Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Incremental build does nothing(Eclipse won't run makefile after a dependency is updated)
Incremental build does nothing [message #523211] Thu, 25 March 2010 14:43 Go to next message
Tom Boddington is currently offline Tom BoddingtonFriend
When I change a header file that my project depends on, but the project's own files are up to date, option Project, Build Project does absolutely nothing. My makefile knows about the dependencies and, if invoked from the command-line, correctly identifies the source files to be re-compiled.

It seems that Eclipse just won't run the makefile in this case. Nothing is output to the console and its previous contents are not cleared. I have to make a trivial change to a source file to get the project re-built. To me this boils down to Eclipse trying to do the makefile's job and making a hash of it.

Can anyone tell me how to disable this "feature" so that my makefile is always invoked?

Eclipse Platform Version: 3.4.2, Build id: M20090211-1700
Qt-Eclipse Integration: v1.6.1
Eclipse CDT v5.0.2.200902130801

Thanks!

Re: Incremental build does nothing [message #523319 is a reply to message #523211] Thu, 25 March 2010 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hans-Jochen Trost is currently offline Hans-Jochen TrostFriend
Tom Boddington wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 10:43
When I change a header file that my project depends on, but the project's own files are up to date, option Project, Build Project does absolutely nothing. My makefile knows about the dependencies and, if invoked from the command-line, correctly identifies the source files to be re-compiled.

Tom,

this happens to me, too. However, I do not have a separate makefile but am using the "Internal Builder" of CDT. How is your project set up - with internal builder or did you ask to use the external makefile explicitly?

Also, I'm on Windows XP SP3 using the MinGW tool chain, updated to use gcc 4.4.0. My Eclipse platform is a bit newer than yours, 3.5.2.M20100210-0800. What OS and compiler system are you using?

Cheers, Jochen
Re: Incremental build does nothing [message #523456 is a reply to message #523319] Fri, 26 March 2010 14:27 Go to previous message
Tom Boddington is currently offline Tom BoddingtonFriend
To be honest I've never heard of Internal Builder.

It's a Qt project, so its makefile is generated by Qt's tool QMAKE, which is a rather opaque process. However, the makefile that results is correct as far as this issue is concerned; it's its invocation by Eclipse which is going wrong.

So, I was going to say that I'm not using Internal Builder, but it occurs to me that maybe I am, unknowingly, and that that's the problem. How would I know if I was using it? Is it an option that's set when a project is created? The only thing I can find in the Eclipse GUI is under Project Properties; Builders. I have three builders listed and all are ticked:
- Qt Makefile Generator
- CDT Makefile Builder
- Scanner Configuration Builder
Perhaps I should disable one; or add another?

My OS is 64-bit Vista and the compiler is MinGW (gcc 4.4.0).

Another thing I should add is that Eclipse seems to skip the build whenever the objects are up to date. This means that if I re-compile my project but the link step fails (e.g. program running), then I can't link it without, again, making a token change to a source file.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2010 17:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Unable to debug
Next Topic:Generated resource conflict: two resources of the same name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:43:31 GMT 2024