Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » No valid JDBC drivers
No valid JDBC drivers [message #517373] Sat, 27 February 2010 10:29 Go to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Confused

I am rather new to using Eclipse and I am having a heck of a time just getting started. Figuring out how to get plug-ins installed has been touch enough, but to have none of the JDBC stuff work is driving me crazy.

As I am so new, describing the issue will be tough too so let me give it a shot. I am trying to simply get started using SQL Exploer and creating a new Connection Profile.

I click the new Connection Profile icon and get a pop-up where I can type in the name, select the driver, enter the URL (what is that?) and so on... There are no drivers to choose from so I click the Add/Edit Driver button.

The re is a tree view on the left and it has SQL Explorer as the main item and JDBC Drivers as the only subitem. So I select that one and a list appears on the right with various drivers, all with red X marks on them. I am assuming this means they are broken because if I pick any of them (MySQL is the only one I want) and press OK, I return to the previous box and there are still no drivers to pick from.

If I go another route and try to create a new Connection Profile by selecting FILE/NEW/OTHER I can get to a screen where it shows the various MySQL drivers that should be available. They all give me the message saying the JAR/zip is unavailable. Here is an example...

"Unable to locate JAR/zip in file system as specified by the driver definition: mysql-connector-java-5.1.0-bin.jar."

Now the funny thing is, I searched the web and was able to download the newer version of the driver "mysql-connector-java-5.1.12.tar.gz" but I have no idea how to get that into Eclipse. I tried putting it in the plugin folder but that did nothing so I removed it.

About my system...
Eclipse Build: 20100218-1602
Linux Ubuntu: 9.10 64 bit
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517397 is a reply to message #517373] Sat, 27 February 2010 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3196
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2/27/2010 3:29 AM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> :?
> I am rather new to using Eclipse and I am having a heck of a time just
> getting started. Figuring out how to get plug-ins installed has been
> touch enough, but to have none of the JDBC stuff work is driving me crazy.
>
> As I am so new, describing the issue will be tough too so let me give it
> a shot. I am trying to simply get started using SQL Exploer and creating
> a new Connection Profile.
>
> I click the new Connection Profile icon and get a pop-up where I can
> type in the name, select the driver, enter the URL (what is that?) and
> so on... There are no drivers to choose from so I click the Add/Edit
> Driver button.
>
> The re is a tree view on the left and it has SQL Explorer as the main
> item and JDBC Drivers as the only subitem. So I select that one and a
> list appears on the right with various drivers, all with red X marks on
> them. I am assuming this means they are broken because if I pick any of
> them (MySQL is the only one I want) and press OK, I return to the
> previous box and there are still no drivers to pick from.
>
> If I go another route and try to create a new Connection Profile by
> selecting FILE/NEW/OTHER I can get to a screen where it shows the
> various MySQL drivers that should be available. They all give me the
> message saying the JAR/zip is unavailable. Here is an example...
>
> "Unable to locate JAR/zip in file system as specified by the driver
> definition: mysql-connector-java-5.1.0-bin.jar."
>
> Now the funny thing is, I searched the web and was able to download the
> newer version of the driver "mysql-connector-java-5.1.12.tar.gz" but I
> have no idea how to get that into Eclipse. I tried putting it in the
> plugin folder but that did nothing so I removed it.
>
> About my system...
> Eclipse Build: 20100218-1602
> Linux Ubuntu: 9.10 64 bit
>
I have two URLs for you to consider:

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee where you can find a (rather old, but
still useful) tutorial on the question you ask (MySQL JDBC driver
insertion into or consumption of by Eclipse). Scroll down to "Syllabus."

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/dtp-tutorial.html where you can find
companion notes to a good tutorial on using Eclipse Data Tools Platform,
although the example is using Derby instead of MySQL.

Best of luck,

Russ Bateman
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517414 is a reply to message #517397] Sat, 27 February 2010 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Russell Bateman wrote on Sat, 27 February 2010 09:16
On 2/27/2010 3:29 AM, Glenn Schworak wrote:

I have two URLs for you to consider:

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee where you can find a (rather old, but
still useful) tutorial on the question you ask (MySQL JDBC driver
insertion into or consumption of by Eclipse). Scroll down to "Syllabus."

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/dtp-tutorial.html where you can find
companion notes to a good tutorial on using Eclipse Data Tools Platform,
although the example is using Derby instead of MySQL.

Best of luck,

Russ Bateman




Without reading every word on every link from both of those sites, I was able to find a couple sections on installing the "Eclipse Data Tools Platform" which I had found before on other sites. I followed the steps just to be safe and sure enough, I already have all the required parts installed.

This is so very frustrating! It shouldn't be this hard to do such a basic setup but there is no information on where to put the driver tar file. And just having the newest 5.1.2 tar file is no good because Eclipse (as currently configured) only knows about 5.1.0 so how do I tell it about the new tar?

I do appreciate the help, I am just getting really frustrated and it is quite clear why Windows is winning the race on software. What takes a couple mouse clicks in Windows is like pulling teeth under Linux. Although it is much improved over the past couple years. This time I am going to stick it out and learn it.


So, any one have a SIMPLE and short HOW-TO for installing the MySQL driver into Eclipse? And if nothing else, where the heck is Eclipse trying to look when it looks for the tar files? I have tried to trick it by renaming the 5.1.2 tar to match the 5.1.0 that it wants and point to it but no joy there.

Thanks again. More help needed for this newbie to Linux and Eclipse.
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517419 is a reply to message #517414] Sat, 27 February 2010 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3196
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2/27/2010 9:09 AM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> Russell Bateman wrote on Sat, 27 February 2010 09:16
>> On 2/27/2010 3:29 AM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
>>
>> I have two URLs for you to consider:
>>
>> http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee where you can find a (rather old, but
>> still useful) tutorial on the question you ask (MySQL JDBC driver
>> insertion into or consumption of by Eclipse). Scroll down to "Syllabus."
>>
>> http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/dtp-tutorial.html where you can find
>> companion notes to a good tutorial on using Eclipse Data Tools
>> Platform, although the example is using Derby instead of MySQL.
>>
>> Best of luck,
>>
>> Russ Bateman
>
>
>
>
> Without reading every word on every link from both of those sites, I was
> able to find a couple sections on installing the "Eclipse Data Tools
> Platform" which I had found before on other sites. I followed the steps
> just to be safe and sure enough, I already have all the required parts
> installed.
>
> This is so very frustrating! It shouldn't be this hard to do such a
> basic setup but there is no information on where to put the driver tar
> file. And just having the newest 5.1.2 tar file is no good because
> Eclipse (as currently configured) only knows about 5.1.0 so how do I
> tell it about the new tar?
>
> I do appreciate the help, I am just getting really frustrated and it is
> quite clear why Windows is winning the race on software. What takes a
> couple mouse clicks in Windows is like pulling teeth under Linux.
> Although it is much improved over the past couple years. This time I am
> going to stick it out and learn it.
>
>
> So, any one have a SIMPLE and short HOW-TO for installing the MySQL
> driver into Eclipse? And if nothing else, where the heck is Eclipse
> trying to look when it looks for the tar files? I have tried to trick it
> by renaming the 5.1.2 tar to match the 5.1.0 that it wants and point to
> it but no joy there.
>
> Thanks again. More help needed for this newbie to Linux and Eclipse.

Yeah, it's big and bewildering. Been there, done that. Writing tutorials
and answering select questions in the forum is how I give back.

A good way to make sure the JDBC driver library,
mysql-connector-java-x.y.z-bin.jar*, is in the right place (read: you
can find it next time you go to look) is to put it in your
jdk/jre/lib/ext directory, on Windows, that's something like c:\Program
Files\java\jdk1.6.0_18\jre\lib\ext.

Actually, that's probably not where I'd put it today, but it's where I
put it 5 years ago when I helped write this syllabus. It works. Just put
it somewhere you like; it's the next step that gets it into Eclipse:

Right-click your Eclipse project, choose Build Path, then click the
Libraries tab and finally Add External JARs. Navigate to where you put
the driver.

* Look for the driver at
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/3.1.html

Russ
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517432 is a reply to message #517419] Sat, 27 February 2010 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Well, my frustration level is reaching its limits.

I truly appreciate your patients and assistance. If you could take a look at some screenshots I have taken with a little more detailed description of what I am trying, perhaps you will spot the mistake I am making.

If I have consumed too much of your time I understand but the help really is appreciated.


http://schworak.com/big_pics/Help_Me_MySQL_Eclipse.pdf
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517515 is a reply to message #517432] Mon, 01 March 2010 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3196
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2/27/2010 2:46 PM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> Well, my frustration level is reaching its limits.
>
> I truly appreciate your patients and assistance. If you could take a
> look at some screenshots I have taken with a little more detailed
> description of what I am trying, perhaps you will spot the mistake I am
> making.
>
> If I have consumed too much of your time I understand but the help
> really is appreciated.
>
>
> http://schworak.com/big_pics/Help_Me_MySQL_Eclipse.pdf
>


I can probably help a bit. Sorry I didn't come back immediately, I was
doing some electrical work on my home yesterday and so didn't get back
to the forum until tonight.

So, my syllabus wasn't helpful. Perhaps the wiring is different now.

First, if you're working on Linux, and depending on the distro and
release, you probably know about this problem that can sometimes be at
the root of disabled OK buttons (though I don't really suspect it at
this point, but just in case...)

http://mou.me.uk/2009/10/31/fixing-eclipse-in-ubuntu-9-10-ka rmic-koala/

Second, well, I'm going to have to duplicate all of this in Galileo
since I haven't used this approach in about 4 years(last time was on
Europa). Moreover, yes, I was on Windows when I did that and I'm on
Windows again today, but for the last 4 years I mostly ran Eclipse on
Linux (openSuSE 10.3).

Third, I haven't looked to see where you might have got the files you
display. I would explode the tarball with the latest version (5.1.1.12?)
and use the .jar file you obtain doing that.

I'll try to get some time tomorrow to work through this and I'll know
more as I find those tarballs you listed.

In the meantime, if there's someone brighter who knows the answer out
there, don't hold back on my account.

Russ
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517517 is a reply to message #517515] Mon, 01 March 2010 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
I am trudging long using Query Browser to build my tables, triggers and functions right now so don't kill yourself over it.

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 as my Linux if that helps any.

I am also somewhat new to Linux and have only been using it on a full time basis for a few months. Linux in general isn't too bad. I haven't gotten stuck on anything until trying to use Eclipse to work with MySQL and then I hit this brick wall.

The syllabus was somewhat educational but I couldn't follow it well enough to get the database drivers installed. I think partly because of the general level of frustration not because it was not written well or anything like that.

So when you get back to me I will be quite thrilled to follow your instructions. But don't rush on my account. I am not in any hurry.

And if anyone else has guidance for me I would be pleased to take any advice I can get.
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517670 is a reply to message #517432] Mon, 01 March 2010 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3196
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2/27/2010 2:46 PM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> Well, my frustration level is reaching its limits.
>
> I truly appreciate your patients and assistance. If you could take a
> look at some screenshots I have taken with a little more detailed
> description of what I am trying, perhaps you will spot the mistake I am
> making.
>
> If I have consumed too much of your time I understand but the help
> really is appreciated.
>
>
> http://schworak.com/big_pics/Help_Me_MySQL_Eclipse.pdf
>

Okay, Glenn, I have something for you...

0) On this copy of Karmic 32-bit I happen to have set up as a Sun
VirtualBox guest OS, this morning I installed:
- eclipse
- jdk1.6.0_18
- MySQL using Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center -> Get Free
Software (MySQL Server, MySQL Administrator and MySQL Client)
- eclipse Java Project (as shown, but a Dynamic Web Project would
work too)
- a package

1) Like you, I found that Build Path -> Add Library -> Connectivity
Driver Definition doesn't work. I don't know if it doesn't work on
Galileo for Windows, but I'm using Karmic just as you are and, yeah, no
matter what I do, I never get an OK button. (I would very much like
someone brighter than I to tell me what I've missed here.)

2) So I did an end run. Under Europa, I simply added the JDBC connector
as an external JAR. Indeed, when I did that in Galileo, my application
worked too.

3) I probably need to deepen this into a tutorial. As you see from this
illustration (in which I try to get everything more or less into one
snapshot so you can see where I went with this and what I did):

- I'm using Karmic
- I'm using Galileo
- I'm using the little sample class with main() from the tutorial
syllabus
- I've punched the connector in using Add External JARs
- Because I haven't taken the time yet to set up a dvdcat table in
MySQL, the application is throwing an exception; however, this still
proves that the connector wiring is working

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/tut-images/mysql-jdbc-examp le.png

Best,

Russ
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517701 is a reply to message #517432] Mon, 01 March 2010 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric Rizzo
Messages: 2253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 2/27/10 4:46 PM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> Well, my frustration level is reaching its limits.
>
> I truly appreciate your patients and assistance. If you could take a
> look at some screenshots I have taken with a little more detailed
> description of what I am trying, perhaps you will spot the mistake I am
> making.
>
> If I have consumed too much of your time I understand but the help
> really is appreciated.
>
>
> http://schworak.com/big_pics/Help_Me_MySQL_Eclipse.pdf
>

All you have to do is tell the driver definition where to find the MySQL
driver JAR. In your final screen shot, the dialog titled "New Driver
Definition," you will notice a JAR List tab. Go there and edit the JAR
file location, pointing it to where you put the MySQL driver 5.1 JAR on
your system. That should do it.

To understand why it has to be this way, keep in mind that
legal/licensing issues keep Eclipse from distributing most JDBC drivers
directly; the tool has to rely on you getting them yourself and telling
it where you find them.

Hope this helps,
Eric
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517724 is a reply to message #517432] Mon, 01 March 2010 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3196
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2/27/2010 2:46 PM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> Well, my frustration level is reaching its limits.
>
> I truly appreciate your patients and assistance. If you could take a
> look at some screenshots I have taken with a little more detailed
> description of what I am trying, perhaps you will spot the mistake I am
> making.
>
> If I have consumed too much of your time I understand but the help
> really is appreciated.
>
>
> http://schworak.com/big_pics/Help_Me_MySQL_Eclipse.pdf
>

Glenn,

So, picking up on what Eric said (which I tried to do in the first place
just as you did), I figured out what was wrong. Of course, I did add my
connector to the JAR List tab, but couldn't (anymore than you) get an OK
button. I found out that you have to delete the bogus one that's already
there. Maybe it's a sort of placeholder.

Examine the following progressing of steps:

The New Driver Definition dialog; I select MySQL 5.1 since I know that's
the one I'm going to use.

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/tut-images/new-driver-defin ition.png

Then I click Add JAR/Zip and navigate to and select the connector I
downloaded:

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/tut-images/new-driver-defin ition-2.png

I still can't get the OK button even if I click the right one after
adding it. So, I select the one that was there and choose Remove JAR/Zip.

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/tut-images/new-driver-defin ition-3.png

Then, with only the driver I selected during navigation left, the OK
button becomes enabled.

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/tut-images/new-driver-defin ition-4.png

And I end up with:

http://www.windofkeltia.com/j2ee/tut-images/new-driver-defin ition-5.png

Last, this thing is not "sticky." If I go back in all over again, what I
did is lost--not under the Libraries tab of Build Path, but down in Add
Library -> Connectivity Driver Definition -> New Driver Definition, etc.
It's as if you're starting all over again. Not that you need too because
your definition is already there in Build Path -> Libraries. I just went
back in to do some more experimentation. So, no real bug, I'd just
expect the definition already to be known and that I'd have to delete it
if I wanted to find the connector JAR in some different place.

Russ
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #517778 is a reply to message #517724] Tue, 02 March 2010 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Is it possible that all my trouble is because I am running a 64 bit OS?

I followed the exact same steps and still got no OK button.

You do it and it works but I do it and nothing. Should I try fully un-installing yet again and start from scratch? I don't know that it would help but I will try just about anything at this point.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 64bit

More screen shots: http://schworak.com/big_pics/JDBC_Troubles.pdf

Glad you experienced at least part of what I have been seeing. That gives me hope.
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518011 is a reply to message #517778] Tue, 02 March 2010 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3196
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 3/1/2010 7:06 PM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> Is it possible that all my trouble is because I am running a 64 bit OS?
>
> I followed the exact same steps and still got no OK button.
>
> You do it and it works but I do it and nothing. Should I try fully
> un-installing yet again and start from scratch? I don't know that it
> would help but I will try just about anything at this point.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
>
> More screen shots: http://schworak.com/big_pics/JDBC_Troubles.pdf
>
> Glad you experienced at least part of what I have been seeing. That
> gives me hope.

Uh, yeah. The 64-bit story isn't down pat yet when it comes to Eclipse.

My recommendations are:

- Don't try to find and run a 64-bit Eclipse yet.

- Bring down the 32-bit JDK from Sun and place it locally in your
development area; fix eclipse.ini to run out of that.

There are responders in this forum that are down with the whole 64-bit
thing, but I think it's at least a headache if you can really get it to
work.

Russ
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518074 is a reply to message #518011] Tue, 02 March 2010 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Thank you all for your patients. I am so sorry that I didn't think about the 64 bit issue up front. I have only had the new computer for a couple months and it didn't even cross my mind until last night.

I will try the 32 bit solution and let you know what comes of that. I am hoping that is the answer. Then I can go kick myself for causing my own headache.
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518206 is a reply to message #518011] Wed, 03 March 2010 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
This is the first time in many years when I have felt just plane stupid.

I really want to just quit right now on the idea of ever getting Eclipse up and running.

The 32 bit version of Eclipse won't run on my 64 bit OS at all. Not without some magical changes to the config files that I can't figure out.

This really should not be this hard. The installers should be prompting for the required information or something. Manual configuring of everything is a joke because there are so many variables. So for someone who is fairly new it is almost impossible to get it running right.

I have the 64 bit version of Eclipse running but it can't talk to the database because none of the drivers will load.

I can't get the 32 bit version of Eclipse running at all!

And if I had the database connectors on Eclipse 64 bit working, would I even be able to write any applications anyway? Because they would need to run on a 32 bit machine when I was done. (as well as a 64 bit machine)

Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518290 is a reply to message #518206] Wed, 03 March 2010 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3196
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 3/3/2010 6:39 AM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> This is the first time in many years when I have felt just plane stupid.
>
> [snip]
>

Lucky you. I feel this way permanently. Without technical forums, I
would have to mop bank and grocery store floors for a living.

;-)
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518348 is a reply to message #518011] Wed, 03 March 2010 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric Rizzo
Messages: 2253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 3/2/10 1:33 PM, Russ Bateman wrote:
> On 3/1/2010 7:06 PM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
>> Is it possible that all my trouble is because I am running a 64 bit OS?
>>
>> I followed the exact same steps and still got no OK button.
>>
>> You do it and it works but I do it and nothing. Should I try fully
>> un-installing yet again and start from scratch? I don't know that it
>> would help but I will try just about anything at this point.
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
>>
>> More screen shots: http://schworak.com/big_pics/JDBC_Troubles.pdf
>>
>> Glad you experienced at least part of what I have been seeing. That
>> gives me hope.
>
> Uh, yeah. The 64-bit story isn't down pat yet when it comes to Eclipse.
>
> My recommendations are:
>
> - Don't try to find and run a 64-bit Eclipse yet.
>
> - Bring down the 32-bit JDK from Sun and place it locally in your
> development area; fix eclipse.ini to run out of that.
>
> There are responders in this forum that are down with the whole 64-bit
> thing, but I think it's at least a headache if you can really get it to
> work.

I don't agree with Russ' assessment of the state of 64-bit Eclipse. As
long as you have a 64-bit JDK/JVM, it should work just fine. The main
downloads page has 64-bit packages and I can assure you that those
packages are well-tested before release.
I personally run the 64-bit Mac packages every day without problem.

Eric
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518350 is a reply to message #517778] Wed, 03 March 2010 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric Rizzo
Messages: 2253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 3/1/10 9:06 PM, Glenn Schworak wrote:
> Is it possible that all my trouble is because I am running a 64 bit OS?
>
> I followed the exact same steps and still got no OK button.
>
> You do it and it works but I do it and nothing. Should I try fully
> un-installing yet again and start from scratch? I don't know that it
> would help but I will try just about anything at this point.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
>
> More screen shots: http://schworak.com/big_pics/JDBC_Troubles.pdf
>
> Glad you experienced at least part of what I have been seeing. That
> gives me hope.


Don't you see the error message at the top of the dialog (visible in the
last couple of screen shots)? The message next to the red X icon? It's
telling you why you can't proceed (the name you've used conflicts with
another driver configuration).

Hope this helps,
Eric
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518378 is a reply to message #518350] Wed, 03 March 2010 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Well DUH!!!

Ok, that was just dumb of all of us to miss that I forgot to rename the connection. But I had assumed ( ass-u-me-d ) that I was EDITING the connection that I had selected from the list.

So, I create a new connection and saved it. Great. Only one thing. It still won't talk to the server and there doesn't seem to be any way to edit the settings because my new connection doesn't show up in the list not that it has been created.

In any case, what I did because I have made a total mess of my system trying all this stuff is to totally remove Eclipse and Java then reinstall them both nice and clean.

Here are screen shots of what I have. The first is the connection information for Query Browser which makes it to MySQL without error.

http://schworak.com/big_pics/JDBC_Closer.pdf

The other two are what happen when I try to test the connection from Eclipse.

Thoughts?
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #518386 is a reply to message #518378] Wed, 03 March 2010 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glenn Schworak is currently offline Glenn Schworak
Messages: 10
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Never mind!

Although the TEST CONNECTION button returns an error of "Ping Failed", the connection works just fine.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I think it was several things causing me issues. One was just making a mess of my system trying to get it to work.

The end result is that I am up and running (so far) with SQL Explorer within Eclipse connected to MySQL now.

You are all so very helpful and it was all much appreciated.


YES... I have documented all the steps so if I need to do it again (and I will) that I can get through the process without ripping out what little hair I have left.
Re: No valid JDBC drivers [message #544156 is a reply to message #517414] Thu, 01 July 2010 19:18 Go to previous message
amma  is currently offline amma
Messages: 2
Registered: July 2010
Junior Member
Hi,

I can tell you I have been fighting the exact same scenario on Windows 7. I solved the problem following this thread.

Thanks!
Previous Topic:Eclipse wants me to save PHP files - Why?
Next Topic:How do you query a mysql database from java
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Sep 23 20:37:45 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.11015 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software