Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Can't create new java project
Can't create new java project [message #263980] Sun, 31 August 2008 05:06 Go to next message
Steve is currently offline SteveFriend
Messages: 1
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,
I've been using Eclipse on Windows and Ubuntu for a while now, and have
just installed it on CentOS. I'm using the PHPEclipse plugin, and have
been successfully working on PHP projects for several months using this
install.
Recently I tried to create a new java project using the wizard and it
doesn't work (clicking "next" after the first wizard step fails to
proceed). The eclipse error log shows a null pointer exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.LaunchingPlugin.getFileInPlugin(Lau nchingPlugin.java:405)

(note - a more helpful error message here would be nice, instead of having
to dig through the logs. ... just a thought)

And, (this is key!) When I run it as root, it works just fine, which makes
me think it's a permissions problem.

Details:
Eclipse Europa installed in /usr/lib/eclipse with PHPEclipse plugin
Workspace is in my home directory.
Java is Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
OS is CentOS 5

I'm looking forward to any help/suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Re: Can't create new java project [message #263994 is a reply to message #263980] Tue, 02 September 2008 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: codeslave.ca.ibm.com

Try installing eclipse into ~/eclipse instead of /usr/lib/eclipse, and
everything should work fine. Or, fix the permissions in the eclipse/ dir
such that users can write there (configuration data must be added when
plugins are installed (such as phpeclipse).

I only ever use Eclipse installed in my home dir, and never run into
permission issues. BTW, Eclipse Ganymede SR1 (3.4.1) is out in a couple
weeks. Might be time to upgrade -- and yes, phpeclipse works for 3.4 if
you install from the nightly update site,
http://phpeclipse.sourceforge.net/update/nightly/

Nick

--
Nick Boldt :: Release Engineer, IBM Toronto Lab
Eclipse Modeling :: http://www.eclipse.org/modeling
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/User:Nickb

Steve wrote:
> I've been using Eclipse on Windows and Ubuntu for a while now, and have
> just installed it on CentOS. I'm using the PHPEclipse plugin, and have
> been successfully working on PHP projects for several months using this
> install.
> Recently I tried to create a new java project using the wizard and it
> doesn't work (clicking "next" after the first wizard step fails to
> proceed). The eclipse error log shows a null pointer exception:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.LaunchingPlugin.getFileInPlugin(Lau nchingPlugin.java:405)
> (note - a more helpful error message here would be nice, instead of
> having to dig through the logs. ... just a thought)
> And, (this is key!) When I run it as root, it works just fine, which
> makes me think it's a permissions problem.
Re: Can't create new java project [message #896965 is a reply to message #263980] Fri, 20 July 2012 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vladimir Rogojin is currently offline Vladimir RogojinFriend
Messages: 1
Registered: July 2012
Junior Member
Have same problem, but reason is different.

I don't have an option to create Java Project at all.

Here what I have installed:
- Freshly installed Ubuntu 12.04 64bit
- Oracle Java 1.7 build 5
- Eclipse Platform 3.7.2
- Eclipse JDT Plugin (Eclipse IDE does see it)

JAVA_HOME is set correctly.
I run update-alternatives --config java to point to Oracle Java 1.7

Problem:
In Eclipse menu when choosing:
- File/New/Project, there is no option "Java Project"
Eclipse treats java files as ordinary text files.
Eclipse does not know how to run java files. Tells "The selection cannot be launched, and there are no recent launches" when pressing "Run".
I DO HAVE Java perspective.

I have experience with Eclipse IDE and I know, that it should be straightforward and trivial to have support for Java Development in Eclipse.
But in my case it does not work by some reason.
What could I do wrong?

Any help is highly appreciated.
Re: Can't create new java project [message #897319 is a reply to message #896965] Mon, 23 July 2012 15:02 Go to previous message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
Messages: 3801
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 20.07.2012 16:58, Vladimir Rogojin wrote:
> Have same problem, but reason is different.
>
> I don't have an option to create Java Project at all.
>
> Here what I have installed:
> - Freshly installed Ubuntu 12.04 64bit
> - Oracle Java 1.7 build 5
> - Eclipse Platform 3.7.2
> - Eclipse JDT Plugin (Eclipse IDE does see it)
>
> JAVA_HOME is set correctly.
> I run update-alternatives --config java to point to Oracle Java 1.7
>
> Problem:
> In Eclipse menu when choosing:
> - File/New/Project, there is no option "Java Project"
> Eclipse treats java files as ordinary text files.
> Eclipse does not know how to run java files. Tells "The selection
> cannot be launched, and there are no recent launches" when pressing
> "Run".
> I DO HAVE Java perspective.
It's hard to believe that you are in the Java perspective but you don't
get the New Java Project wizard. I suggest you simply start from a new
install (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/). 'Eclipse Classic' probably
does the trick for you.

Dani
>
> I have experience with Eclipse IDE and I know, that it should be
> straightforward and trivial to have support for Java Development in
> Eclipse.
> But in my case it does not work by some reason.
> What could I do wrong?
>
> Any help is highly appreciated.
Previous Topic:Writing Files
Next Topic:Classic Update in Juno
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Dec 20 15:52:21 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.08132 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software