Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » general newbie question(s)
general newbie question(s) [message #196304] Tue, 17 February 2004 12:54 Go to next message
Mark Geib is currently offline Mark Geib
Messages: 432
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I plan on using Eclipse with a graphical editor to access and modifiy data
in an object database. I have already developed the model for the editor
and other views with EMF. Now I am at the point of needing to load or
create an instance of the model for the editor to use.

My question is this. Is there an example of doing something similar that
would give me an idea on how to have Eclipse run with out something like a
'project'.??

I would like to have a navigation view that presents a simple list of
'records' in the database, then a selection of a record would 'load' or
create an instance of the model for editing. I would like the navigation
view to load automatically when I start Eclipse to get things started.
There should be no dependency on a 'file' or 'project'.

Thanks for any help.

Mark.
Re: general newbie question(s) [message #198529 is a reply to message #196304] Fri, 20 February 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Geib is currently offline Mark Geib
Messages: 432
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
One more time...

Mark Geib wrote:

> I plan on using Eclipse with a graphical editor to access and modifiy data
> in an object database. I have already developed the model for the editor
> and other views with EMF. Now I am at the point of needing to load or
> create an instance of the model for the editor to use.

> My question is this. Is there an example of doing something similar that
> would give me an idea on how to have Eclipse run with out something like a
> 'project'.??

> I would like to have a navigation view that presents a simple list of
> 'records' in the database, then a selection of a record would 'load' or
> create an instance of the model for editing. I would like the navigation
> view to load automatically when I start Eclipse to get things started.
> There should be no dependency on a 'file' or 'project'.

> Thanks for any help.

> Mark.
Re: general newbie question(s) [message #200899 is a reply to message #198529] Tue, 24 February 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: nick_edgar._no.spam.please_.ca.ibm.com

Mark,

You can write your plugin to work inside the Eclipse SDK and simply ignore
the workspace model. There is no requirement that your plugins include a
dependency on the org.eclipse.core.resources plugin (where IWorkspace,
IProject, IFolder, IFile, etc are defined).

Alternatively, you can write your own standalone application based on
Eclipse. For more info on the latter, please see:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-ui-home/rcp-proposal/rich_client_platform_facilities.ht ml

Either way, you probably want to create your own perspective containing your
own view(s). The view can populate itself when it is opened. You might
want to use the jobs API to do this in the background. See:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform -core-home/plan_concurrency.html

HTH,
Nick


"Mark Geib" <mark.geib@echostar.com> wrote in message
news:c15a5p$58l$1@eclipse.org...
> One more time...
>
> Mark Geib wrote:
>
> > I plan on using Eclipse with a graphical editor to access and modifiy
data
> > in an object database. I have already developed the model for the editor
> > and other views with EMF. Now I am at the point of needing to load or
> > create an instance of the model for the editor to use.
>
> > My question is this. Is there an example of doing something similar that
> > would give me an idea on how to have Eclipse run with out something like
a
> > 'project'.??
>
> > I would like to have a navigation view that presents a simple list of
> > 'records' in the database, then a selection of a record would 'load' or
> > create an instance of the model for editing. I would like the navigation
> > view to load automatically when I start Eclipse to get things started.
> > There should be no dependency on a 'file' or 'project'.
>
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> > Mark.
>
>
Re: general newbie question(s) [message #201768 is a reply to message #200899] Wed, 25 February 2004 15:28 Go to previous message
Mark Geib is currently offline Mark Geib
Messages: 432
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

I quickly read through the tutorial on rcp, and this sounds almost perfect.

Can you comment on the stability of Eclipse 3 at this point. I was shooting
for delivery of this app in late April, but need to start implementing now
of course.

Mark.

Nick Edgar wrote:

> Mark,

> You can write your plugin to work inside the Eclipse SDK and simply ignore
> the workspace model. There is no requirement that your plugins include a
> dependency on the org.eclipse.core.resources plugin (where IWorkspace,
> IProject, IFolder, IFile, etc are defined).

> Alternatively, you can write your own standalone application based on
> Eclipse. For more info on the latter, please see:
>
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-ui-home/rcp-proposal/rich_client_platform_facilities.ht ml

> Either way, you probably want to create your own perspective containing your
> own view(s). The view can populate itself when it is opened. You might
> want to use the jobs API to do this in the background. See:
>
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform -core-home/plan_concurrency.html

> HTH,
> Nick


> "Mark Geib" <mark.geib@echostar.com> wrote in message
> news:c15a5p$58l$1@eclipse.org...
> > One more time...
> >
> > Mark Geib wrote:
> >
> > > I plan on using Eclipse with a graphical editor to access and modifiy
> data
> > > in an object database. I have already developed the model for the editor
> > > and other views with EMF. Now I am at the point of needing to load or
> > > create an instance of the model for the editor to use.
> >
> > > My question is this. Is there an example of doing something similar that
> > > would give me an idea on how to have Eclipse run with out something like
> a
> > > 'project'.??
> >
> > > I would like to have a navigation view that presents a simple list of
> > > 'records' in the database, then a selection of a record would 'load' or
> > > create an instance of the model for editing. I would like the navigation
> > > view to load automatically when I start Eclipse to get things started.
> > > There should be no dependency on a 'file' or 'project'.
> >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > > Mark.
> >
> >
Previous Topic:question?
Next Topic:Java debugger does not work with Eclipse 2.1.2
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Jul 24 21:42:59 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02043 seconds