Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » SWT DateTime
SWT DateTime [message #101795] Sun, 10 August 2008 17:19 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: m.n.com

I was thinking about using DateTime now that it looks like it will be
supported by RAP. But it there doesn't seem to be a way to 'null' out
the date like one can with the Nebula DateChooserCombo. Any ideas? I
have some but they are ugly.
Re: SWT DateTime [message #101824 is a reply to message #101795] Sun, 10 August 2008 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: ifurnadjiev.innoopract.com

Hi Mark,

unfortunately the SWT DateTime widget does not allow null values to all
fields (day, month, year, hours, minutes, seconds). That's why the RAP
implementation will follow the same behavior. I'm just curious... why
you need to "null" the date/time?

Best.
Ivan

Mark wrote:
> I was thinking about using DateTime now that it looks like it will be
> supported by RAP. But it there doesn't seem to be a way to 'null' out
> the date like one can with the Nebula DateChooserCombo. Any ideas? I
> have some but they are ugly.
Re: SWT DateTime [message #101969 is a reply to message #101824] Mon, 11 August 2008 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: m.n.com

Hi Ivan,
Thanks for confirming what I thought I saw.

Some dates need to have a null value until they are set or when they
are removed. For instance, if I have a form that I want to be used from
X till Y but I don't know when Y is, then they Y date needs to be null.
There are plenty of other scenarios like this.

I could put a check beside that datetime widget that enables/disables
it. I am currentlly weighing the pro's (i can easily switch from RAP to
RCP) and the con's (users will complain and binding will not be straight
forward)

Mark


Ivan Furnadjiev wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> unfortunately the SWT DateTime widget does not allow null values to all
> fields (day, month, year, hours, minutes, seconds). That's why the RAP
> implementation will follow the same behavior. I'm just curious... why
> you need to "null" the date/time?
>
> Best.
> Ivan
>
> Mark wrote:
>> I was thinking about using DateTime now that it looks like it will be
>> supported by RAP. But it there doesn't seem to be a way to 'null' out
>> the date like one can with the Nebula DateChooserCombo. Any ideas? I
>> have some but they are ugly.
Re: SWT DateTime [message #101984 is a reply to message #101969] Tue, 12 August 2008 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Hansel is currently offline Stefan Hansel
Messages: 103
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Too be honest: </font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">we think the DateTime-Widget is inappropriate
for 'normal' user anyway (not a problem of RAP but of SWT in the first
place).</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Having to 'type-click-type-click-type'
or ('type-movecursor-type-...') to insert a date is a usability nightmare
... </font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">That's why we wrote our own widget,
much like on the RAP-demo-workbench-website (with popup-calendar for instance,
but still editable date).</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">For some Date-Fields we have the need
to support null-Dates as well ... it's just common to leave a DateField
empty, if the Date is unknown to the user for instance. Anyway - that's
easy if you start to use your own widget :D ...</font>
Re: SWT DateTime [message #102221 is a reply to message #101984] Wed, 13 August 2008 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: m.n.com

Yeah. I was hoping to have something I could use in RCP and RAP. In an
RCP I can just use Nebula widgets. So my choices are dig in and help or
deal with it.


stefan.hansel@tolina.de wrote:
>
> Too be honest:
>
> we think the DateTime-Widget is inappropriate for 'normal' user anyway
> (not a problem of RAP but of SWT in the first place).
> Having to 'type-click-type-click-type' or ('type-movecursor-type-...')
> to insert a date is a usability nightmare ..
>
> That's why we wrote our own widget, much like on the
> RAP-demo-workbench-website (with popup-calendar for instance, but still
> editable date).
>
> For some Date-Fields we have the need to support null-Dates as well ...
> it's just common to leave a DateField empty, if the Date is unknown to
> the user for instance. Anyway - that's easy if you start to use your own
> widget :D ...
Re: SWT DateTime [message #102338 is a reply to message #102221] Wed, 13 August 2008 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: tavoaqp.gmail.com

Hi Mark
Check this out
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.rap /msg01675.html

I guess this solves your problem.

Gustavo

Mark escreveu:
> Yeah. I was hoping to have something I could use in RCP and RAP. In an
> RCP I can just use Nebula widgets. So my choices are dig in and help or
> deal with it.
>
>
> stefan.hansel@tolina.de wrote:
>>
>> Too be honest:
>>
>> we think the DateTime-Widget is inappropriate for 'normal' user anyway
>> (not a problem of RAP but of SWT in the first place).
>> Having to 'type-click-type-click-type' or ('type-movecursor-type-...')
>> to insert a date is a usability nightmare ..
>>
>> That's why we wrote our own widget, much like on the
>> RAP-demo-workbench-website (with popup-calendar for instance, but
>> still editable date).
>>
>> For some Date-Fields we have the need to support null-Dates as well
>> ... it's just common to leave a DateField empty, if the Date is
>> unknown to the user for instance. Anyway - that's easy if you start to
>> use your own widget :D ...
Re: SWT DateTime [message #102376 is a reply to message #102338] Thu, 14 August 2008 01:37 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: m.n.com

Thanks, I'll take a look at it!

Gustavo wrote:
> Hi Mark
> Check this out
> http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.rap /msg01675.html
>
> I guess this solves your problem.
>
> Gustavo
>
> Mark escreveu:
>> Yeah. I was hoping to have something I could use in RCP and RAP. In an
>> RCP I can just use Nebula widgets. So my choices are dig in and help
>> or deal with it.
>>
>>
>> stefan.hansel@tolina.de wrote:
>>>
>>> Too be honest:
>>>
>>> we think the DateTime-Widget is inappropriate for 'normal' user
>>> anyway (not a problem of RAP but of SWT in the first place).
>>> Having to 'type-click-type-click-type' or
>>> ('type-movecursor-type-...') to insert a date is a usability
>>> nightmare ..
>>>
>>> That's why we wrote our own widget, much like on the
>>> RAP-demo-workbench-website (with popup-calendar for instance, but
>>> still editable date).
>>>
>>> For some Date-Fields we have the need to support null-Dates as well
>>> ... it's just common to leave a DateField empty, if the Date is
>>> unknown to the user for instance. Anyway - that's easy if you start
>>> to use your own widget :D ...
Previous Topic:How to disable closing a view?
Next Topic:ui persistence over browser refresh
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 03:51:51 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.10058 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software