Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Too slow after update to SR1(SR1 release (PDT 2.2.1))
icon9.gif  Too slow after update to SR1 [message #630499] Sun, 03 October 2010 12:16 Go to next message
Kristian Wiborg is currently offline Kristian WiborgFriend
I upgraded Eclipse on my computer at work to Helios SR1 and experienced some performance problems. I have now gone back to the old release which is running fine. I have also installed the SR1 update on my home computer without any problems. My home computer is running Vista 32bit, Intel architecture. My computer at work is running XP 32 bit, AMD architecture.

At work the editor started up ok, but every time I pressed a key it would literaly take 5 seconds from depressing the key to seeing the letter on the screen... so completely useless Smile I didn't have much time to investigate the issue, but but it seemed that Eclipse was using all processing power. I tried increasing memory from, 384 MB to 1024, but that didn't help.

Anyone who knows about this issue?
Re: Too slow after update to SR1 [message #631519 is a reply to message #630499] Thu, 07 October 2010 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloc  is currently offline bloc Friend
My CPU was hovering at around 50% and eclipse was lagging.

I turned off semantic highlighting and it fixed the issue.
Re: Too slow after update to SR1 [message #640908 is a reply to message #630499] Tue, 23 November 2010 14:17 Go to previous message
holodoktor is currently offline holodoktorFriend
I have the same problem (only it takes not 5 but 2 seconds for one char) while working on php-files. The slowdown scales with the size of the files, at 5000 lines the IDE is no more usable.
Reproduced with PDT 2.2.1 (as plug-in for classic IDE and as complete-package) and also with the M3 of Eclipse 3.7, every time with clean workspaces and fresh check-out. One core of my dual-core is fully used by eclipse at every char i type in. Hardware is also AMD (Phenom X2 550).

Version 2.2.0 works fine.

Deactivating semantic highlighting does not help me.

Environment: Windows 7 32 bit, 2,75 GB RAM usable
Previous Topic:SFTP Connect
Next Topic:PHP Explorer question: does it support grouping?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:28:53 GMT 2024