Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4
User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225324] Wed, 17 December 2008 08:01 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

Hello,

I've upgraded Eclipse to version 3.4. I was developing web applications and testing using WST. After upgrade to 3.4, user library entries from J2EE Module Dependencies are not copied to WEB-INF/lib. Was something changed in this area between 3.3 and 3.4?

Thanks,
Viliam
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225331 is a reply to message #225324] Wed, 17 December 2008 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

Seems like a bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=239859

Viliam Durina wrote / napísal(a):
> Hello,
>
> I've upgraded Eclipse to version 3.4. I was developing web applications
> and testing using WST. After upgrade to 3.4, user library entries from
> J2EE Module Dependencies are not copied to WEB-INF/lib. Was something
> changed in this area between 3.3 and 3.4?
>
> Thanks,
> Viliam
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225346 is a reply to message #225324] Wed, 17 December 2008 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1297
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Viliam Durina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've upgraded Eclipse to version 3.4. I was developing web applications
> and testing using WST. After upgrade to 3.4, user library entries from
> J2EE Module Dependencies are not copied to WEB-INF/lib. Was something
> changed in this area between 3.3 and 3.4?
>
> Thanks,
> Viliam

If you recreate the use case using new projects, do you get the same
behavior? Since each server adapter is responsible for publishing,
which server are you using? Also, are you using just the Eclipse
Platform and WTP (with dependencies) or are there other plug-ins, such
as Maven support, involved with the problem projects?

Cheers,
Larry
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225353 is a reply to message #225324] Wed, 17 December 2008 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: mauro.molinari.cardinis.com

Viliam Durina ha scritto:
> I've upgraded Eclipse to version 3.4. I was developing web applications
> and testing using WST. After upgrade to 3.4, user library entries from
> J2EE Module Dependencies are not copied to WEB-INF/lib. Was something
> changed in this area between 3.3 and 3.4?

Maybe a buildpath problem?

Mauro.
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225409 is a reply to message #225353] Thu, 18 December 2008 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: henning.bredel.gmx.de

--=-xC824pHGkuFibelK8QP8
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 15:40 +0100, Mauro Molinari wrote:

> Maybe a buildpath problem?

Well, I've got the same problem on ganymede so I switched
back to eclipse-Europa.

I rechecked buildpath several times and changed the deploy
path to .metadata/.plugins/.../tmp0/webapp as well as to
the tomcat webapp folder but nothing worked.

My post here in the newsgroup didn't get any response from
anybody, so I thought I messed up something. Here, what I
posted on 27th of November:

,----------------
Hi,

I recognized that third party libraries of an external=3D20
project (declared as a J2EE Module Dependency each) are
not recognized when running a web application in eclipse
Ganymede. (libs are marked as exported as well)

In Europa I had to declare an external project as a J2EE
Module Dependency (plus used 3rd party libs) intending to
let the webapplication know and run the external project=3D20
code. That worked, but Ganymede doesn't get the path to
the runtime libraries used (classes folder is recognized).

Is this a known issue, bug or is there another way to let
a webapplication run code of another project??

Thx and kind regards

Henning
`-----------------

I appreciate any help

Best regards

Henning

--=20
. . . no signature

--=-xC824pHGkuFibelK8QP8
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: This is a digitally signed message part

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEABECAAYFAklKaw4ACgkQEJ9janMfFUH7NgCgr3iAMf4EKbUNyUMIe5/U xNK5
RNkAmwegaNdIN6NtpE0S1qhSy41gqpZO
=yjuA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--=-xC824pHGkuFibelK8QP8--
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225455 is a reply to message #225409] Thu, 18 December 2008 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1297
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
How was the project "moved" from Europa to Ganymede?

1. Opened Europa workspace with Ganymede
2. Imported or checked out projects into Ganymede workspace
3. Recreated projects in Ganymede workspace

A simple test worked for me. So the challenge is to figure out what is
different in your use case. If the answer above was not #3, what
happens when you create a similar scenario with new projects. Do the
jars get published in that case?

Cheers,
Larry

Henning Bredel wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 15:40 +0100, Mauro Molinari wrote:
>
>> Maybe a buildpath problem?
>
> Well, I've got the same problem on ganymede so I switched
> back to eclipse-Europa.
>
> I rechecked buildpath several times and changed the deploy
> path to .metadata/.plugins/.../tmp0/webapp as well as to
> the tomcat webapp folder but nothing worked.
>
> My post here in the newsgroup didn't get any response from
> anybody, so I thought I messed up something. Here, what I
> posted on 27th of November:
>
> ,----------------
> Hi,
>
> I recognized that third party libraries of an external=20
> project (declared as a J2EE Module Dependency each) are
> not recognized when running a web application in eclipse
> Ganymede. (libs are marked as exported as well)
>
> In Europa I had to declare an external project as a J2EE
> Module Dependency (plus used 3rd party libs) intending to
> let the webapplication know and run the external project=20
> code. That worked, but Ganymede doesn't get the path to
> the runtime libraries used (classes folder is recognized).
>
> Is this a known issue, bug or is there another way to let
> a webapplication run code of another project??
>
> Thx and kind regards
>
> Henning
> `-----------------
>
> I appreciate any help
>
> Best regards
>
> Henning
>
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225471 is a reply to message #225455] Fri, 19 December 2008 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

I tried 1 and that's was my original problem - libs not copied.
Then I tried 2, no success.
Today I tried 3 and it worked, but only for the first time. I started the published application successfully, but then, I don't know what I did, it stopped working: again no user-libraries in web-inf/lib. I gave it up, returned to 3.3 and will wait until 3.5, there's nothing that important for me in 3.4 :(

Viliam

Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
> How was the project "moved" from Europa to Ganymede?
>
> 1. Opened Europa workspace with Ganymede
> 2. Imported or checked out projects into Ganymede workspace
> 3. Recreated projects in Ganymede workspace
>
> A simple test worked for me. So the challenge is to figure out what is
> different in your use case. If the answer above was not #3, what
> happens when you create a similar scenario with new projects. Do the
> jars get published in that case?
>
> Cheers,
> Larry
>
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225478 is a reply to message #225471] Fri, 19 December 2008 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1297
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The risk with waiting for 3.5 is that it will more likely behave like
3.4 than 3.3. It would be better to determine why it's happening in
your 3.4 Eclipse so it can be fixed in a future version. I would assume
many users of WTP have used scenario #3. If there was something
fundamentally broken, like this problem, we would be hearing from a lot
more users. Since we are not, it would seem to imply there is something
unique about your use case and/or Eclipse environment. It's possible
that what is unique isn't supported, but I don't see any reason to
assume that at this point.

There isn't much information with which to speculate about what's
unique, other than you upgraded from 3.3 to 3.4. Perhaps something
didn't upgrade quite right for some unknown reason. It wouldn't hurt to
grab the current 3.4.1 Java EE package and try scenarios 2 and 3 to see
if the problem behavior still occurs with your use case in an known
Eclipse environment. Also, it would be helpful to know which server you
are using.

Cheers,
Larry


Viliam Durina wrote:
> I tried 1 and that's was my original problem - libs not copied.
> Then I tried 2, no success.
> Today I tried 3 and it worked, but only for the first time. I started
> the published application successfully, but then, I don't know what I
> did, it stopped working: again no user-libraries in web-inf/lib. I gave
> it up, returned to 3.3 and will wait until 3.5, there's nothing that
> important for me in 3.4 :(
>
> Viliam
>
> Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
>> How was the project "moved" from Europa to Ganymede?
>>
>> 1. Opened Europa workspace with Ganymede
>> 2. Imported or checked out projects into Ganymede workspace
>> 3. Recreated projects in Ganymede workspace
>>
>> A simple test worked for me. So the challenge is to figure out what is
>> different in your use case. If the answer above was not #3, what
>> happens when you create a similar scenario with new projects. Do the
>> jars get published in that case?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Larry
>>
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225492 is a reply to message #225455] Sat, 20 December 2008 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: henning.bredel.gmx.de

--=-Rh/lbj3WXjNVwl1A1XZ7
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 17:01 -0500, Larry Isaacs wrote:
> How was the project "moved" from Europa to Ganymede?
>=20
> 1. Opened Europa workspace with Ganymede
> 2. Imported or checked out projects into Ganymede workspace

This was the first try. I read some days ago, that when=20
switching to a new version, an import would do a better
job. So I started ganymede created a new workspace and
imported the webapp project from my old europa workspace
into the new ganymede workspace -> no success.

> 3. Recreated projects in Ganymede workspace

Well, honestly: I did not tried this because it would not
solve my problem on an existing problem ;). I would give
you an ACK to start here, tracing the problem. I will give
it a try today and give a response.

Thanks

Henning

--=20
. . . no signature

--=-Rh/lbj3WXjNVwl1A1XZ7
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: This is a digitally signed message part

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEABECAAYFAklM3GsACgkQEJ9janMfFUG8zwCfXRuqSbhUhsnB7mD/hPCN HAv4
9SAAnjbWS6koHm+w205bqpdhY4hyqqyl
=fN9P
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--=-Rh/lbj3WXjNVwl1A1XZ7--
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225544 is a reply to message #225478] Mon, 22 December 2008 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

I use Apache Tomcat 5.5. I'm trying once more...
V.
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225558 is a reply to message #225492] Mon, 22 December 2008 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: henning.bredel.gmx.de

--=-PIfn68VrahS8j+tMqp8o
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

[dunno why my mails don't come through sometimes .. so here
again, what I responded to my mail from Sat 20.12.2008]

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 12:52 +0100, Henning Bredel wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 17:01 -0500, Larry Isaacs wrote:
> > 3. Recreated projects in Ganymede workspace
>=20
> Well, honestly: I did not tried this because it would not
> solve my problem on an existing problem ;). I would give
> you an ACK to start here, tracing the problem. I will give
> it a try today and give a response.

Ok, that worked fine for me. I've to mention, that I got
a NullpointerException when I try to mark the 3rd party
lib as ModuleDependency within my external project. Using
the `select all' button worked fine.

I'm not sure if it could be useful to mention, that in
europa I never had the possibility to mark a 3rd party
lib as module dependency within the external project ^^.
I always imported them within the module dependencies
config menu of the webapplication.

I had another try on a fresh workspace. After importing
the `existing projects' (webapp && ext. project) I declared
the 3rd party libs as module dependency within the external
project and it worked :).

The only thing was, to twiddle a bit when selecting the 3rd
party libs as module dependency (ignoring NullpointerExc's,
rechecking selection, doing selection in different order,..)

Note that the resulting Nullpointer Exceptions are some=20
kind of confusing the user. Maybe that is the only point.

Hope that helps someone else.

Best regards

Henning

--=20
. . . no signature

--=-PIfn68VrahS8j+tMqp8o
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: This is a digitally signed message part

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEABECAAYFAklP0WIACgkQEJ9janMfFUFSAQCeLP13i3WL7eQTo3ZRwEAI GLUB
Z4QAoJABmOqa9UgMv7jP1gixxwJGjtGI
=Xd6y
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--=-PIfn68VrahS8j+tMqp8o--
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #225619 is a reply to message #225558] Tue, 23 December 2008 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1297
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Henning Bredel wrote:
> [dunno why my mails don't come through sometimes .. so here
> again, what I responded to my mail from Sat 20.12.2008]
>
> On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 12:52 +0100, Henning Bredel wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 17:01 -0500, Larry Isaacs wrote:
>>> 3. Recreated projects in Ganymede workspace
>> Well, honestly: I did not tried this because it would not
>> solve my problem on an existing problem ;). I would give
>> you an ACK to start here, tracing the problem. I will give
>> it a try today and give a response.
>
> Ok, that worked fine for me. I've to mention, that I got
> a NullpointerException when I try to mark the 3rd party
> lib as ModuleDependency within my external project. Using
> the `select all' button worked fine.

Probably: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=246670

>
> I'm not sure if it could be useful to mention, that in
> europa I never had the possibility to mark a 3rd party
> lib as module dependency within the external project ^^.
> I always imported them within the module dependencies
> config menu of the webapplication.
>
> I had another try on a fresh workspace. After importing
> the `existing projects' (webapp && ext. project) I declared
> the 3rd party libs as module dependency within the external
> project and it worked :).
>
> The only thing was, to twiddle a bit when selecting the 3rd
> party libs as module dependency (ignoring NullpointerExc's,
> rechecking selection, doing selection in different order,..)
>
> Note that the resulting Nullpointer Exceptions are some
> kind of confusing the user. Maybe that is the only point.
>
> Hope that helps someone else.

I'd be curious under which Eclipse the problem projects were originally
created. I'm speculating that something about the way things worked
enough versions back isn't migrating successfully to Eclipse 3.4.

Cheers,
Larry
>
> Best regards
>
> Henning
>
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #228193 is a reply to message #225455] Mon, 23 February 2009 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

Is something new here? A week or two ago, still on Eclipse 3.3, colleague said that he successfully upgraded to 3.4 by scenario 3 (recreate projects in Ganymede workspace). I did it too and it worked until today, when it just stopped.

I regularly have problems with user libraries, when upon startup eclipse complains that some classes cannot be found, even though they are on their place like the previous day. I resolve it by moving the jar files in the user library definition up and down - eclipse then rebuilds and it works until next restart. By the way, this problem persists since Eclipse 3.2 (when I started using eclipse). I have about 20 user libraries, but always the same single library had problem. Today morning unusually two were affected.

I'd be glad to help fix this, but my workspace is about 450MB and 40000 files... If you could give me a hint how to debug, where to put the breakpoint and what to check for, I could give it a try...

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
Viliam

Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
> How was the project "moved" from Europa to Ganymede?
>
> 1. Opened Europa workspace with Ganymede
> 2. Imported or checked out projects into Ganymede workspace
> 3. Recreated projects in Ganymede workspace
>
> A simple test worked for me. So the challenge is to figure out what is
> different in your use case. If the answer above was not #3, what
> happens when you create a similar scenario with new projects. Do the
> jars get published in that case?
>
> Cheers,
> Larry
>
> Henning Bredel wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 15:40 +0100, Mauro Molinari wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe a buildpath problem?
>>
>> Well, I've got the same problem on ganymede so I switched
>> back to eclipse-Europa.
>>
>> I rechecked buildpath several times and changed the deploy
>> path to .metadata/.plugins/.../tmp0/webapp as well as to
>> the tomcat webapp folder but nothing worked.
>>
>> My post here in the newsgroup didn't get any response from
>> anybody, so I thought I messed up something. Here, what I
>> posted on 27th of November:
>>
>> ,----------------
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recognized that third party libraries of an external=20
>> project (declared as a J2EE Module Dependency each) are
>> not recognized when running a web application in eclipse
>> Ganymede. (libs are marked as exported as well)
>>
>> In Europa I had to declare an external project as a J2EE
>> Module Dependency (plus used 3rd party libs) intending to
>> let the webapplication know and run the external project=20
>> code. That worked, but Ganymede doesn't get the path to
>> the runtime libraries used (classes folder is recognized).
>>
>> Is this a known issue, bug or is there another way to let
>> a webapplication run code of another project??
>>
>> Thx and kind regards
>>
>> Henning
>> `-----------------
>>
>> I appreciate any help
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Henning
>>
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #228209 is a reply to message #228193] Mon, 23 February 2009 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1297
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Viliam Durina wrote:
> Is something new here? A week or two ago, still on Eclipse 3.3,
> colleague said that he successfully upgraded to 3.4 by scenario 3
> (recreate projects in Ganymede workspace). I did it too and it worked
> until today, when it just stopped.
> I regularly have problems with user libraries, when upon startup eclipse
> complains that some classes cannot be found, even though they are on
> their place like the previous day. I resolve it by moving the jar files
> in the user library definition up and down - eclipse then rebuilds and
> it works until next restart. By the way, this problem persists since
> Eclipse 3.2 (when I started using eclipse). I have about 20 user
> libraries, but always the same single library had problem. Today morning
> unusually two were affected.
>
> I'd be glad to help fix this, but my workspace is about 450MB and 40000
> files... If you could give me a hint how to debug, where to put the
> breakpoint and what to check for, I could give it a try...
>
> Does anyone else have this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Viliam
>

To make sure you get the right source code for your version of WTP, what
is the version number on the org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core plug-in
jar in you "eclipse/plugins" directory?

Cheers,
Larry
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #228234 is a reply to message #228209] Tue, 24 February 2009 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

The version is org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core_1.1.103.v20080827.jar.

Yesterday, I made it working by checking "Serve modules without publishing". But today morning the server again stopped working - it seems as if no application was deployed: startup in 1500ms, no errors. Normally it takes about 40 secs (our app. initializes long). After unchecking the option the app. was deployed, but no user libraries. Removing the app and adding again - no help. Recreating the server - no help.

Viliam

Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
> Viliam Durina wrote:
>> Is something new here? A week or two ago, still on Eclipse 3.3,
>> colleague said that he successfully upgraded to 3.4 by scenario 3
>> (recreate projects in Ganymede workspace). I did it too and it worked
>> until today, when it just stopped.
>> I regularly have problems with user libraries, when upon startup
>> eclipse complains that some classes cannot be found, even though they
>> are on their place like the previous day. I resolve it by moving the
>> jar files in the user library definition up and down - eclipse then
>> rebuilds and it works until next restart. By the way, this problem
>> persists since Eclipse 3.2 (when I started using eclipse). I have
>> about 20 user libraries, but always the same single library had
>> problem. Today morning unusually two were affected.
>>
>> I'd be glad to help fix this, but my workspace is about 450MB and
>> 40000 files... If you could give me a hint how to debug, where to put
>> the breakpoint and what to check for, I could give it a try...
>>
>> Does anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Viliam
>>
>
> To make sure you get the right source code for your version of WTP, what
> is the version number on the org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core plug-in
> jar in you "eclipse/plugins" directory?
>
> Cheers,
> Larry
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #228254 is a reply to message #228234] Tue, 24 February 2009 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

Don't mind the "no application deployed" problem, it was due to adding the JAXWS library with about 10 jar files, when some of them probably overbeat the tomcat jars and the deploy did not work.
After removing the jars I'm again at 3.4 with "Serve modules without publishing" option.
Viliam

Viliam Durina wrote / napísal(a):
> The version is org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core_1.1.103.v20080827.jar.
>
> Yesterday, I made it working by checking "Serve modules without
> publishing". But today morning the server again stopped working - it
> seems as if no application was deployed: startup in 1500ms, no errors.
> Normally it takes about 40 secs (our app. initializes long). After
> unchecking the option the app. was deployed, but no user libraries.
> Removing the app and adding again - no help. Recreating the server - no
> help.
>
> Viliam
>
> Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
>> Viliam Durina wrote:
>>> Is something new here? A week or two ago, still on Eclipse 3.3,
>>> colleague said that he successfully upgraded to 3.4 by scenario 3
>>> (recreate projects in Ganymede workspace). I did it too and it worked
>>> until today, when it just stopped.
>>> I regularly have problems with user libraries, when upon startup
>>> eclipse complains that some classes cannot be found, even though they
>>> are on their place like the previous day. I resolve it by moving the
>>> jar files in the user library definition up and down - eclipse then
>>> rebuilds and it works until next restart. By the way, this problem
>>> persists since Eclipse 3.2 (when I started using eclipse). I have
>>> about 20 user libraries, but always the same single library had
>>> problem. Today morning unusually two were affected.
>>>
>>> I'd be glad to help fix this, but my workspace is about 450MB and
>>> 40000 files... If you could give me a hint how to debug, where to put
>>> the breakpoint and what to check for, I could give it a try...
>>>
>>> Does anyone else have this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Viliam
>>>
>>
>> To make sure you get the right source code for your version of WTP,
>> what is the version number on the org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core
>> plug-in jar in you "eclipse/plugins" directory?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Larry
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [message #228276 is a reply to message #228254] Tue, 24 February 2009 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1297
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
If you want to debug why normal publishing isn't behaving properly,
here's how you can do it. Some of the following steps you may have
already done or are already aware of.

1. Switch to or start Eclipse in a new workspace.
2. Switch to the CVS Repository Exploring perspective and right-click in
the CVS Repositories view and select New -> Repository Location.
3. Enter Host="dev.eclipse.org", Repository path="/cvsroot/webtools",
User="anonymous" and leave the other defaults. Then click Finish.
4. In the tree that appears, expand Versions and
org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core. Right-click on
"org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core v20080827" and select Checkout.
5. Repeat for "org.eclipse.wst.server core v20080730".
6. Switch to the Plug-in Development perspective.
7. Execute Run -> "Debug Configurations". Then right-click on Eclipse
Application and select New.
8. In the configuration dialog, modify the Location setting on the Main
tab to point to the workspace you normally work with. Also, on the
Arguments tab, add any VM arguments you normally run with, especially
memory size arguments, including "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m". It is also
easy to enable tracing on the Tracing tab if desired.

Now should be able to run this launch configuration in debug mode and
operate on your normal workspace. The normal publishing uses the
org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core.internal.PublishOperation 2 class to
do most of the work. It makes use of
org.eclipse.wst.server.core.util.PublishHelper for some utility methods
to help out. It's not clear if the jar you expect to be copied is
missing from the list of what should be copied, or the copy is failing
for some unknown reason.

See how far you get with this info. Let me know what additional details
are needed.

Cheers,
Larry

Viliam Durina wrote:
> Don't mind the "no application deployed" problem, it was due to adding
> the JAXWS library with about 10 jar files, when some of them probably
> overbeat the tomcat jars and the deploy did not work.
> After removing the jars I'm again at 3.4 with "Serve modules without
> publishing" option.
> Viliam
>
> Viliam Durina wrote / napísal(a):
>> The version is org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core_1.1.103.v20080827.jar.
>>
>> Yesterday, I made it working by checking "Serve modules without
>> publishing". But today morning the server again stopped working - it
>> seems as if no application was deployed: startup in 1500ms, no errors.
>> Normally it takes about 40 secs (our app. initializes long). After
>> unchecking the option the app. was deployed, but no user libraries.
>> Removing the app and adding again - no help. Recreating the server -
>> no help.
>>
>> Viliam
>>
>> Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
>>> Viliam Durina wrote:
>>>> Is something new here? A week or two ago, still on Eclipse 3.3,
>>>> colleague said that he successfully upgraded to 3.4 by scenario 3
>>>> (recreate projects in Ganymede workspace). I did it too and it
>>>> worked until today, when it just stopped.
>>>> I regularly have problems with user libraries, when upon startup
>>>> eclipse complains that some classes cannot be found, even though
>>>> they are on their place like the previous day. I resolve it by
>>>> moving the jar files in the user library definition up and down -
>>>> eclipse then rebuilds and it works until next restart. By the way,
>>>> this problem persists since Eclipse 3.2 (when I started using
>>>> eclipse). I have about 20 user libraries, but always the same single
>>>> library had problem. Today morning unusually two were affected.
>>>>
>>>> I'd be glad to help fix this, but my workspace is about 450MB and
>>>> 40000 files... If you could give me a hint how to debug, where to
>>>> put the breakpoint and what to check for, I could give it a try...
>>>>
>>>> Does anyone else have this problem?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Viliam
>>>>
>>>
>>> To make sure you get the right source code for your version of WTP,
>>> what is the version number on the org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core
>>> plug-in jar in you "eclipse/plugins" directory?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Larry
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [SOLVED] [message #228382 is a reply to message #228276] Thu, 26 February 2009 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: viliam.durina.gmail.com

Thanks to Larry and his hints for debugging I found the source cause of this: don't use WEB-INF/classes as the default output folder. There is a bug (probably), that makes eclipse to calculate project contents differently in this case.

So the workaround solution is to change the default output folder.

Viliam

Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
> If you want to debug why normal publishing isn't behaving properly,
> here's how you can do it. Some of the following steps you may have
> already done or are already aware of.
>
> 1. Switch to or start Eclipse in a new workspace.
> 2. Switch to the CVS Repository Exploring perspective and right-click in
> the CVS Repositories view and select New -> Repository Location.
> 3. Enter Host="dev.eclipse.org", Repository path="/cvsroot/webtools",
> User="anonymous" and leave the other defaults. Then click Finish.
> 4. In the tree that appears, expand Versions and
> org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core. Right-click on
> "org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core v20080827" and select Checkout.
> 5. Repeat for "org.eclipse.wst.server core v20080730".
> 6. Switch to the Plug-in Development perspective.
> 7. Execute Run -> "Debug Configurations". Then right-click on Eclipse
> Application and select New.
> 8. In the configuration dialog, modify the Location setting on the Main
> tab to point to the workspace you normally work with. Also, on the
> Arguments tab, add any VM arguments you normally run with, especially
> memory size arguments, including "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m". It is also
> easy to enable tracing on the Tracing tab if desired.
>
> Now should be able to run this launch configuration in debug mode and
> operate on your normal workspace. The normal publishing uses the
> org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core.internal.PublishOperation 2 class to
> do most of the work. It makes use of
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.util.PublishHelper for some utility methods
> to help out. It's not clear if the jar you expect to be copied is
> missing from the list of what should be copied, or the copy is failing
> for some unknown reason.
>
> See how far you get with this info. Let me know what additional details
> are needed.
>
> Cheers,
> Larry
>
> Viliam Durina wrote:
>> Don't mind the "no application deployed" problem, it was due to adding
>> the JAXWS library with about 10 jar files, when some of them probably
>> overbeat the tomcat jars and the deploy did not work.
>> After removing the jars I'm again at 3.4 with "Serve modules without
>> publishing" option.
>> Viliam
>>
>> Viliam Durina wrote / napísal(a):
>>> The version is org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core_1.1.103.v20080827.jar.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I made it working by checking "Serve modules without
>>> publishing". But today morning the server again stopped working - it
>>> seems as if no application was deployed: startup in 1500ms, no
>>> errors. Normally it takes about 40 secs (our app. initializes long).
>>> After unchecking the option the app. was deployed, but no user
>>> libraries. Removing the app and adding again - no help. Recreating
>>> the server - no help.
>>>
>>> Viliam
>>>
>>> Larry Isaacs wrote / napísal(a):
>>>> Viliam Durina wrote:
>>>>> Is something new here? A week or two ago, still on Eclipse 3.3,
>>>>> colleague said that he successfully upgraded to 3.4 by scenario 3
>>>>> (recreate projects in Ganymede workspace). I did it too and it
>>>>> worked until today, when it just stopped.
>>>>> I regularly have problems with user libraries, when upon startup
>>>>> eclipse complains that some classes cannot be found, even though
>>>>> they are on their place like the previous day. I resolve it by
>>>>> moving the jar files in the user library definition up and down -
>>>>> eclipse then rebuilds and it works until next restart. By the way,
>>>>> this problem persists since Eclipse 3.2 (when I started using
>>>>> eclipse). I have about 20 user libraries, but always the same
>>>>> single library had problem. Today morning unusually two were affected.
>>>>>
>>>>> I'd be glad to help fix this, but my workspace is about 450MB and
>>>>> 40000 files... If you could give me a hint how to debug, where to
>>>>> put the breakpoint and what to check for, I could give it a try...
>>>>>
>>>>> Does anyone else have this problem?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Viliam
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> To make sure you get the right source code for your version of WTP,
>>>> what is the version number on the org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core
>>>> plug-in jar in you "eclipse/plugins" directory?
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Larry
Re: User libraries not copied to WEB-INF/lib after eclipse upgrade to 3.4 [SOLVED] [message #228410 is a reply to message #228382] Thu, 26 February 2009 09:05 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1297
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Viliam Durina wrote:
> Thanks to Larry and his hints for debugging I found the source cause of
> this: don't use WEB-INF/classes as the default output folder. There is a
> bug (probably), that makes eclipse to calculate project contents
> differently in this case.
>
> So the workaround solution is to change the default output folder.
>
> Viliam
>

I'm glad you found the cause and thanks for entering Bug 266268.
However, I'm not sure if J2EEFlexProjDeployable.isSingleRootStructure()
returning true is necessarily incorrect behavior. Originally it was for
projects where the web content was in the root of the project and
classes were built to <project>/WEB-INF/classes. Even with separate
"src" and "WebContent" folders, I think building the Java classes into
"WebContent\WEB-INF\classes" still qualifies as "single root". It
differs in that "WebContent" is now the "root" instead of the project's
root folder. However, the Java classes are already included in the "web
content" portion of the project and don't have to be merged, which I
think is the main point of "single root".

It may help if you could add to the Bug any info you have about where
things go wrong calculating the members() result. That may be where the
problem lies, or at least part of it. It may be that "project root
single root" needs to be distinguished from "WebContent single root".

Thanks,
Larry

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=266268
Previous Topic:Re: Weblogic 10 integration issue in Eclipse 3.4.1
Next Topic:How to disable webbrowser after launching my project?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Jul 24 19:16:31 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03829 seconds