Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » [Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on org
[Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on org [message #33137] Mon, 23 March 2009 16:39 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mayer.pst.ifi.lmu.de

Hi all,

I have followed the instructions on
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/Workspace_Setup to setup a workspace for
testing xtext. I managed to get to point 12. Checkout was successful,
but now the building workspace action hangs at 52%, saying "Invoking
Xtend/Xpand Builder on org.eclipse.xpand.tests". I've since restarted
Eclipse a couple of times, but to no avail.

I can't cancel it and it does not advance. I then removed xpand.tests
and xtend.tests from the workspace, now it hangs on
org.eclipse.xtend.typesystem.uml2 (thus seems to depend on the project
nature).

Does anybody know how to deal with this?

Thanks,

Philip
Re: [Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on [message #33171 is a reply to message #33137] Mon, 23 March 2009 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hasan Ceylan is currently offline Hasan CeylanFriend
Messages: 198
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Philip,

I am also playing around with the source and had experienced the same
behaviour.

What I did to overcome this was to remove xtend builder and nature from the
projects where it hangs. (by (maybe externally) editing .project file)

You may

Hasan

Philip Mayer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have followed the instructions on
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/Workspace_Setup to setup a workspace for
> testing xtext. I managed to get to point 12. Checkout was successful,
> but now the building workspace action hangs at 52%, saying "Invoking
> Xtend/Xpand Builder on org.eclipse.xpand.tests". I've since restarted
> Eclipse a couple of times, but to no avail.
>
> I can't cancel it and it does not advance. I then removed xpand.tests
> and xtend.tests from the workspace, now it hangs on
> org.eclipse.xtend.typesystem.uml2 (thus seems to depend on the project
> nature).
>
> Does anybody know how to deal with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Philip
Re: [Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on [message #33203 is a reply to message #33171] Mon, 23 March 2009 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Zarnekow is currently offline Sebastian ZarnekowFriend
Messages: 2961
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Hasan, hi philip,

we are facing similar problems. If you don't want to develop without the
Xpand facilities, you can try to manually cancel the API analyzer (don't
know how it is exactly called). It seems that the Xpand builder or the
API builder (or both?) don't use the right scheduling rules. At least
they seem to block each other.

Regards,
Sebastian


Hasan Ceylan schrieb:
> Philip,
>
> I am also playing around with the source and had experienced the same
> behaviour.
>
> What I did to overcome this was to remove xtend builder and nature from the
> projects where it hangs. (by (maybe externally) editing .project file)
>
> You may
>
> Hasan
>
> Philip Mayer wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have followed the instructions on
>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/Workspace_Setup to setup a workspace for
>> testing xtext. I managed to get to point 12. Checkout was successful,
>> but now the building workspace action hangs at 52%, saying "Invoking
>> Xtend/Xpand Builder on org.eclipse.xpand.tests". I've since restarted
>> Eclipse a couple of times, but to no avail.
>>
>> I can't cancel it and it does not advance. I then removed xpand.tests
>> and xtend.tests from the workspace, now it hangs on
>> org.eclipse.xtend.typesystem.uml2 (thus seems to depend on the project
>> nature).
>>
>> Does anybody know how to deal with this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Philip
>
>
Re: [Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on [message #33239 is a reply to message #33203] Mon, 23 March 2009 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mayer.pst.ifi.lmu.de

Dear Hasan, Sebastian,

thanks for your answers! I have some new insights:

a) Removing the xtend builder:
When removing the "org.eclipse.xtend.shared.ui.xtendBuilder" builder
from all projects in the workspace, I can compile just fine (I do have
some errors in "org.eclipse.xtext.xtend.tests", but I guess thats not
important), finish steps 12-14 from the guide, and start the runtime
workbench.

However, I get some problems there then (an exception at the end of
"Create new XText project"; and an error in the generated
GenerateMyDSL.mwe in the first line (FATAL Error on line 1, column 11:
'workflow' is no valid child element for element 'workflowfile'...), ec.).

I am not sure whether these problems have anything to do with the
removed xtendBuilder (have they?), so I was looking for another way to
solve this. So I tried the second suggestion:

b) Removing the api analysis builder:
When removing the "org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.apiAnalysisBuilder" builder
& nature from all workspace projects after checkout, I still get the
problem "Invoking 'Xtend/Xpand Builder' on '/org.eclipse.xpand.tests'.

Sebastian, is there another way of preventing the API analyzer/builder
from running (Eclipse preferences maybe? Did not find it, though.)

As a last thought, what did you mean by "develop without the Xpand
facilities"? I am quite fine with XText itself, if that is possible. If
so, which parts of the source can I delete?

Thank you,

Philip


Sebastian Zarnekow wrote:
> Hi Hasan, hi philip,
>
> we are facing similar problems. If you don't want to develop without the
> Xpand facilities, you can try to manually cancel the API analyzer (don't
> know how it is exactly called). It seems that the Xpand builder or the
> API builder (or both?) don't use the right scheduling rules. At least
> they seem to block each other.
>
> Regards,
> Sebastian
>
>
> Hasan Ceylan schrieb:
>> Philip,
>>
>> I am also playing around with the source and had experienced the same
>> behaviour.
>>
>> What I did to overcome this was to remove xtend builder and nature
>> from the projects where it hangs. (by (maybe externally) editing
>> .project file)
>> You may
>> Hasan
>>
>> Philip Mayer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have followed the instructions on
>>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/Workspace_Setup to setup a workspace for
>>> testing xtext. I managed to get to point 12. Checkout was successful,
>>> but now the building workspace action hangs at 52%, saying "Invoking
>>> Xtend/Xpand Builder on org.eclipse.xpand.tests". I've since restarted
>>> Eclipse a couple of times, but to no avail.
>>>
>>> I can't cancel it and it does not advance. I then removed xpand.tests
>>> and xtend.tests from the workspace, now it hangs on
>>> org.eclipse.xtend.typesystem.uml2 (thus seems to depend on the project
>>> nature).
>>>
>>> Does anybody know how to deal with this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Philip
>>
>>
Re: [Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on [message #33308 is a reply to message #33239] Tue, 24 March 2009 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Zarnekow is currently offline Sebastian ZarnekowFriend
Messages: 2961
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Philip,

a) Please file a bugzilla for the exception, that you get at the end of
the Xtext Project Wizard. I'm not aware of any problems with the wizard
and would be interested in fixing outstanding issues.

Regarding the error marker in the MWE file: Which version of the
Modeling Workflow Engine do you use? We had some false markers in prior
versions, but the M6 build should be fine with MWE files used by Xtext
(at least with the default ones). Are you on Eclipse 3.4 or 3.5M#?
However, I'm quite confident that these error have nothing to do with
the missing Xtend Nature.

b) Oh well, I did not mean to disable the API builder at all. What I do,
if the Xtend/Xpand builder hangs, is to look into to Eclipse progress
view and cancel any waiting API builder jobs. Anytime I did this, the
Xpand builder stopped hanging and finished just fine.

(c) Developing without Xpand facilities:
When you use Xtext on its own and do not write any templates or Xtend
services, please feel free to disable any Xpand related functionality,
as you will not need it. Otherwise you won't get any IDE support for
implementing validation, linking and stuff or code generation targets. I
think this won't be a pleasure...

To suppress the Xtext-Xtend-dependency please make sure, that you don't
use any generator fragments for Xtend, Check etc. in your workflow file.

Regards,
Sebastian



Philip Mayer schrieb:
>
> Dear Hasan, Sebastian,
>
> thanks for your answers! I have some new insights:
>
> a) Removing the xtend builder:
> When removing the "org.eclipse.xtend.shared.ui.xtendBuilder" builder
> from all projects in the workspace, I can compile just fine (I do have
> some errors in "org.eclipse.xtext.xtend.tests", but I guess thats not
> important), finish steps 12-14 from the guide, and start the runtime
> workbench.
>
> However, I get some problems there then (an exception at the end of
> "Create new XText project"; and an error in the generated
> GenerateMyDSL.mwe in the first line (FATAL Error on line 1, column 11:
> 'workflow' is no valid child element for element 'workflowfile'...), ec.).
>
> I am not sure whether these problems have anything to do with the
> removed xtendBuilder (have they?), so I was looking for another way to
> solve this. So I tried the second suggestion:
>
> b) Removing the api analysis builder:
> When removing the "org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.apiAnalysisBuilder" builder
> & nature from all workspace projects after checkout, I still get the
> problem "Invoking 'Xtend/Xpand Builder' on '/org.eclipse.xpand.tests'.
>
> Sebastian, is there another way of preventing the API analyzer/builder
> from running (Eclipse preferences maybe? Did not find it, though.)
>
> As a last thought, what did you mean by "develop without the Xpand
> facilities"? I am quite fine with XText itself, if that is possible. If
> so, which parts of the source can I delete?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Philip
>
>
> Sebastian Zarnekow wrote:
>> Hi Hasan, hi philip,
>>
>> we are facing similar problems. If you don't want to develop without
>> the Xpand facilities, you can try to manually cancel the API analyzer
>> (don't know how it is exactly called). It seems that the Xpand builder
>> or the API builder (or both?) don't use the right scheduling rules. At
>> least they seem to block each other.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sebastian
>>
>>
>> Hasan Ceylan schrieb:
>>> Philip,
>>>
>>> I am also playing around with the source and had experienced the same
>>> behaviour.
>>>
>>> What I did to overcome this was to remove xtend builder and nature
>>> from the projects where it hangs. (by (maybe externally) editing
>>> .project file)
>>> You may
>>> Hasan
>>>
>>> Philip Mayer wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> I have followed the instructions on
>>>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/Workspace_Setup to setup a workspace for
>>>> testing xtext. I managed to get to point 12. Checkout was successful,
>>>> but now the building workspace action hangs at 52%, saying "Invoking
>>>> Xtend/Xpand Builder on org.eclipse.xpand.tests". I've since restarted
>>>> Eclipse a couple of times, but to no avail.
>>>>
>>>> I can't cancel it and it does not advance. I then removed xpand.tests
>>>> and xtend.tests from the workspace, now it hangs on
>>>> org.eclipse.xtend.typesystem.uml2 (thus seems to depend on the project
>>>> nature).
>>>>
>>>> Does anybody know how to deal with this?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Philip
>>>
>>>
Re: [Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on [message #33343 is a reply to message #33308] Tue, 24 March 2009 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Zarnekow is currently offline Sebastian ZarnekowFriend
Messages: 2961
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi again,

I think I was wrong. It is not the PDE or API builder, that wants to
access locked resources. It seems, that the Xpand builder uses multiple
jobs with scheduling rules, that prevent each other from finishing. So
you have the cancel the "Analyzing accessibility ... " jobs in the
progress view.

Regards,
Sebastian

> if the Xtend/Xpand builder hangs, is to look into to Eclipse progress
> view and cancel any waiting API builder jobs. Anytime I did this, the
> Xpand builder stopped hanging and finished just fine.


>
> Philip Mayer schrieb:
>>
>> Dear Hasan, Sebastian,
>>
>> thanks for your answers! I have some new insights:
>>
>> a) Removing the xtend builder:
>> When removing the "org.eclipse.xtend.shared.ui.xtendBuilder" builder
>> from all projects in the workspace, I can compile just fine (I do have
>> some errors in "org.eclipse.xtext.xtend.tests", but I guess thats not
>> important), finish steps 12-14 from the guide, and start the runtime
>> workbench.
>>
>> However, I get some problems there then (an exception at the end of
>> "Create new XText project"; and an error in the generated
>> GenerateMyDSL.mwe in the first line (FATAL Error on line 1, column 11:
>> 'workflow' is no valid child element for element 'workflowfile'...),
>> ec.).
>>
>> I am not sure whether these problems have anything to do with the
>> removed xtendBuilder (have they?), so I was looking for another way to
>> solve this. So I tried the second suggestion:
>>
>> b) Removing the api analysis builder:
>> When removing the "org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.apiAnalysisBuilder"
>> builder & nature from all workspace projects after checkout, I still
>> get the problem "Invoking 'Xtend/Xpand Builder' on
>> '/org.eclipse.xpand.tests'.
>>
>> Sebastian, is there another way of preventing the API analyzer/builder
>> from running (Eclipse preferences maybe? Did not find it, though.)
>>
>> As a last thought, what did you mean by "develop without the Xpand
>> facilities"? I am quite fine with XText itself, if that is possible.
>> If so, which parts of the source can I delete?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Philip
>>
>>
>> Sebastian Zarnekow wrote:
>>> Hi Hasan, hi philip,
>>>
>>> we are facing similar problems. If you don't want to develop without
>>> the Xpand facilities, you can try to manually cancel the API analyzer
>>> (don't know how it is exactly called). It seems that the Xpand
>>> builder or the API builder (or both?) don't use the right scheduling
>>> rules. At least they seem to block each other.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>>
>>> Hasan Ceylan schrieb:
>>>> Philip,
>>>>
>>>> I am also playing around with the source and had experienced the
>>>> same behaviour.
>>>>
>>>> What I did to overcome this was to remove xtend builder and nature
>>>> from the projects where it hangs. (by (maybe externally) editing
>>>> .project file)
>>>> You may
>>>> Hasan
>>>>
>>>> Philip Mayer wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> I have followed the instructions on
>>>>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/Workspace_Setup to setup a workspace for
>>>>> testing xtext. I managed to get to point 12. Checkout was successful,
>>>>> but now the building workspace action hangs at 52%, saying "Invoking
>>>>> Xtend/Xpand Builder on org.eclipse.xpand.tests". I've since restarted
>>>>> Eclipse a couple of times, but to no avail.
>>>>>
>>>>> I can't cancel it and it does not advance. I then removed xpand.tests
>>>>> and xtend.tests from the workspace, now it hangs on
>>>>> org.eclipse.xtend.typesystem.uml2 (thus seems to depend on the project
>>>>> nature).
>>>>>
>>>>> Does anybody know how to deal with this?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>> Philip
>>>>
>>>>
Re: [Xtext] Working with the source - workspace build hangs on "Invoking Xtend/Xpand Builder on [message #33378 is a reply to message #33308] Tue, 24 March 2009 09:28 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mayer.pst.ifi.lmu.de

Hi Sebastian,

> a) Please file a bugzilla for the exception, that you get at the end of
> the Xtext Project Wizard. I'm not aware of any problems with the wizard
> and would be interested in fixing outstanding issues.

I just reproduced the problem. The wizard reports "no viable alternative
at input 'IMPORT' on line 1" when clicking finish and does not close.
There are no exceptions logged.

See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=269796.

> Regarding the error marker in the MWE file: Which version of the
> Modeling Workflow Engine do you use?

MWE 0.7.0. I have exactly the setup described in
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/Workspace_Setup.

However, I'm sorry to say that I was not able to reproduce the problem
(i.e. the marker in the file). The error message however is the same as
the one in the wizard.

> b) Oh well, I did not mean to disable the API builder at all. What I do,
> if the Xtend/Xpand builder hangs, is to look into to Eclipse progress
> view and cancel any waiting API builder jobs. Anytime I did this, the
> Xpand builder stopped hanging and finished just fine.

Okay. I will try the next time I setup a workspace.

> (c) Developing without Xpand facilities:
> When you use Xtext on its own and do not write any templates or Xtend
> services, please feel free to disable any Xpand related functionality,
> ...
> I think this won't be a pleasure...

I'd rather try with Xpand, then :)

Thanks for your help,

Philip
Previous Topic:ANTLR generator for M6
Next Topic:How start to use xText
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Dec 18 14:43:18 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.04310 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software