"git pull" is not there because we don't have "git merge" yet. That's under developement ... but not yet available. I always switch for a minute to my native git implementation to do such operations.
"git pull" is the same as "git fetch" plus "git merge". First you get the new stuff from the remote side (git fetch) and then you merge the new stuff with your local branch. If for example you have done modifications to your local branch then a full fledged merge is needed. This operation is not yet there in Egit.
This is just terrible advice. I have been using eclipse since 2007. There has NEVER been a time that the pull from git that hasn't ever involved conflicts. So VERY SIMPLY how do you pull and NOT have conflicts after you are in the Sychronize view, in the Incoming MOde, and push the merge all non conflicting button. Because it has never ever worked properly.....EVER!
Please post simple instruction of how to do this and be sure you test that it does work, so I can do the same. Otherwise this plugin has been broken for almost 10 years!
* ensure you installed a recent EGit version (latest release is 4.6 or use nightly build)
* select the repository in repositories view
* click "Pull..."
* select the remote and branch you want to pull
* select rebase option (rebase, rebase preserving merge commits, rebase interactive, merge)
* check "Configure upstream" if you want to configure the currently checked out local branch to track the selected upstream branch
* click "Finish"