Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist(Cannot run java application with new version of eclipse)
The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #531324] Tue, 04 May 2010 14:36 Go to next message
Terry Birch is currently offline Terry BirchFriend
Several java apps that run fine in Release Release 3.5.0 and earlier will not run with Release Release 3.5.2. The error message I get in the log file is:
!MESSAGE The project: xxxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist.
I have tried creating new projects from scratch with the same result. I am running in Windows Vista.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #531372 is a reply to message #531324] Tue, 04 May 2010 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
In the project properties, in the "Java Build Path" section and the "Projects" tab, is a list of other projects that this project depends on. When you view this, you should see at least one red marker in the list of projects, on the line that lists the "xxxxxx" project. If you don't really need that project, then select that line and click "Remove" and "OK". If that just creates other problems, then you'll have to figure out what was supposed to be in that missing project and get it created. Perhaps there's another project in your workspace with a slightly different name that represents what your project needs?
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #531379 is a reply to message #531324] Tue, 04 May 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David,
There are no projects listed under the Projects tab. That list is empty.
Thanks
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #531385 is a reply to message #531379] Tue, 04 May 2010 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have any errors listed in the "Problems" view associated with your project? Focus on those.
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #531388 is a reply to message #531385] Tue, 04 May 2010 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David,
The only error listed in the problems section is:
The project: PrtInvoice which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist.
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #531394 is a reply to message #531388] Tue, 04 May 2010 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about in the "Libraries" tab? Do you have any entries there with a red mark, perhaps referring to a subdirectory of the "PrtInvoice" project?
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #531403 is a reply to message #531394] Tue, 04 May 2010 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are four entries listed there and there are no errors for the three jars I added nor for the JRE library listed there.
I cannot figure out why just running the Check for Updates option for eclipse causes an existing project to no longer be runnable.
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #637519 is a reply to message #531324] Sat, 06 November 2010 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I am having the exact same problem and symptoms described by "No Real Name". I have a fresh install of Eclipse Classic 3.5.2 on a Windows 7 64-bit platform. There aren't any installed plug-ins on Eclipse Galileo. My app gives me the same error message.

I have tried to run my application on a previously known "good" install of Eclipse Galileo 3.5.2 on a Windows XP pro 32-bit platform. The application project was working 6 mos ago on this machine. Now the same error message is output. In the last 6 mos, I have installed GWT and Android plugins on this machine.

As I said previously, the Windows 7 machine has a clean install.

Can anyone make a suggestion for how to solve this problem?

-Harry
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #641265 is a reply to message #531324] Wed, 24 November 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I had the same issue with a fresh Eclipse 3.5.2 install. What worked for me is that my project name contained an underscore '_' character. I renamed the project and deleted the old folder ans the issue was gone.
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #641282 is a reply to message #641265] Wed, 24 November 2010 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My project name is a simple name such as gwttest. I still am not able to create and run a new basic gwt project using teh gwt plugin in either of Helios or if I update Galileo with the newest updates. No problems if I stay on the older version of Galileo though.
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #792347 is a reply to message #531324] Mon, 06 February 2012 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Felix Akkermans is currently offline Felix AkkermansFriend
I got this error when I formatted, and installed the new JDK. It turned out the project was still configured to use the version of before (1.6), while now I had (1.7). Didn't expect this would be a problem, and the error doesn't really point to this, but there was a warning on the problems tab that hinted to it. I fixed it by going to Preferences > Java > Installed JRE's > Execution Environments, and then checking the one you have installed. Then go to your project build path settings and check if it also uses the selected executed environment. Perhaps someone else has the same cause.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2012 22:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #800210 is a reply to message #792347] Thu, 16 February 2012 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joey Zhu is currently offline Joey ZhuFriend
i got this error too. thanks for your information.
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #800637 is a reply to message #800210] Fri, 17 February 2012 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zhou xiao is currently offline zhou xiaoFriend
The code is written in the simplicity.This is my suggestion
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #1032408 is a reply to message #800637] Wed, 03 April 2013 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Chavez is currently offline Rick ChavezFriend
Hi!

I'm having the same problem:

The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist.

I went ahead and took a look at your conversation and did everything you guys suggested, and none of them seem to work, I keep getting that exact same error.

Is there any other ways I can solve this issue?
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #1032849 is a reply to message #1032408] Wed, 03 April 2013 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has been a while since I dealt with this problem so I am a little fuzzy, but there were two things that fixed all of my problems. First I did started over with a clean install of eclipse which I don't know helped. Also, for whatever reason on my machine, I cannot name my projects with the same name as the windows workspace folder. If these names are the same, there are various errors that I do not know how to work around.
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #1068244 is a reply to message #1032849] Fri, 12 July 2013 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FJ  Stöver is currently offline FJ StöverFriend
Hi Terry,

the second part of your postQuote:
I cannot name my projects with the same name as the windows workspace folder
solved my problem:

'Run launch configuration', and then get 'The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist.' using 'Eclipse SDK, Version: 3.7.1, Build id: M20110909-1335'.

Closed Eclipse, renamed workspace folder, reopened Eclipse, and then 'Run launch configuration' succeeded.

Thank you for your post.

kind regards Franz-Josef
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #1068265 is a reply to message #1068244] Fri, 12 July 2013 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very good. I am very careful now so as not to use the same names for both the workspace and the project.
Regards,
Terry
Re: The project: xxxxx which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist [message #1187660 is a reply to message #641265] Fri, 15 November 2013 08:04 Go to previous message
Raman Dhawan is currently offline Raman DhawanFriend
Renaming project helped me !!
Previous Topic:Enabling spell check for my editor created
Next Topic:Unable to install JBoss AS server adapter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:26:44 GMT 2024