Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » configure tracking for a remote branch I just created by pushing a local branch
configure tracking for a remote branch I just created by pushing a local branch [message #826938] Thu, 22 March 2012 17:15 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Suppose I create a local branch and then push it to the origin repository. Now I want my existing local branch to track the new remote branch I just created. I can do this easily enough in command-line Git by adding configuration values for branch.xxx.remote and branch.xxx.merge, where 'xxx' is the branch name. I could also do it in egit by deleting the my local branch and then re-creating from the remote branch using the egit "Branches" dialog.

But suppose I wanted to do it in egit without deleting and recreating the local branch or manually editing the configuration properties? Is it possible, and if so, how?

Re: configure tracking for a remote branch I just created by pushing a local branch [message #827076 is a reply to message #826938] Thu, 22 March 2012 21:32 Go to previous message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
R Shapiro skrev 2012-03-22 18.15:
> Suppose I create a local branch and then push it to the origin repository. Now I want my existing local branch to track the new remote branch I just created. I can do this
> easily enough in command-line Git by adding configuration values for branch.xxx.remote and branch.xxx.merge, where 'xxx' is the branch name. I could also do it in egit by
> deleting the my local branch and then re-creating from the remote branch using the egit "Branches" dialog.
>
> But suppose I wanted to do it in egit without deleting and recreating the local branch or manually editing the configuration properties? Is it possible, and if so, how?

There is to my knowledge no dedicated UI support for this. I have wished for such a feature
sometimes.

-- robin
Previous Topic:JGit with database storage
Next Topic:status decorations and bundles as "remote" references
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:53:12 GMT 2024