Installing Eclipse and PTP
Updated a bit for PTP Release 1.1.1 (1 November 2007): PTP update site now available to install PTP.
Note that PTP Release 1.1.1 requires Eclipse 3.2.2 and CDT 3.1.2.
PTP 2.0, available around early 2008, will use the more recent Eclipse 3.3 (Europa) and CDT 4.0.
To get Eclipse 3.2,
To install Eclipse, the CDT, and then PTP, do the following:
- Download either the "light" (platform) version of Eclipse or the full "SDK" version:
go to the
Eclipse download site for release 3.2.2 as described above, and then do one of the following:
After downloading and extracting Eclipse (zip or tar file), there's nothing
else to the installation process.
In the extracted folder, simply run the eclipse executable file.
It will ask for a workspace location; the default is fine.
- Install the CDT (C/C++ Development Toolkit) as well.
You can do this from the Eclipse UI as follows:
- Help > Software Updates > Find and Install...
- Select "Search for new features to install",
- Click Next, Select "Callisto Discovery Site" and click "Finish."
(The Callisto discovery site lists Eclipse plug-ins guaranteed to work with the 3.2 version of Eclipse.)
- When the Callisto Update site is loaded you see another Dialog.
Expand the "Callisto Discovery Site" item and check the "C and C++ Development" item.
- Click Next, accept the license terms, Click Next, and click Finish.
- On the Verification page, click "Install All."
- When it's done, click "Yes" to restart the Eclipse workbench. Then you can
install PTP from its update site as well.
(Jump to step 3. below...)
Or click "no"
to close down Eclipse if you prefer to install PTP from downloaded tar.gz files.
- Note: the above installs the runtime version of CDT. If you intend to develop
plug-ins with CDT, be sure to get the full SDK version.
The CDT SDK as well as the runtime are available from the CDT Update Site
(as opposed to the Callisto discovery site mentioned above).
The CDT Update Site is available by entering the following URL
as the Remote Site in the Update Manager.
- To download and install PTP, either
BRT - 1 November 2007