Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection?(Installation problems)
Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648323] Wed, 12 January 2011 07:34 Go to next message
Metz  is currently offline Metz
Messages: 3
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
I've managed to install Eclipse (Helios) on my work XP box, but they won't allow access to the various repos to get updates, etc. I've downloaded the SDK and the tools for Android development and followed various web based guides to get the whole thing working. Sadly... the more I fix, the more issues I get.

Is it actually possible to get this working without an internet connection?

I realise this is quite vague (no specifics, etc), but I'm hopeing someone might be able to give me a yes/no before I invest any more time in attempting this.

Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648336 is a reply to message #648323] Wed, 12 January 2011 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3120
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2011.01.12 5:34, Metz wrote:
> I've managed to install Eclipse (Helios) on my work XP box, but they
> won't allow access to the various repos to get updates, etc. I've
> downloaded the SDK and the tools for Android development and followed
> various web based guides to get the whole thing working. Sadly... the
> more I fix, the more issues I get.
>
> Is it actually possible to get this working without an internet connection?
>
> I realise this is quite vague (no specifics, etc), but I'm hopeing
> someone might be able to give me a yes/no before I invest any more time
> in attempting this.

It's difficult imagining how you'd set up a development environment for
Android without access to the Internet. However, once you do have that
set up and working, I can assure you that you will not absolutely need
access to it thereafter (as long as the app you're developing doesn't
require it).

I have a document on what I had to do to get Android development
working. I don't know that this will help, especially in light of your
indictment of other tutorials out there, but you're welcome to it.

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html
Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648343 is a reply to message #648336] Wed, 12 January 2011 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Metz  is currently offline Metz
Messages: 3
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Thanks for the reply, and I'll have a read of that asap.

The issue isn't that I don't have internet access, just that it's restricted by corporate policy, and they won't make exceptions. I'll keep working on them, see if I can get them to see sense. Smile

As for 'indictment'... I hope I wasn't being to strong in my criticisms. To be honest... I'm grateful for every peice of information shared on the subject.... it simply that I'm not smart enough to fix these things myself, and no else seems to be in exactly the same situation as mine, I guess Smile
Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648359 is a reply to message #648336] Wed, 12 January 2011 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Metz  is currently offline Metz
Messages: 3
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Big thankyou....

I went back and checked everything I did, whilst following your document..... and I came across a couple of quirks in the manifest of my test project, the version eclipse was expecting, etc... and I appear to have found my problem. I had to repeat the process of install ADT 8 and the new platform tools, but it wuold appear that I can now develop android apps, and test them in a functioning AVD

Thanks again !
Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648374 is a reply to message #648323] Wed, 12 January 2011 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric Rizzo
Messages: 2202
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 1/12/11 7:34 AM, Metz wrote:
> I've managed to install Eclipse (Helios) on my work XP box, but they
> won't allow access to the various repos to get updates, etc. I've
> downloaded the SDK and the tools for Android development and followed
> various web based guides to get the whole thing working. Sadly... the
> more I fix, the more issues I get.
>
> Is it actually possible to get this working without an internet connection?
>
> I realise this is quite vague (no specifics, etc), but I'm hopeing
> someone might be able to give me a yes/no before I invest any more time
> in attempting this.

One grasping-at-straws idea I can think of is to get an archive the
update site for the Android plugins and then install it from that local
archive. For example, from somewhere you have internet access, download
the update site and save it to a portable drive or some other mechanism
that you can then get onto the internet-prohibited computer. Eclipse
allows you to install from a local archive of an update site.

This is assuming that the Android update site can be obtained as an
archive; I don't know for sure that it can, but seeing as it's open
source, it seems likely.

Eric
Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648501 is a reply to message #648323] Thu, 13 January 2011 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gege joven is currently offline gege joven
Messages: 3
Registered: December 2010
Junior Member
Galaxy tab is operated by android, anyone here who used galaxy tab. I'm planning to buy one
Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648656 is a reply to message #648374] Thu, 13 January 2011 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric Rizzo
Messages: 2202
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 1/12/11 10:59 AM, Eric Rizzo wrote:
> On 1/12/11 7:34 AM, Metz wrote:
>> I've managed to install Eclipse (Helios) on my work XP box, but they
>> won't allow access to the various repos to get updates, etc. I've
>> downloaded the SDK and the tools for Android development and followed
>> various web based guides to get the whole thing working. Sadly... the
>> more I fix, the more issues I get.
>>
>> Is it actually possible to get this working without an internet
>> connection?
>>
>> I realise this is quite vague (no specifics, etc), but I'm hopeing
>> someone might be able to give me a yes/no before I invest any more time
>> in attempting this.
>
> One grasping-at-straws idea I can think of is to get an archive the
> update site for the Android plugins and then install it from that local
> archive. For example, from somewhere you have internet access, download
> the update site and save it to a portable drive or some other mechanism
> that you can then get onto the internet-prohibited computer. Eclipse
> allows you to install from a local archive of an update site.
>
> This is assuming that the Android update site can be obtained as an
> archive; I don't know for sure that it can, but seeing as it's open
> source, it seems likely.

I just noticed that there's a link to an update site archive of the ADT
9.0 preview on this page: http://tools.android.com/download
For 8.0.x, you can get it from this page:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclipse-adt.html#troublesho oting

Eric
Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648894 is a reply to message #648336] Fri, 14 January 2011 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: n.n.nnn

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:44:31 -0700, Russell Bateman wrote:

> On 2011.01.12 5:34, Metz wrote:
>> I've managed to install Eclipse (Helios) on my work XP box, but they
>> won't allow access to the various repos to get updates, etc. I've
>> downloaded the SDK and the tools for Android development and followed
>> various web based guides to get the whole thing working. Sadly... the
>> more I fix, the more issues I get.
>>
>> Is it actually possible to get this working without an internet
>> connection?
>>
> I have a document on what I had to do to get Android development
> working. I don't know that this will help, especially in light of your
> indictment of other tutorials out there, but you're welcome to it.
>
> http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html

Nice site though I disagree with:

"I found that the Android development plug-ins are too heavy and cause
Eclipse (both Helios and Galileo) to crash six ways from Sunday. After
a week of frustration I reached the conclusion that you cannot install
Android for use in Eclipse JEE".

I've been running Android in Eclipse Helios JEE on Ubuntu for months.
Re: Can eclipse + android be installed without internet connection? [message #648923 is a reply to message #648894] Sat, 15 January 2011 11:41 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3120
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2011.01.14 17:57, Dilton wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:44:31 -0700, Russell Bateman wrote:
>
>> On 2011.01.12 5:34, Metz wrote:
>>> I've managed to install Eclipse (Helios) on my work XP box, but they
>>> won't allow access to the various repos to get updates, etc. I've
>>> downloaded the SDK and the tools for Android development and followed
>>> various web based guides to get the whole thing working. Sadly... the
>>> more I fix, the more issues I get.
>>>
>>> Is it actually possible to get this working without an internet
>>> connection?
>>>
>> I have a document on what I had to do to get Android development
>> working. I don't know that this will help, especially in light of your
>> indictment of other tutorials out there, but you're welcome to it.
>>
>> http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html
>
> Nice site though I disagree with:
>
> "I found that the Android development plug-ins are too heavy and cause
> Eclipse (both Helios and Galileo) to crash six ways from Sunday. After
> a week of frustration I reached the conclusion that you cannot install
> Android for use in Eclipse JEE".
>
> I've been running Android in Eclipse Helios JEE on Ubuntu for months.

This was written on Windows. I've not had much trouble with Ubuntu
either. I'm glad you're successful.
Previous Topic:DIV fold and unfold
Next Topic:Eclipse metadata seem to be corrupt
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Jul 22 17:23:55 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02234 seconds