Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse DSF - Multi-Process debugging(Multi Process Debugging with DSF)
Eclipse DSF - Multi-Process debugging [message #637794] Mon, 08 November 2010 21:50 Go to next message
Vidya  is currently offline Vidya Friend
Hello Everybody!

This is my first post in the forum, so please excuse, correct me if I get the forum rules wrong. Thank you.

I am trying to debug multiple processes simultaneously using Eclipse CDT, DSF. I looked at the demo on Eclipse website for the same.

Currently, I have started an instance of gdbserver on my linux machine, started both the processes to debug and created a configuration for multi-process debugging.

However, when I try to attach a second process, from withing the eclipse debug environment, to an existing debug session, the first process gets terminated automatically with the message " A program is being debugged already. Kill it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal] ".

Environment:
Linux - Fedora12 2.6.32.21
gdb & gdbserver versions - 7.0.1-50.fc12
This is a virtual machine.

Thank you for your time,
Vidya

Re: Eclipse DSF - Multi-Process debugging [message #637936 is a reply to message #637794] Tue, 09 November 2010 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Hi,

the multi-process support currently only works for special targets that have single-memory-space addressing, it requires a special version of gdbserver which is not open-source. This is because GDB 7.0 only supported such targets for multi-process.

With GDB 7.1, multi-process is supported by GDB on Linux too. We are currently working on integrating this support in DSF-GDB using GDB 7.2 (which has better support for Eclipse). This feature should be available in the next release of Eclipse. If you are interested, you can follow the progress at:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=237306

Marc
Re: Eclipse DSF - Multi-Process debugging [message #638044 is a reply to message #637936] Tue, 09 November 2010 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the detailed explanation Marc. Which is the version of gdbserver that works with multi-process DSF currently?

Thank you again for taking out the time.

Vidya
Re: Eclipse DSF - Multi-Process debugging [message #638050 is a reply to message #638044] Tue, 09 November 2010 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Vidya wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 13:00
Thank you for the detailed explanation Marc. Which is the version of gdbserver that works with multi-process DSF currently?

Thank you again for taking out the time.

Vidya

Sorry, but currently, you cannot run multi-process with DSF-GDB and gdbserver. You can run single process debugging but not multi-process. You will have to wait until bug 237306 has been fixed (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=237306).

The demo that you saw was using DSF-GDB but with a special proprietary target that is supported by GDB. GDB did not support multi-process on Linux at that time, and now that it does, we have to update eclipse to match.

Marc

Re: Eclipse DSF - Multi-Process debugging [message #638056 is a reply to message #638050] Tue, 09 November 2010 19:00 Go to previous message
Thank you very much for the clarification.

Vidya
Previous Topic:Headless build problem
Next Topic:The scope of breakpoints
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 20 03:57:55 GMT 2014