Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Avd manager not seeing my virtual device(Error when trying to open the android sdk emulator in eclipse)
Avd manager not seeing my virtual device [message #675359] Tue, 31 May 2011 09:19 Go to next message
Jeff Rainwater is currently offline Jeff RainwaterFriend
Here is the error I am getting:

emulator: ERROR: unknown virtual device name: 'Android22'

What I am trying to do is open the android emulator virtual device from eclipse. I go to the avd manager where I created it and named it "Android22". It appears to have saved a folder at this location: C:\Users\Rainwater-Admin\.and­roid\avd\Android22.avd

In that folder there are 3 files: a config and two imgs. Is that what should be there or is something missing? It seems to have the right path when I highlight it and click details. I tried remaking it and naming it something different but I get the same results.

Does anyone know why I cannot get the emulator to work or how to get past this error? I have searched the net for an answer and I have seen that others have gotten this error if its pointing to the wrong location, however mine seems to be pointing to the right place. Unless this emulator is looking for a different file maybe? Anyone know?

Also on a side/related note....I would be fine not even using the emulator and just running my tests straight from eclipse to my device if I knew how. I have a motorola droid as well as a new LG Revolution and I would be fine with plugging them in for testing but im not sure how to "run as" directly onto the phone instead of onto the emulator. Anyone have a tuturoal on that?

Thanks for the help guys! Really enjoying using and learning Eclipse. I just ordered the Eclipse for dummys book from amazon. =)

- Jeff
Re: Avd manager not seeing my virtual device [message #675425 is a reply to message #675359] Tue, 31 May 2011 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

What you must understand, Jeff, is that Eclipse has nothing to do with
Android development. Just as many other things that are developed using
Eclipse, the Android development people have created plug-ins for the
IDE, but Eclipse itself doesn't support them. In short, this is the
wrong forum. I would suggest one of the forums listed at the link below.

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html#support

On 31-May-11 03:19, Jeff Rainwater wrote:
> Here is the error I am getting:
>
> emulator: ERROR: unknown virtual device name: 'Android22'
>
> What I am trying to do is open the android emulator virtual device from
> eclipse. I go to the avd manager where I created it and named it
> "Android22". It appears to have saved a folder at this location:
> C:\Users\Rainwater-Admin\.and­roid\avd\Android22.avd
>
> In that folder there are 3 files: a config and two imgs. Is that what
> should be there or is something missing? It seems to have the right path
> when I highlight it and click details. I tried remaking it and naming it
> something different but I get the same results.
> Does anyone know why I cannot get the emulator to work or how to get
> past this error? I have searched the net for an answer and I have seen
> that others have gotten this error if its pointing to the wrong
> location, however mine seems to be pointing to the right place. Unless
> this emulator is looking for a different file maybe? Anyone know?
>
> Also on a side/related note....I would be fine not even using the
> emulator and just running my tests straight from eclipse to my device if
> I knew how. I have a motorola droid as well as a new LG Revolution and I
> would be fine with plugging them in for testing but im not sure how to
> "run as" directly onto the phone instead of onto the emulator. Anyone
> have a tuturoal on that?
>
> Thanks for the help guys! Really enjoying using and learning Eclipse. I
> just ordered the Eclipse for dummys book from amazon. =)
>
> - Jeff
Re: Avd manager not seeing my virtual device [message #675549 is a reply to message #675425] Tue, 31 May 2011 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Rainwater is currently offline Jeff RainwaterFriend
I suppose to me that's like saying my television does not have anything to do with blue ray or my kitchen mixer doesnt have anything to do with cookies. It would be like me posting a question on my television's forum asking about hooking up my blue-ray player to that television. Its my understanding that Eclipse is a tool for software development much like Visual Studio or the likes. Just because YOU may not use that tool to create android apps, does not mean others don't. To say that eclipse has NOTHING to do with android development is false. That's like saying my tv has NOTHING to do with watching blue-ray movies when clearly it is the tool in which I use to view those movies. Although my TV may not have been solely created for that purpose, it is one of the functions I can perform on it so they ARE related, dispite it's original intention. Perhaps you meant to say that it was not designed specifically for android development rather than has NOTHING to do with it. The fact that my intended use is to test android applications is irrelevant. It's still a question about an error I get using eclipse.

That said.... I see your point. I think maybe what you are trying to say is "While we support eclipse, many of the members of this forum are not as knowledgable in android development or the specific devices and tools used for it. As such, you may find more luck in finding an answer to your question here..." I'll assume that's what you meant as they way you worded it sounded more like "we dont like you android people using our stuff for that so get out of here.". I will assume the first. Thanks for the link. Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2011 20:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Avd manager not seeing my virtual device [message #675569 is a reply to message #675549] Tue, 31 May 2011 21:10 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Its really more like posting a question on your TVs forum asking how to get the latest blue-ray disk to play on your blue-ray player. You shouldn't assume that the people answering questions on the TV forum are there to help you debug your blue-ray player.

The Eclipse forums are for asking questions about getting Eclipse (the TV) working. Google has created an Android development environment (blue-ray player) that runs on the Eclipse platform. Android specific should be directed to their forums
Previous Topic:importing proyect from netbeans
Next Topic:JSP, servlet and images
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:46:29 GMT 2024