Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » P2 dev » Automatic installing and starting bundles with P2 director(Is it possible to use p2 director to install and automatically start (ACTIVE) a bundle into a target platform)
icon3.gif  Automatic installing and starting bundles with P2 director [message #524429] Wed, 31 March 2010 21:38 Go to next message
Anthony Dahanne is currently offline Anthony DahanneFriend
Hello everyone !
Is it possible to accomplish this scenario ?
Given :

• a p2 repository containing the feature my.feature (referencing my.plugin)
  • 2 identical eclipse galileo installations : the first is my builder (to launch p2director) and the second is my target

I want to perform this :

• deploy my.plugin into my target eclipse platform, using p2director, and also automatically start this plugin

easy right ?
It works with
java -jar C:\tmp\builder\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.jar -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -repository file:C:/simpleupdatesite/ -installIU my.feature -destination c:\tmp\target

But I want to do this WHILE the target platform is launched and alive, without re starting it (I want it to be "hot deployed")
I tried playing with the touchpoints (p2.inf) ; I know they are loaded fine, for example such a p2.inf will make my.plugin active... if I relaunch my target platform
instructions.install=\
	markStarted(started:true); 

To sum up with, is it posssible to add IU(s) to a running equinox and start them (without stopping/restarting the running equinox)
Thank you all for your answers !

[Updated on: Wed, 31 March 2010 21:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Automatic installing and starting bundles with P2 director [message #524441 is a reply to message #524429] Wed, 31 March 2010 23:38 Go to previous message
Sebastien Angers is currently offline Sebastien AngersFriend
Bonsoir Anthony,

if your IU installation is successful, bundles.info file will be updated.

from the OSGi console of your target installation, you can perform

osgi> confapply [<config URL>]

example: osgi> confapply file:<config dir>/bundles.info

and it will enable the changes from bundles.info to the OSGi Framework.

But it would be great if it was possible to do it directly from a P2 touchpoint instruction or if it was automatically done from the installIU command.

Regards,
Sebastien
Previous Topic:"Install New Software...." fails when "osgi.configuration.area" is set in config
Next Topic:Eclipse 3.5.2, P2 Touchpoint, chmod
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:47:22 GMT 2024