Eclipse Member Distro Downloads Program
Goals of this Program
This program has two main goals:
- Make the ecosystem around Eclipse more visible to those who are downloading Eclipse.
- Improve the first user experience with Eclipse - a better solution than downloading many different files to get the Eclipse installation they need.
This program is about encouraging Eclipse Member companies to interact with the Eclipse user base by offering downloads of packages that are part of the Eclipse project release trains. Organizations can also offer additional downloads including other OSS projects and commercial software.
- The eclipse.org downloads 'mirror selection page' will have a section devoted to downloading an Eclipse based distros from participating Eclipse Foundation members.
- Each member company distro entry on the page will link to a page on that member company's website with the Eclipse related distro. (In other words, the member company Eclipse distros will NOT be hosted at eclipse.org)
To participate, a member must:
- Be an Eclipse member company in good standing
- Provide at least 100 Mbits of bandwidth for Eclipse downloads
- Provide a 64x64 logo.
- Provide a max. 100 character description of the distro (such as server location, target audiences, etc.)
- Offer current Eclipse packages to be download without forcing a registration of any kind
- Offer a clear "Download" link to Eclipse.org package(s) from the landing page without forcing site navigation to find it
- Good examples:
- Member provides an All-in-one zip/installer of Eclipse projects/packages
- Member provides an All-in-one zip/installer of a useful subset of the Eclipse projects/packages (similar to the all-in-one zip that WTP provides)
- Member provides an Installshield or similar installer that provides options to install Eclipse projects/packages
- Member provides an Installer that provides options to install Eclipse projects and options to install Company X's for-pay projects - good as long as the Eclipse projects can be selected without paying for the other projects (similar to the Yoxos installer
- Bad examples:
- Member requires clicking through pages of marketing to get to the Eclipse download
- Member obscures download link and tricks people to download member application
- Member forces registration of email address or other personal information
- Member provides installer that offers only commercial projects even when those projects embedded Eclipse projects
Ordering Of The List
Members will be listed based on random selection methods based approximately on the amount of bandwidth provided - however, the ratios will be managed to ensure a reasonable percentage of traffic for all perticipants and a quality download experience for our millions of visitors. For example, the weights will be by download bandwidth thus company A providing twice the bandwidth of company B may appear higher on the download page more as often. If there are more participants than space available on the download pages, the pages will contain a set of random distros, with a link to a distros page that will contain all participants.
Isn't this just a "Mirror"?
No. Eclipse has many mirrors, but mirrors merely donate bandwidth. The user only interacts with the eclipse.org website even though the download ultimately comes from donated bandwidth. This program is an opportunity to have someone voluntarily visit a landing page on your website to download Eclipse projects. Some visitors may simply be there for a faster download, but visitors will have had to explicitly choose to "download from member sites" and then explicitly choose your company link. Seems like a great opportunity to further promote yourself! Wording of the link on the eclipse.org download page will make every attempt to direct people who 'just want the download damnit' to the eclipse.org and mirror infrastructure. This project is aimed to promote the ecosystem to those who are interested!
How do I get the Eclipse Project Bits and keep them updated?
To get the release-train bits and keep the up to date, you will use the same tool as the mirrors - RSYNC. You will need to tell us (see mirror information page below) what the internet-Facing IP address of your RSYNC client is, so we can allow you to RSYNC from eclipse.org. The IT staff of the member companies can look here for more details on being an Eclipse mirror. You do not need to fill out the form at the mir_request page (just email us the IP you will RSYNC from), but should observe other mirror instructions. Please contact us for more details.
How many clicks can we expect?
Current participants are reporting between 10-20k clicks per month coming from Eclipse.org. Some members have noted that by having a link from Eclipse.org, their hits from search engines has increased dramatically also.
Can I make my landing page smart about what the user is requesting?
Webmasters can choose to make your landing page auto-select the package/os that the user selected while on eclipse.org. By examining the referral URL (which will be the "mirror selection page" from Eclipse.org), webmasters can glean the package and platform information from the file. For example, if the referral URL was: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/galileo/RC4/eclipse-php-galileo-RC4-win32.zip this would indicate the user is trying to download the PHP tools for the Windows Platform.
How do I sign up?!
Send and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the following information:
- Company Name, Contact Name, Email and Phone Number.
- A 100 character max (including white-space) description of your landing page (i.e., mentioning things that might interest people such as technology, geography, etc)
- A 64px X 64px logo (gif, jpg, png)
- The amount of bandwidth you plan to allocate.
- Indicate which of the following Eclipse Packages you plan to host on your download page. Note, you must support downloads for all
operating systems available for each package.
- Eclipse IDE for JEE Developers
- Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers
- Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
- Eclipse Modeling Tools
- Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers
- Eclipse for RCP/Plug-in Developers
- Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
- Pulsar for Mobile Java Developers
- Eclipse Classic
- Eclipse SOA