Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » runs with pathing error(runs with pathing error)
runs with pathing error [message #901224] Fri, 10 August 2012 12:20 Go to next message
first last is currently offline first lastFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: August 2012
Junior Member
Hopefully this is just a simple fix. First time setting this up and using it so I am a newbie to eclipse. I am Running Windows 7 and I am using the most rescent version of eclipse juno as of 8/8/2012 from the eclipse download site. I am using the cygwin cdt's. Through a process of following setup instructions from a few sites i have it setup at least to a point to where it will run the hello world program. But, it runs with a single error.

The Error is:
Program "${XL_compilerRoot}\xlC"not found in path

Now it also gives me a location to the issue and I have looked here with confusion to try and fix it.

Location is here:
Preferences,c++/Build/Settings/Discovery,[CDT XLC Builtin Compiler Settings] options

And i guess type is type of problem just sates:
C/C++ Scanner Discovery Problem


Now one thing I did notice, when i goto properties of the project -> C/C++ Build -> XL C/C++ Compiler (shown in C_C++_build.jpg) it shows compiler location of "/usr/vacpp/bin". I assume its referring to the cygwin folder. If it is, I do not see in the folders in my cygwin directory a vacpp folder. Which of course would explain the path error. I just would not understand though if cygwin sets up its folders based on the catagories you select, why would this folder not be created. I don't know i could be completely off too.
Just at a loss now not sure where to go. Forgive me if its already posted. I looked and will continue to look just trying to find someone that may have something posted similar to my issue. Who knows i might even be looking in the wrong spot. If more info is needed pls let me know.
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901231 is a reply to message #901224] Fri, 10 August 2012 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joost Kraaijeveld is currently offline Joost KraaijeveldFriend
Messages: 192
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 10/08/12 14:20, first last wrote:
> Hopefully this is just a simple fix. First time setting this up and using it so I am a newbie to eclipse. I am Running Windows 7 and I am using the most rescent version of eclipse juno as of 8/8/2012 from the eclipse download site. I am using the cygwin cdt's. Through a process of following setup instructions from a few sites i have it setup at least to a point to where it will run the hello world program. But, it runs with a single error.
>
> The Error is:
> Program "${XL_compilerRoot}\xlC"not found in path
>
> Now it also gives me a location to the issue and I have looked here with confusion to try and fix it.
>
> Location is here:
> Preferences,c++/Build/Settings/Discovery,[CDT XLC Builtin Compiler Settings] options
>
> And i guess type is type of problem just sates:
> C/C++ Scanner Discovery Problem
>
>
> Now one thing I did notice, when i goto properties of the project -> C/C++ Build -> XL C/C++ Compiler (shown in C_C++_build.jpg) it shows compiler location of "/usr/vacpp/bin". I assume its referring to the cygwin folder. If it is, I do not see in the folders in my cygwin directory a vacpp folder. Which of course would explain the path error. I just would not understand though if cygwin sets up its folders based on the catagories you select, why would this folder not be created. I don't know i could be completely off too.
> Just at a loss now not sure where to go. Forgive me if its already posted. I looked and will continue to look just trying to find someone that may have something posted similar to my issue. Who knows i might even be looking in the wrong spot. If more info is needed pls let me know.

XLC is an IBM compiler I believe and not part of Cygwin, which contains
GNU GCC.


--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901233 is a reply to message #901231] Fri, 10 August 2012 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first last is currently offline first lastFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: August 2012
Junior Member
I assume then that I do not need the XLC then since i am using the one from cygwin?
Why would it promt to find XLC and is there a way to disable it if i dont need it?

or do i just goto:

Window -> Preferences -> Build -> settings -> discovery and remove the CDT XLC output parser and Builtin Compiler settings? (shown in Build_settings.jpg)

[Updated on: Fri, 10 August 2012 12:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: runs with pathing error [message #901239 is a reply to message #901233] Fri, 10 August 2012 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joost Kraaijeveld is currently offline Joost KraaijeveldFriend
Messages: 192
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 10/08/12 14:52, first last wrote:
> I assume then that I do not need the XLC then since i am using the one
> from cygwin?

I don't know whether you need XLC, but if you want to use Cygwin yoy
should select the Cygwin GCC Toolchain during the creation of your C/C++
project. It should appear in the first wizard dialog if you choose an
"Executable Hello World C++ Project" in the Toolchains listbox. If
"Show project types and toolchain..." is selected and the Cywin GCC
toolchain is not visible, the CDT has not discovered Cygwin. Then,
perhaps,
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#I_installed_Cygwin_on_my_PC_but_Eclipse_won.27t_find_it.
has the answer.

> Why would it promt to find XLC and is there a way to disable it if i
> dont need it?
Don't install it?


--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901243 is a reply to message #901239] Fri, 10 August 2012 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first last is currently offline first lastFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: August 2012
Junior Member
I did - when i created the project I gave it a name and under the Project type section there was a folder called executable and under that folder was 3 selections one of then called empty project which i selected. in the toolchains i had selected cygwin gcc. But this error keeps coming up. I'll remkae it again just to make sure. If i am makeing it right and it still comes up is there a way to disable the XLC since eclipse doesnt seem to let me deselect it?
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901248 is a reply to message #901243] Fri, 10 August 2012 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first last is currently offline first lastFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: August 2012
Junior Member
ok remade prject and now i get this - shown in (errors.jpg)

if it helps here is the project creation view - shown in (creation.jpg)

ok i guess ignore the error.jpg - i retyped it instead of copy and pasting it and they went away just have that XLC error still for some reason
  • Attachment: errors.jpg
    (Size: 316.18KB, Downloaded 212 times)
  • Attachment: creation.jpg
    (Size: 275.53KB, Downloaded 190 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 10 August 2012 13:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: runs with pathing error [message #901256 is a reply to message #901248] Fri, 10 August 2012 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joost Kraaijeveld is currently offline Joost KraaijeveldFriend
Messages: 192
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 10/08/12 15:39, first last wrote:
> ok remade prject and now i get this - shown in (errors.jpg)
OK, manually delete the error mentioning "Program "${XL....." by right
click the error and chose delete.


The other errors I do not understand, nor can I look into them as I do
not use/have Cygwin. You created the project using the "hello world" wizard?


--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901262 is a reply to message #901256] Fri, 10 August 2012 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first last is currently offline first lastFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: August 2012
Junior Member
no i didnt use the wizard just typed it in.

and beyond my comprehension i dont know why right clicking and deleting the error would fix it - shouldnt have came up with it anyhow. I ean it did come up with a warning that error messages might come back with a rebuild, but i rebuilt it 3 times since then and clean. I don't get it but Thank you for your patience. - It was driving me nuts.
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901271 is a reply to message #901262] Fri, 10 August 2012 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joost Kraaijeveld is currently offline Joost KraaijeveldFriend
Messages: 192
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 10/08/12 16:10, first last wrote:
> no i didnt use the wizard just typed it in.
If it still does not work: generate a project with the wizard, look if
it works and start from there. Configuring a project from scratch
requires knowledge.


> and beyond my comprehension i dont know why right clicking and deleting
> the error would fix it - shouldnt have came up with it anyhow. I ean it
> did come up with a warning that error messages might come back with a
> rebuild, but i rebuilt it 3 times since then and clean. I don't get it
> but Thank you for your patience. - It was driving me nuts.

It does not fix the error, it just removes it from the view. Does your
"hello world" build and run?


--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901307 is a reply to message #901271] Fri, 10 August 2012 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first last is currently offline first lastFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: August 2012
Junior Member
sorry for the delayed response - yes it builds and runs
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901322 is a reply to message #901262] Fri, 10 August 2012 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Gvozdev is currently offline Andrew GvozdevFriend
Messages: 256
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
You probably created an XLC project by accident with one of previous attempts. That would activate XLC scanner discovery and generate the error message since you do not have XLC installed. After the project is deleted XLC discovery gets inactive but the error entry unfortunately still would stay in Problems view. Removing it cleans it up.

Andrew
Re: runs with pathing error [message #901323 is a reply to message #901322] Fri, 10 August 2012 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first last is currently offline first lastFriend
Messages: 8
Registered: August 2012
Junior Member
is probably it - ill try coding something else and see what happens
Re: runs with pathing error [message #932485 is a reply to message #901224] Thu, 04 October 2012 06:25 Go to previous message
yawen zhongyuan is currently offline yawen zhongyuanFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2012
Junior Member
clear all the file in you workspace!
and it works for me!
May be someone has put it above!
Previous Topic:Eclipse shows unresolved inclusion but it compiles
Next Topic:Implement methods - Template
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Dec 26 14:23:03 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02168 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software