Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Import Project Bug
Import Project Bug [message #288579] Wed, 20 July 2005 01:26 Go to next message
Joe Mihalich is currently offline Joe MihalichFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

I'm consistently having problems with the import project menu in
eclipse 3.0.2...I also obvserved it on 3.1.

When I import a java project (with an existing .project and
..classpath),
even if those files were created with the same version of Eclipse that
I'm running, and the project has compile errors, none of the java source
files have an "x" next to it indicating a compile error. The red x only
shows
up next to my folder that represents my top level package.

This is extremely frustrating. The only way for me to fix it, is to
delete the
existing .project, and .classpath files, and create a new project in the
same
directory. This of course means that I need to re-establish all the
jars and
everything the project is dependent on.

Is this a known issue, or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Joe
Re: Import Project Bug [message #288581 is a reply to message #288579] Wed, 20 July 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam Kiezun is currently offline Adam KiezunFriend
Messages: 219
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
" The red x only shows up next to my folder that represents my top
level package."

what does the error message say?
/adam
Re: Import Project Bug [message #288671 is a reply to message #288581] Thu, 21 July 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Mihalich is currently offline Joe MihalichFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
It doesn't say anything. The red x is on the folder icon next to the
project name. When I move my mouse over it, no tool tip pops up
to show any error.

Joe


"Adam Kiezun" <akiezun@mit.edu> wrote in message
news:dbkhln$cak$1@news.eclipse.org...
>" The red x only shows up next to my folder that represents my top level
>package."
>
> what does the error message say?
> /adam
Re: Import Project Bug [message #288687 is a reply to message #288671] Thu, 21 July 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eclipse3.rizzoweb.com

Joe Mihalich wrote:
> It doesn't say anything. The red x is on the folder icon next to the
> project name. When I move my mouse over it, no tool tip pops up
> to show any error.
>
> Joe
>
>
> "Adam Kiezun" <akiezun@mit.edu> wrote in message
> news:dbkhln$cak$1@news.eclipse.org...
>
>>" The red x only shows up next to my folder that represents my top level
>>package."
>>
>>what does the error message say?
>>/adam


What does your Problems view tell you? (make sure it does not have a
filter applied)
If you open the Project properties and select the Java Build Path, are
there any error/warning messages reported in the dialog?

HTH,
Eric
Re: Import Project Bug [message #288756 is a reply to message #288687] Fri, 22 July 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Mihalich is currently offline Joe MihalichFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
There is nothing the view => Errors window

The project properties dialog says this at the top:

Build path entry is missing: org.eclipse.jdt.USER_LIBRARY/core

the project doesn't use that, whatever it is, so why would it need it ?


"Eric Rizzo" <eclipse3@rizzoweb.com> wrote in message
news:dbocdn$nmu$2@news.eclipse.org...
> Joe Mihalich wrote:
>> It doesn't say anything. The red x is on the folder icon next to the
>> project name. When I move my mouse over it, no tool tip pops up
>> to show any error.
>>
>> Joe
>>
>>
>> "Adam Kiezun" <akiezun@mit.edu> wrote in message
>> news:dbkhln$cak$1@news.eclipse.org...
>>
>>>" The red x only shows up next to my folder that represents my top level
>>>package."
>>>
>>>what does the error message say?
>>>/adam
>
>
> What does your Problems view tell you? (make sure it does not have a
> filter applied)
> If you open the Project properties and select the Java Build Path, are
> there any error/warning messages reported in the dialog?
>
> HTH,
> Eric
Re: Import Project Bug [message #288813 is a reply to message #288756] Mon, 25 July 2005 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eclipse3.rizzoweb.com

Joe Mihalich wrote:
> There is nothing the view => Errors window
>
> The project properties dialog says this at the top:
>
> Build path entry is missing: org.eclipse.jdt.USER_LIBRARY/core
>
> the project doesn't use that, whatever it is, so why would it need it ?

I don't know what you mean by "view => Errors window", but I was talking
about the Problems view, which can be accessed via Window > Show View >
Problems

As for the message about USER_LIBRARY/core, somehow the project is
defined to use a User Library named core. You will need to either define
that library or remove it from the Libraries tab of the Java Build Path
dialog.
Did you perhaps inherit this project from someone else? Someone who
would have defined the "core" library to point to some library that this
project depends on?


HTH,
Eric
Re: Import Project Bug [message #288833 is a reply to message #288813] Mon, 25 July 2005 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Mihalich is currently offline Joe MihalichFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Ahh, sorry. I was referring to Window ==> Show View ==> Error Log,
that's what I thought you meant. Didn't even know the Problems view
existed. (doh!)

So, in that view it says: Unbound Classpath Container: 'core' in project
WM-Core

....then after that of course it says: The project cannot be built until
build path errors are resolved

What does this mean? What is the classpath container?

Thanks,
Joe




"Eric Rizzo" <eclipse3@rizzoweb.com> wrote in message
news:dc34cu$p62$1@news.eclipse.org...
> Joe Mihalich wrote:
>> There is nothing the view => Errors window
>>
>> The project properties dialog says this at the top:
>>
>> Build path entry is missing: org.eclipse.jdt.USER_LIBRARY/core
>>
>> the project doesn't use that, whatever it is, so why would it need it ?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "view => Errors window", but I was talking
> about the Problems view, which can be accessed via Window > Show View >
> Problems
>
> As for the message about USER_LIBRARY/core, somehow the project is defined
> to use a User Library named core. You will need to either define that
> library or remove it from the Libraries tab of the Java Build Path dialog.
> Did you perhaps inherit this project from someone else? Someone who would
> have defined the "core" library to point to some library that this project
> depends on?
>
>
> HTH,
> Eric
Re: Import Project Bug [message #289022 is a reply to message #288833] Wed, 27 July 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eclipse3.rizzoweb.com

Joe Mihalich wrote:
> Ahh, sorry. I was referring to Window ==> Show View ==> Error Log,
> that's what I thought you meant. Didn't even know the Problems view
> existed. (doh!)
>
> So, in that view it says: Unbound Classpath Container: 'core' in project
> WM-Core
>
> ...then after that of course it says: The project cannot be built until
> build path errors are resolved
>
> What does this mean? What is the classpath container?

Read the second part of my message again - you have to either define the
User Library "core" or remove it from the project's build path.
If you don't know how to do those things I suggest looking at the
Eclipse Help and go through the tutorials, because those are pretty
basic functions of the tool that you must understand.

HTH,
Eric


> "Eric Rizzo" <eclipse3@rizzoweb.com> wrote in message
> news:dc34cu$p62$1@news.eclipse.org...
>
>>Joe Mihalich wrote:
>>
>>>There is nothing the view => Errors window
>>>
>>>The project properties dialog says this at the top:
>>>
>>>Build path entry is missing: org.eclipse.jdt.USER_LIBRARY/core
>>>
>>>the project doesn't use that, whatever it is, so why would it need it ?
>>
>>I don't know what you mean by "view => Errors window", but I was talking
>>about the Problems view, which can be accessed via Window > Show View >
>>Problems
>>
>>As for the message about USER_LIBRARY/core, somehow the project is defined
>>to use a User Library named core. You will need to either define that
>>library or remove it from the Libraries tab of the Java Build Path dialog.
>>Did you perhaps inherit this project from someone else? Someone who would
>>have defined the "core" library to point to some library that this project
>>depends on?
>>
>>
>>HTH,
>>Eric
>
>
>
Re: Import Project Bug [message #296205 is a reply to message #288579] Fri, 16 December 2005 19:21 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dwelzel+eclipse.gmail.com

I realize the original thread is a bit old, but I've observed a similiar
problem with 3.1.1. When I import a project, the build always fails
with an error like:

Project Foo is missing required library: "lib/bar.jar"

However, the jar that is supposedly missing does indeed exist in the
correct location. Furthermore, when I open the project properties and
look at the build path, everything is fine and there are no warnings
that a required library is missing.

I've tried cleaning the project and starting over, but no luck. The
only thing that seems to resolve this problem is editing the project to
remove one of the libraries from the build path and then readding it.
This effectively touches .classpath, but doesn't actually modify it.
Once I do this, the build works just fine.



Joe Mihalich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm consistently having problems with the import project menu in
> eclipse 3.0.2...I also obvserved it on 3.1.
>
> When I import a java project (with an existing .project and
> .classpath),
> even if those files were created with the same version of Eclipse that
> I'm running, and the project has compile errors, none of the java source
> files have an "x" next to it indicating a compile error. The red x only
> shows
> up next to my folder that represents my top level package.
>
> This is extremely frustrating. The only way for me to fix it, is to
> delete the
> existing .project, and .classpath files, and create a new project in the
> same
> directory. This of course means that I need to re-establish all the
> jars and
> everything the project is dependent on.
>
> Is this a known issue, or is there a way to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
>
Previous Topic:Can't get eclipse 3.1.1 to work reliably on linux AMD64
Next Topic:How to open a view programmatically?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 00:38:38 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03541 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software