Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » Unintended installation of the OT variant(Unintended installation of the OT variant)
Unintended installation of the OT variant [message #723191] Thu, 08 September 2011 01:15 Go to next message
eclipse_bugzilla123 is currently offline eclipse_bugzilla123Friend
This question regarding the documentation at wiki.eclipse.org/OTDT/JDTCore under the heading "Unintended installation of the OT variant."

The patch update is being offered to me by Eclipse's check for updates feature. I believe that I have explicitly installed the JDT. I have attached the relevant screenshots. Is it possible to tell from install_details.png that the JDT was installed explicitly?

Thanks.

====

Edit: I should add that this a Windows 64-bit installation. It may be a packaging failure on this under-supported platform similar to bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=226482 (Equinox security fragment for x86-64).

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2011 02:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unintended installation of the OT variant [message #723354 is a reply to message #723191] Thu, 08 September 2011 12:00 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
eclipse_bugzilla123 wrote on Thu, 08 September 2011 03:15
This question regarding the documentation at wiki.eclipse.org/OTDT/JDTCore under the heading "Unintended installation of the OT variant."

Thanks for the hint, the given wiki page needs updating in the light of bug 350133

Quote:

The patch update is being offered to me by Eclipse's check for updates feature. I believe that I have explicitly installed the JDT. I have attached the relevant screenshots. Is it possible to tell from install_details.png that the JDT was installed explicitly?

We can see that the JDT is in the list of installed features and I assume that this ensured that the first install of the JDT did not pick the patch bundle instead of the original.

However, for "Check for Updates" p2 seems to apply different rules. Now it makes a difference whether you installed the JDT as part of the initial package, or whether the JDT was added by a subsequent install operation. In the first case everything should work as desired, but in the second case you may hit bug 350133.

This is a pity, as we received help from the p2 team to create our patch feature in a way that it wouldn't install accidentally. Apparently the "Check for Updates" scenario was not considered at that time.

sorry for the inconvenience,
Stephan

PS: To exactly understand your situation the "Installed Software" tab would actually help more than "Features".
Previous Topic:Eclipse with OT/J really slow
Next Topic:Can not install em2e
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:41:06 GMT 2024