Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows( "Error while launching command: gdb --version")
Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #499346] Sat, 21 November 2009 00:41 Go to next message
yyy  is currently offline yyy
I've just installed Eclipse on Windows XP and when I click the debug buttons I get the following message: "Error while launching command: gdb --version"

Any idea what the problem could be?

[Updated on: Sat, 21 November 2009 00:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #499391 is a reply to message #499346] Sat, 21 November 2009 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yyy  is currently offline yyy
Problem solved - here's what I did:

Select Run, Debug Configurations and click the Debugger tab, now choose a gdb debugger by clicking Browse and selecting gdb.exe from the "bin" folder of your MingW folder (which was located inside the eclipse folder in my case).
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #544460 is a reply to message #499391] Fri, 02 July 2010 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Issmail  is currently offline Issmail
Hello!

Thank you for your explanation. It was util and helped me to solve a problem.
icon9.gif  Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #631916 is a reply to message #499346] Sun, 10 October 2010 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arturo  is currently offline Arturo
where should I download Mingw,
my "bin" folder of my mingw folder doesnt contain gdb.exe
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #646050 is a reply to message #499346] Tue, 21 December 2010 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janos Kutscherauer is currently offline Janos Kutscherauer
Hello,
i've had the same 2 problems:
1. Eclipse Helios/CDT on Windows XP, and the error "Error while launching command: gdb --version".
2. No gdb.exe in "mingw/bin".

(I might have one day deleted the gdb.exe myself from that place to resolve conflicting paths with Cygwin or MSPGcc or something like that).

So here is how i solved it:
1. Re-installed MinGW: Downloaded and ran the installer from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinG W%20Installer/mingw-get/. I just overwrote my existing MinGw directory/installation.
2. Made sure, that "C:/MinGw/bin" is on the PATH. (tried typing "gdb" into the windows command prompt to verify that gdb.exe is there).
3. In the Eclipse Debug configuration, at the "Debugger" tab, i simply entered "gdb" as the "GDB debugger". Supplying the full path will of course also do.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Janosch
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #787980 is a reply to message #544460] Wed, 01 February 2012 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasmit Pansare is currently offline Prasmit Pansare
Hi Janosch ,

i followed ur steps for dubugging. But now thred is initialised but its not mobving ahead. i cant see my output. If i use run as local c++ appllication then nothing appeares. Please suggest.
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #788016 is a reply to message #787980] Wed, 01 February 2012 08:50 Go to previous message
Prasmit Pansare is currently offline Prasmit Pansare
Prasmit Pansare wrote on Wed, 01 February 2012 02:48
Hi Janosch ,

i followed ur steps for dubugging. But now thred is initialised but its not mobving ahead. i cant see my output. If i use run as local c++ appllication then nothing appeares. Please suggest.

Previous Topic:Undefined reference to problem
Next Topic:Unresolved inclusion in hello world
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 24 21:30:42 GMT 2014