we should wait for a PMC quorum to formally opt it 

[action] Tim to review Eclipse 3.2 planning with PMC and hold vote on opting in 

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=107743 
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/planning/roadmap.html 

7. Architecture Update 

David        - I am working on a proposal for Feature definition in WTP 1.0 and will post it soon 
Arthur        - can we target this for 1.0 M8? 
David        - yes, but not completely due to some additional refactoring work 

8. Other Business 

Naci        - Gorkem has developed a PDE tool to aid ISVs in creating server adapters 
David        - has the PMC agreed to support this type of tool 
Arthur        - this will help promote the adoption of WTP APIs and extension points 
        - we should encourage this type of tool for all of our extension points 
David        - I suggest we start by packaging this type of tool in the SDK examples  directory of each component 

David        - should be be providing zips for each Feature? 
        - if so, can we use CVS to host them? 
Arthur        - CVS is not good for binaries since it can't diff them and the server isn't mirrored 
        - why not have a single binary zip and let adopters extract binaries from it? 
David        - OK, we won't build mulriple zips for now 
Minutes taken by Arthur Ryman, August 23, 2005