Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » how to find plugin and its id
how to find plugin and its id [message #328765] Tue, 03 June 2008 17:12 Go to next message
Hao Missing name is currently offline Hao Missing name
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I would like to know how to find all of the plugins and their Ids in
eclipse environment, including successful installed plugin and
non-successful installed plugin. I tried to find Project Explorer View's
plugin in but I can not find it in the plugin details screen. Its id is
org.eclipse.ui.navigator.ProjectExplorer but nowhere the id is displayed.

thanks!
hao
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328779 is a reply to message #328765] Tue, 03 June 2008 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Beaton is currently offline Wayne Beaton
Messages: 496
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
If you're using and Eclipse 3.4 milestone, you can use the plug-in spy
to find out about your view.

Bring the Project Explorer to the front (i.e. give it focus) and hit
Shift+Alt+F1.

HTH,

Wayne

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 21:12 +0000, hao wrote:
> I would like to know how to find all of the plugins and their Ids in
> eclipse environment, including successful installed plugin and
> non-successful installed plugin. I tried to find Project Explorer View's
> plugin in but I can not find it in the plugin details screen. Its id is
> org.eclipse.ui.navigator.ProjectExplorer but nowhere the id is displayed.
>
> thanks!
> hao
>
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328790 is a reply to message #328779] Tue, 03 June 2008 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hao Missing name is currently offline Hao Missing name
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
My question is how to find all of the plugins and their Ids in
eclipse environment, including successful installed plugin and
non-successful installed plugin. Just use
org.eclipse.ui.navigator.ProjectExplorer as an example but not trying to
find the id.
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328792 is a reply to message #328790] Tue, 03 June 2008 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Beaton is currently offline Wayne Beaton
Messages: 496
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Do you want to do this programmatically, or are you looking for a view
that just shows you the information?

You can get the bundles and their state through the BundleContext object
passed to your plug-in's Activator via the start(BundleContext) method.

You can get the list of successfully resolved bundles from the About
screen.

Or perhaps we need to get a little more basic. What are you trying to
do? i.e. why do you want the plug-in ids?

Wayne

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 02:22 +0000, hao wrote:
> My question is how to find all of the plugins and their Ids in
> eclipse environment, including successful installed plugin and
> non-successful installed plugin. Just use
> org.eclipse.ui.navigator.ProjectExplorer as an example but not trying to
> find the id.
>
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328796 is a reply to message #328792] Tue, 03 June 2008 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hao Missing name is currently offline Hao Missing name
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Either pro·gram·mat·i·cal·ly or using some tools to find all of plugin and
their Ids is fine for me. There are 2 reasons we need to find plugin and
its Id:
1. If we use a plugin in our application and some error happens, we need
to know where the error happens. Since a plugin may depends on a set of
other plugins which in turn depend on another set of plugins, and etc.. It
looks like the existing eclipse tool does not provide all plugin
information, especially for un-successfully loaded plugins which are
almost the problem source.
2. You heard of some name of useful plugins but do not know the
information about it and tried to find if the plugin exists in eclipse
platform, it will be helpful to see all of the plugins include their name,
provider, id and etc.
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328808 is a reply to message #328796] Wed, 04 June 2008 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: merks.ca.ibm.com

Hao,

The PDE perspective has some nice views for this kind of thing. Also
Help->About Eclipse SDK provides this information. Running with -clean
-debug will produce helpful logged details about plugin activation and
why plugins are disabled (although -debug was broken in RC2 I think it's
fixed now in RC3).


hao wrote:
> Either pro·gram·mat·i·cal·ly or using some tools to find all of plugin
> and their Ids is fine for me. There are 2 reasons we need to find
> plugin and its Id:
> 1. If we use a plugin in our application and some error happens, we
> need to know where the error happens. Since a plugin may depends on a
> set of other plugins which in turn depend on another set of plugins,
> and etc.. It looks like the existing eclipse tool does not provide all
> plugin information, especially for un-successfully loaded plugins
> which are almost the problem source.
> 2. You heard of some name of useful plugins but do not know the
> information about it and tried to find if the plugin exists in eclipse
> platform, it will be helpful to see all of the plugins include their
> name, provider, id and etc.
>
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328821 is a reply to message #328808] Wed, 04 June 2008 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hao Missing name is currently offline Hao Missing name
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Help->About is not very helpful. For example,
org.eclipse.ui.navigator.ProjectExplorer is even not shown there.
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328823 is a reply to message #328821] Wed, 04 June 2008 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: merks.ca.ibm.com

Hao,

That's not a plugin. That class is in
org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resources. If you do Window->Show
View-Other...->PDE->Plugin-ins, select them all, and use Add To Java
Search, it will be easier to find classes. You could create a plugin
that depends on all other plugins and then the little right left
navigator button in the navigator/explorer will locate the file its
plugin...


hao wrote:
> Help->About is not very helpful. For example,
> org.eclipse.ui.navigator.ProjectExplorer is even not shown there.
>
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328831 is a reply to message #328823] Wed, 04 June 2008 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: eclipse-news.rizzoweb.com

Ed Merks wrote:
> Hao,
>
> That's not a plugin. That class is in
> org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resources. If you do Window->Show
> View-Other...->PDE->Plugin-ins, select them all, and use Add To Java
> Search, it will be easier to find classes. You could create a plugin
> that depends on all other plugins and then the little right left
> navigator button in the navigator/explorer will locate the file its
> plugin...

To make this last suggestion a lot easier, get the "Reference Project"
tool from http://www.qualityeclipse.com/
This tool makes it easy to include all installed Eclipse plugins
available for things like Ctrl+Shift+T and Java Search.

From the web page:
"Our approach, useful for searching and supporting multiple versions of
Eclipse at the same time, is to create one reference project for each
version of Eclipse to be searched. This project contains no source of
its own, but contains all the Eclipse plug-ins on its classpath so that
a search can include the entire source for Eclipse. To include or
exclude a particular version of Eclipse in your searches, simply open or
close the corresponding reference project."


Hope this helps,
Eric


> hao wrote:
>> Help->About is not very helpful. For example,
>> org.eclipse.ui.navigator.ProjectExplorer is even not shown there.
>>
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328889 is a reply to message #328831] Thu, 05 June 2008 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hao Missing name is currently offline Hao Missing name
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The reference project does not contain all plugins. It only contains the
plugins which are under the plugin installation root directory required
when the reference project is created.
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328906 is a reply to message #328889] Fri, 06 June 2008 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: eclipse-news.rizzoweb.com

hao wrote:
> The reference project does not contain all plugins. It only contains the
> plugins which are under the plugin installation root directory required
> when the reference project is created.
>

First, please quote the message to which you are responding - there are
many threads to read every day and we can not all remember what was said
previously.

Second, I don't understand what you are expecting. What plugins would
you expect to be included that aren't installed when you create the
reference project. Please provide a specific scenario you are trying,
what you expect to get, and how that differs from what you actually get.

Eric
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328949 is a reply to message #328906] Sat, 07 June 2008 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hao Missing name is currently offline Hao Missing name
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Eric said.

>I don't understand what you are expecting. What plugins would you expect to
be included that aren't installed when you create the reference project.
Please provide a specific scenario you are trying, what you expect to get, and
how that differs from what you actually get.

What I tried to say is that the reference project you mentioned (>get the
"Reference Project" tool from http://www.qualityeclipse.com/) is not quite
useful beacuse it only lists the plugins from a specified plugin
installation directory. If the plugin installation directory is known, I
am not sure if I need the tool to find a plugin. If the tool could
automatically find all plug-ins installed in a eclipse platform and list
all of them in a UI, then the tool will be useful.
Re: how to find plugin and its id [message #328965 is a reply to message #328949] Mon, 09 June 2008 09:13 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: eclipse-news.rizzoweb.com

hao wrote:
> Eric said.
>
>> I don't understand what you are expecting. What plugins would you
>> expect to
> be included that aren't installed when you create the reference project.
> Please provide a specific scenario you are trying, what you expect to
> get, and how that differs from what you actually get.
>
> What I tried to say is that the reference project you mentioned (>get
> the "Reference Project" tool from http://www.qualityeclipse.com/) is not
> quite useful beacuse it only lists the plugins from a specified plugin
> installation directory. If the plugin installation directory is known, I
> am not sure if I need the tool to find a plugin. If the tool could
> automatically find all plug-ins installed in a eclipse platform and list
> all of them in a UI, then the tool will be useful.

I pointed it out in response to someone who suggested creating a project
that referenced all plugins on its classpath. The tool is useful as a
reference, not a "table of contents." With such a project in your
workspace, all of the referenced plugins will be included in things like
Open Type dialog, Java search, etc.
If you want to browse the plugins that are currently installed, I think
Wayne (or someone) already pointed out the Plug-in Registry view and
Plugin Spy.

Hope this helps,
Eric
Previous Topic:Eclipse Plug-in Workbench & GUI design
Next Topic:How to call programatic refresh on common navigator?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 22 02:01:09 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.10611 seconds