PMC Conference Call - Februar 15, 2005

Attending: Dominique De Vito, David Williams, Arthur Ryman, Jochen Krause, Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Mitch Sonies, Lawrence Mandel
Regrets: Christophe Ney

EclipseCon by Lawrence

  • Summary of what's going on at EclipseCon for the WTP project including the project sprint, code camp, and the WTP "track"
  • People who want to submit ideas for the Project Sprint on Monday evening should do so by the end of the week
  • Jochen was chosen as our press spokesperson for EclipseCon

WTP Day in Europe by Christophe (via Bjorn)

  • There was lots of positive feedback from the ObjectWeb members about having a WTP Workshop Day in 4Q2005. ObjectWeb is going to organize, support, and promote this.

Architecture and Requirements Groups by Arthur and David and Jochen

  • Erich Gamma was removed from the Architecture Group. Kevin Haaland was added. David will update the website list.
  • The Requirements Group has been changed but the website not updated. Jochen will update the website.
  • Also, the website list is not linked from the home page, so Arthur will fix that.
  • The PMC agreed that in the future the Groups can change on their own, but that the PMC needs to be informed of such changes.

Committers by Arthur

  • We removed two inactive committers: Deniz Seçilir and Valeriy Pelyushenko.

Roadmap by Arthur and Bjorn

  • M4 is going to be the API Freeze milestone. Arthur will put his nice "what API Freeze means" document on the website.
  • We are careful to acknowledge that we are going to violate our own APIs in our R1.0 - we do not have enough time to solidify all the APIs before our R1.0. We will distinguish between "official API" and "internal non-API that is currently used as API but will change in the future and cannot be relied on".
  • As part of this freeze, we will be putting in place a process to control API changes. We anticipate that this process will consist of having the Planning Group review any API changes. Arthur is going to draft the process and distribute for comments. Part of the process will include the kind of justification that supplicants will be required to provide when requesting a variance from the freeze.
  • Dominique will enhance the Planning Group to accommodate this new workload. He will review the membership, add people as necessary, etc.
  • It is very important for us to have a Roadmap document contribution this week. The Roadmap will be published at EclipseCon and if we're the only project with no input, that would be awkward. Arthur will draft something by Wednesday.

Minutes taken and posted by Bjorn Freeman-Benson, February 15, 2005