Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools Newsgroup!
Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools Newsgroup! [message #3] Tue, 24 August 2004 20:46 Go to next message
Paul Clenahan is currently offline Paul ClenahanFriend
Messages: 35
Registered: July 2009
Member
Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) newsgroup --
this is the forum for questions and discussions around the BIRT project.

For the initial project proposal, please visit the project pages at
http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-birt/index.html. Of course, as we
get feedback and further explore what capabilities people would like to see,
we will be updating these pages with more information as it becomes
available.

I'm looking forward to feedback on the proposal on this newsgroup.
Re: Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools Newsgroup! [message #5 is a reply to message #3] Wed, 25 August 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eostroukhov.hotmail.com

For now there are zillions of the reporting engines and miriads of the
report designer - either open or closed sourced, Eclipse-based and
non-Eclipse based. Lots of systems use different engines and lots of
companies are trying to provide reporting solutions.
Some questions I have:
1. Do you have initial contributors or solution will be built ground-up? (It
makes difference for decision-making on selecting the report engine for the
current projects)
2. Will it be possible to use your designer to design reports for other
engines?
3. Are you planning to leverage some existing open-source solution like
JFreeChart, Jasper Reports, etc.?

Best regards,
Eugene



"Paul Clenahan" <pclenahan@actuate.com> wrote in message
news:cgg9a4$ope$1@eclipse.org...
> Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT)
newsgroup --
> this is the forum for questions and discussions around the BIRT project.
>
> For the initial project proposal, please visit the project pages at
> http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-birt/index.html. Of course, as we
> get feedback and further explore what capabilities people would like to
see,
> we will be updating these pages with more information as it becomes
> available.
>
> I'm looking forward to feedback on the proposal on this newsgroup.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Re: Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools Newsgroup! [message #6 is a reply to message #5] Wed, 25 August 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eostroukhov.hotmail.com

On Eclipse plugin central I found out that Actuate is the company that is
behind the proposal so I would like to emphasize the need to integrate with
other report engines - at least to provide the migration path for the
existing application. The comunity will likely provide support for the
Jasper and other popular report engines.

Eugene

"Eugene Ostroukhov" <eostroukhov@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cghefq$960$1@eclipse.org...
> For now there are zillions of the reporting engines and miriads of the
> report designer - either open or closed sourced, Eclipse-based and
> non-Eclipse based. Lots of systems use different engines and lots of
> companies are trying to provide reporting solutions.
> Some questions I have:
> 1. Do you have initial contributors or solution will be built ground-up?
(It
> makes difference for decision-making on selecting the report engine for
the
> current projects)
> 2. Will it be possible to use your designer to design reports for other
> engines?
> 3. Are you planning to leverage some existing open-source solution like
> JFreeChart, Jasper Reports, etc.?
>
> Best regards,
> Eugene
>
>
>
> "Paul Clenahan" <pclenahan@actuate.com> wrote in message
> news:cgg9a4$ope$1@eclipse.org...
> > Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT)
> newsgroup --
> > this is the forum for questions and discussions around the BIRT project.
> >
> > For the initial project proposal, please visit the project pages at
> > http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-birt/index.html. Of course, as
we
> > get feedback and further explore what capabilities people would like to
> see,
> > we will be updating these pages with more information as it becomes
> > available.
> >
> > I'm looking forward to feedback on the proposal on this newsgroup.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Re: Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools Newsgroup! [message #13 is a reply to message #5] Thu, 26 August 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Coggins is currently offline Mark CogginsFriend
Messages: 23
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Eugene,

Thanks for your response.

To answer your questions:

1) For the most part we expect to build the solution from the ground up;
however, we may contribute some components to provide specific functionality
and we may well leverage existing open source components/solutions as you
suggest later.

2) The intention was to define a new XML file format for the report design
file, leveraging our knowledge of the requirements for report specification
(as well as the broader community's). However, we can look at providing
hooks to allow the designer to write out different report specification
formats to be executed by other engines.

3) Yes, we want to approach the other open source initiatives in reporting
area to: a) encourage their involvement and b) potentially leverage existing
code in the BIRT project.

regards,

Mark

"Eugene Ostroukhov" <eostroukhov@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cghefq$960$1@eclipse.org...
> For now there are zillions of the reporting engines and miriads of the
> report designer - either open or closed sourced, Eclipse-based and
> non-Eclipse based. Lots of systems use different engines and lots of
> companies are trying to provide reporting solutions.
> Some questions I have:
> 1. Do you have initial contributors or solution will be built ground-up?
(It
> makes difference for decision-making on selecting the report engine for
the
> current projects)
> 2. Will it be possible to use your designer to design reports for other
> engines?
> 3. Are you planning to leverage some existing open-source solution like
> JFreeChart, Jasper Reports, etc.?
>
> Best regards,
> Eugene
Re: Welcome to the Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools Newsgroup! [message #14 is a reply to message #6] Thu, 26 August 2004 19:59 Go to previous message
Mark Coggins is currently offline Mark CogginsFriend
Messages: 23
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Eugene,

Yes, we think a migration utility is something that we want to investigate.

regards,

Mark
"Eugene Ostroukhov" <eostroukhov@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cghhm8$ffr$1@eclipse.org...
> On Eclipse plugin central I found out that Actuate is the company that is
> behind the proposal so I would like to emphasize the need to integrate
with
> other report engines - at least to provide the migration path for the
> existing application. The comunity will likely provide support for the
> Jasper and other popular report engines.
>
> Eugene
Previous Topic:Question
Next Topic:Inital thoughts on proposal
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Dec 20 08:50:02 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02291 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software