Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit » Git Pull?(How to update local copy?)
Git Pull? [message #502589] Tue, 08 December 2009 18:14 Go to next message
Michael Heuberger is currently offline Michael Heuberger
Hello

There is another important command I am missing in EGit:

git pull origin master

How can I make a git pull from the master branch in EGit?

Thank you for the hint.

Michael
Re: Git Pull? [message #502651 is a reply to message #502589] Wed, 09 December 2009 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian Halstrick
Hi,

"git pull" is not there because we don't have "git merge" yet. That's under developement ... but not yet available. I always switch for a minute to my native git implementation to do such operations.

Details
"git pull" is the same as "git fetch" plus "git merge". First you get the new stuff from the remote side (git fetch) and then you merge the new stuff with your local branch. If for example you have done modifications to your local branch then a full fledged merge is needed. This operation is not yet there in Egit.

Ciao
Chris
Re: Git Pull? [message #502665 is a reply to message #502651] Wed, 09 December 2009 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. What native git implementation do you use?

And when will the merge function be available? The sooner the better Smile
Re: Git Pull? [message #502720 is a reply to message #502665] Wed, 09 December 2009 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias Sohn
"Michael Heuberger" <michael.heuberger@binarykitchen.com> wrote in message
news:hfnv9i$9l5$1@build.eclipse.org...
>I see. What native git implementation do you use?

Depends on the operating system you are using, have a look here :
http://git-scm.com/download

> And when will the merge function be available? The sooner the better :)

You may follow the review of the basic merge implementation here :
http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,123

--
Matthias
Re: Git Pull? [message #502725 is a reply to message #502720] Wed, 09 December 2009 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, I tried the native implementation msysGit for Windoze but something went horribly wrong and damaged the files. All became changed because of wrong line feeds settings.

So that's why EGit seems to me more stable to me.

Good, I see the git merge algorithm is on review now. I hope someone is reviewing now. Can't wait to get it Smile

By the way, I am impressed by your replies on all my topcis so far. Thank you very much!

Cheers

Michael
Re: Git Pull? [message #510571 is a reply to message #502725] Wed, 27 January 2010 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha  is currently offline Sasha
Hi, sorry for bothering. Is there any progress with pull/fetch implementation in eGit?

Thanks,
Sasha
Re: Git Pull? [message #576485 is a reply to message #502720] Wed, 09 December 2009 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, I tried the native implementation msysGit for Windoze but something went horribly wrong and damaged the files. All became changed because of wrong line feeds settings.

So that's why EGit seems to me more stable to me.

Good, I see the git merge algorithm is on review now. I hope someone is reviewing now. Can't wait to get it :)

By the way, I am impressed by your replies on all my topcis so far. Thank you very much!

Cheers

Michael
Re: Git Pull? [message #577012 is a reply to message #502725] Wed, 27 January 2010 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha  is currently offline Sasha
Hi, sorry for bothering. Is there any progress with pull/fetch implementation in eGit?

Thanks,
Sasha
Re: Git Pull? [message #646269 is a reply to message #577012] Wed, 22 December 2010 19:39 Go to previous message
Franck Dernoncourt is currently offline Franck Dernoncourt

Yes: http:// wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Pulling_New_Changes_from_Up stream_Repositories
Previous Topic:Synchronising and Read-only link resource
Next Topic:Feedback on 0.10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 28 10:34:12 EDT 2014