M2E provides both a framework for building Maven-centric Eclipse tools and a set of tools and user interface elements directly consumable by Eclipse Users.
As a framework, M2E provides facilities to import and configure Maven projects in Eclipse workspace as well as APIs that allow m2e extensions to access Maven project metadata and participate in Maven project configuration and workspace build.
- wizards to import existing and to create new Maven projects
- rich form-based and text-based pom.xml file editor
- launch configuration types to launch Maven build directly from Eclipse IDE
- access Maven repository index to browse repository contents and in various code-assist
Extensible JDT integration is provided by M2E as well.
- feature to be installed into an Eclipse IDE installation using an update site.
Release milestones will be occurring at roughly 6 week intervals, and will be aligned with the Juno Simultaneous Release train.
M2E requires minimum Java SE 5 VM.
M2E is compatible with Eclipse 3.7.2, 3.8 and Eclipse 4.2 and is generally expected to work on each of these Eclipse releases respective referenced platforms with additional requirement of Java SE 5 or better VM.
All m2e user interface elements are externalized, but only English strings are provided as the default resource bundles.
Compatibility with Sonatype m2e 1.0.x
API Contract Compatibility: m2e 1.1 API is backwards compatible with m2e 1.0.x.
Workspace Compatibility: m2e 1.1 workspace metadata is backwards compatible with m2e 1.0.x
Encourage comminity paritcipation
- Agile opensource project m2e is an agile opensource project and as such does not have feature and/or bugfix roadmap. We encourage community members to come forward with ideas how to improve m2e and generally plan to prioritise patches review over other m2e development activities.
Stay current with Maven technologies
- Include latest released Maven version To maintain parity with bugfixes and new features available to command line Maven users, m2e will include latest Maven version available in time for Juno release. We will work with Maven core developers to align m2e and maven release schedules.