Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » SWTDesigner
SWTDesigner [message #437197] Tue, 01 June 2004 00:13 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: roberto.nucera.informatica.com

I just downloaded the 14 days trial.
We are considering porting some .NET apps to Eclipse.

There seem to be many things missing if compared with the .NET Visual
Studio design view.
Perhaps I was expecting too much :)

For example with no layout I was trying to right align some controls. Could
not find a way to do it.
Could no see how to set the tab order for the dialog. The layout pallete has
only two buttons.

I ended up using .NET and placing the coordinates by hand into the SWT
Designer.

I understand that this is all new so one has to wait.
Any idea if the SWT Designer will improve substantially? Are there other
designers for SWT?

I appreciate any help.

Roberto
Re: SWTDesigner [message #437200 is a reply to message #437197] Tue, 01 June 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert is currently offline RobertFriend
Messages: 45
Registered: July 2009
Member
"Roberto Nucera" <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote in message
news:c9gh99$5e9$1@eclipse.org...
<snip>
> Any idea if the SWT Designer will improve substantially? Are there other
> designers for SWT?
>
http://cloudgarden.com/jigloo/

It does both SWING and SWT.
Re: SWTDesigner [message #437202 is a reply to message #437197] Tue, 01 June 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Scheglov is currently offline Konstantin ScheglovFriend
Messages: 555
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Roberto Nucera <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote:

> I just downloaded the 14 days trial.
> We are considering porting some .NET apps to Eclipse.

> There seem to be many things missing if compared with the .NET Visual
> Studio design view.
> Perhaps I was expecting too much :)

> For example with no layout I was trying to right align some controls. Could
> not find a way to do it.
I suppose that you use "null" layout for SWT Composite. Plus it is possible that
you need to enable "null" layout in preferences: Designer | SWT | "Allow absolute/null layout".

There are buttons on toolbar inside of editor, but above palette and
design canvas with alignment buttons, like "Align left edges", "Align right edges",
etc. Just select two controls and use these buttons.

--
SY, Konstantin.
Advanced Eclipse SWT Designer (http://www.swt-designer.com)


Konstantin Scheglov,
Google, Inc.
Re: SWTDesigner [message #437238 is a reply to message #437202] Tue, 01 June 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: roberto.nucera.informatica.com

Konstantin,

Thanks. I did find the buttons! Not sure why they were not there before. I
did go to preferences though.

As far as completness. There seem to be many properties that should be there
but are not.
For example for a text(box) (multiline) I could not find:

Accept Return
Accept Tab
Tab Index
Tab Stop
Password Char

Still couldn't find a way to prevent (accept) tabs programmatically..

These seem to be common selections for a text control. Are you planning to
add those?

Thanks again,

Roberto

"Konstantin Scheglov" <scheglov_ke@nlmk.ru> wrote in message
news:N3oYaD5REHA.744@fairy.ao.nlmk...
> Roberto Nucera <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded the 14 days trial.
> > We are considering porting some .NET apps to Eclipse.
>
> > There seem to be many things missing if compared with the .NET Visual
> > Studio design view.
> > Perhaps I was expecting too much :)
>
> > For example with no layout I was trying to right align some controls.
Could
> > not find a way to do it.
> I suppose that you use "null" layout for SWT Composite. Plus it is
possible that
> you need to enable "null" layout in preferences: Designer | SWT | "Allow
absolute/null layout".
>
> There are buttons on toolbar inside of editor, but above palette and
> design canvas with alignment buttons, like "Align left edges", "Align
right edges",
> etc. Just select two controls and use these buttons.
>
> --
> SY, Konstantin.
> Advanced Eclipse SWT Designer (http://www.swt-designer.com)
Re: SWTDesigner [message #437252 is a reply to message #437200] Wed, 02 June 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Messages: 886
Registered: July 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Senior Member
"Robert" <catcher@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
news:c9gmd3$ab3$1@eclipse.org...
> "Roberto Nucera" <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote in message
> news:c9gh99$5e9$1@eclipse.org...
> <snip>
>
> It does both SWING and SWT.

Designer does both Swing and SWT as well.

-Eric Clayberg
Sr. Vice President of Product Development
Instantiations, Inc.
mailto:cpsws-support@instantiations.com
http://www.instantiations.com
http://www.instantiations.com/codepro/ws
http://www.swt-designer.com
Re: SWTDesigner [message #437253 is a reply to message #437197] Wed, 02 June 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Messages: 886
Registered: July 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Senior Member
"Roberto Nucera" <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote in message
news:c9gh99$5e9$1@eclipse.org...
>
> For example with no layout I was trying to right align some controls.
Could
> not find a way to do it.

Assuming you are using null layout or form layout, you could just use the
alignment buttons on the toolbar.

BTW, did you get a chance to review the docs or read through the 85+ page
tutorial?

> Could no see how to set the tab order for the dialog.

You can drag/drop the widgets in the widge tree to set the tab order (which
is the same as the z-order in SWT).

> The layout pallete has only two buttons.

What "layout palette" is that?

If you are refering to the palette of different layout managers, it contains
eight entries for use in SWT: GridLayout, FillLayout, RowLayout, FormLayout,
StackLayout, BorderLayout (AWT), FlowLayout (AWT) and GridLayout (AWT). It
also supports Null layout.

If you are referring to the Designer toolbar, it has options for left,
right, center, top, bottom and middle alignment plus options for centering
vertically and horizontally.

> I ended up using .NET and placing the coordinates by hand into the SWT
Designer.

You would get better results by using one of the layout managers support by
SWT (and SWT Designer). Null/absolute layout is generally the least useful
choice.

> I understand that this is all new so one has to wait.

New? How so? What do you need to "wait" for?

> Any idea if the SWT Designer will improve substantially?

It is improving all the time. It would be helpful to know what you are
looking for. The things you mentioned above (like alignment functions) are
already in the product.

-Eric Clayberg
Sr. Vice President of Product Development
Instantiations, Inc.
mailto:cpsws-support@instantiations.com
http://www.instantiations.com
http://www.instantiations.com/codepro/ws
http://www.swt-designer.com
Re: SWTDesigner [message #437277 is a reply to message #437238] Wed, 02 June 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Scheglov is currently offline Konstantin ScheglovFriend
Messages: 555
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Roberto Nucera <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I did find the buttons! Not sure why they were not there before. I
> did go to preferences though.
:-)

> As far as completness. There seem to be many properties that should be there
> but are not.
> For example for a text(box) (multiline) I could not find:

> Accept Return
> Accept Tab
AFAIK this can be implemented only with traverse listener, so is a little
more high level than I expect from designer.

> Tab Index
I think you mean "top index".

> Tab Stop
> Password Char
Ok, these three properties are added now to Text support.
You will able to use them in next build. ;-)


> Still couldn't find a way to prevent (accept) tabs programmatically..
Here is simple example.
If you assign e.doit 'true', you allow SWT to select next control for this 'tab' press.
By default for multiline controls it is 'false', so you add tab character in Text.
All code for this sample for generated with SWT Designer, I've added only two lines
in keyTraversed method. :-)

import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell;
import org.eclipse.swt.SWT;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Text;
import org.eclipse.swt.layout.GridLayout;
import org.eclipse.swt.layout.GridData;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Button;
import org.eclipse.swt.events.TraverseListener;
import org.eclipse.swt.events.TraverseEvent;
/**
* @author scheglov_ke
*/
public class TestText {
private Text text;
public static void main(String[] args) {
TestText window = new TestText();
window.open();
}
public void open() {
final Display display = new Display();
final Shell shell = new Shell();
shell.setLayout(new GridLayout());
shell.setText("SWT Application");
{
text = new Text(shell, SWT.BORDER | SWT.MULTI);
text.addTraverseListener(new TraverseListener() {
public void keyTraversed(TraverseEvent e) {
if (e.keyCode == SWT.TAB)
e.doit = true;
}
});
text.setLayoutData(new GridData(GridData.FILL_BOTH));
}
{
final Button button = new Button(shell, SWT.NONE);
button.setLayoutData(new GridData(GridData.HORIZONTAL_ALIGN_FILL));
button.setText("button");
}
shell.open();
while (!shell.isDisposed()) {
if (!display.readAndDispatch())
display.sleep();
}
}
}


> These seem to be common selections for a text control. Are you planning to
> add those?
Mmm... What kind of selections do you mean? Sorry, I don't understand.


> Thanks again,

> Roberto

> "Konstantin Scheglov" <scheglov_ke@nlmk.ru> wrote in message
> news:N3oYaD5REHA.744@fairy.ao.nlmk...
>> Roberto Nucera <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I just downloaded the 14 days trial.
>> > We are considering porting some .NET apps to Eclipse.
>>
>> > There seem to be many things missing if compared with the .NET Visual
>> > Studio design view.
>> > Perhaps I was expecting too much :)
>>
>> > For example with no layout I was trying to right align some controls.
> Could
>> > not find a way to do it.
>> I suppose that you use "null" layout for SWT Composite. Plus it is
> possible that
>> you need to enable "null" layout in preferences: Designer | SWT | "Allow
> absolute/null layout".
>>
>> There are buttons on toolbar inside of editor, but above palette and
>> design canvas with alignment buttons, like "Align left edges", "Align
> right edges",
>> etc. Just select two controls and use these buttons.
>>
>> --
>> SY, Konstantin.
>> Advanced Eclipse SWT Designer (http://www.swt-designer.com)



--
SY, Konstantin.
Advanced Eclipse SWT Designer (http://www.swt-designer.com)


Konstantin Scheglov,
Google, Inc.
Re: SWTDesigner [message #437395 is a reply to message #437253] Thu, 03 June 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: roberto.nucera.informatica.com

Thanks Eric,

Kosntantin helped with most of the choices already. I am impressed by the
clear responses he posted.
I am actually going to suggest we use Instantiations here, since w eare
moving some of the UI from .NET to Java/SWT.

On the NULL layout, it is absolutely key. You will attract more Windows
developers to Java if the resource
editors are powerful in absolute positioning, tabbing behavior, etc. The
more options are available the less time
it takes to write a simple dialog box.

roberto


"Eric Clayberg" <clayberg@instantiations.com> wrote in message
news:c9jf5q$h2u$1@eclipse.org...
> "Roberto Nucera" <roberto.nucera@informatica.com> wrote in message
> news:c9gh99$5e9$1@eclipse.org...
> >
> > For example with no layout I was trying to right align some controls.
> Could
> > not find a way to do it.
>
> Assuming you are using null layout or form layout, you could just use the
> alignment buttons on the toolbar.
>
> BTW, did you get a chance to review the docs or read through the 85+ page
> tutorial?
>
> > Could no see how to set the tab order for the dialog.
>
> You can drag/drop the widgets in the widge tree to set the tab order
(which
> is the same as the z-order in SWT).
>
> > The layout pallete has only two buttons.
>
> What "layout palette" is that?
>
> If you are refering to the palette of different layout managers, it
contains
> eight entries for use in SWT: GridLayout, FillLayout, RowLayout,
FormLayout,
> StackLayout, BorderLayout (AWT), FlowLayout (AWT) and GridLayout (AWT). It
> also supports Null layout.
>
> If you are referring to the Designer toolbar, it has options for left,
> right, center, top, bottom and middle alignment plus options for centering
> vertically and horizontally.
>
> > I ended up using .NET and placing the coordinates by hand into the SWT
> Designer.
>
> You would get better results by using one of the layout managers support
by
> SWT (and SWT Designer). Null/absolute layout is generally the least useful
> choice.
>
> > I understand that this is all new so one has to wait.
>
> New? How so? What do you need to "wait" for?
>
> > Any idea if the SWT Designer will improve substantially?
>
> It is improving all the time. It would be helpful to know what you are
> looking for. The things you mentioned above (like alignment functions) are
> already in the product.
>
> -Eric Clayberg
> Sr. Vice President of Product Development
> Instantiations, Inc.
> mailto:cpsws-support@instantiations.com
> http://www.instantiations.com
> http://www.instantiations.com/codepro/ws
> http://www.swt-designer.com
>
>
Re: SWTDesigner [message #440387 is a reply to message #437395] Wed, 28 July 2004 23:55 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mlopez.voicerite.com

Roberto Nucera wrote:

> Thanks Eric,
>
> Kosntantin helped with most of the choices already. I am impressed by the
> clear responses he posted.
> I am actually going to suggest we use Instantiations here, since w eare
> moving some of the UI from .NET to Java/SWT.
>
> On the NULL layout, it is absolutely key. You will attract more Windows
> developers to Java if the resource
> editors are powerful in absolute positioning, tabbing behavior, etc. The
> more options are available the less time
> it takes to write a simple dialog box.
>
> roberto
>
I agree with you, with the addition that if Instantiations wants to
really bowl over people...support the same ( or as near as possible )
level of control over the creation of your form as you would under VS.

As a hint, I would suggest you look at SharpDevelop, look at their
handling of events, and ability to set properties. After all, the code
to their visual editor is "gratis", as it's open source, and ideas begat
ideas.

Good luck.

Marcelo
Previous Topic:Running a RCP application in Java Web Start
Next Topic:vertically align text in Label?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 14:56:49 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02082 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software