Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Requirements Modeling Framework  » Linking and Tracing
Linking and Tracing [message #1398194] Thu, 10 July 2014 19:30 Go to next message
Johannes Loinig is currently offline Johannes LoinigFriend
Hi,

I'm quite new to requirment management and RMF...

I tried to generate to specifications. The idea was that one holds kind of high-level requirements (A), the other one should contain detailed requirements (B). You could call it a requirement decomposition.

I want to link the requirements from A to B. Linking seems to work but I have troubles with tracing the links: I can unfold the links in B so that I can see where the come from, but I can't unfold the links in A even though they are shown in the links-column. I also get it working the other way round, seeing the links in A but not in B.

However, this manual tracing in both directions is exactly what I need: seeing where the requirements come from and where they point to. I'm a bit surprised that this does not work as I thought this is one of the main feaures a requirement managment tool should support but maybe I just do something wrong. How can I get this working?

Tanks a lot
Johannes
Re: Linking and Tracing [message #1398495 is a reply to message #1398194] Fri, 11 July 2014 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Jastram is currently offline Michael JastramFriend
Hi Johnannes,

Thank you for your feedback. You're right, linking should work in both direction, and technically, it's not difficult. It's just that we're working on other parts of the system, and nobody got to it yet. Sad I expect it to be implemented within 6 months at most.

The broader question is of course, that things don't stop there. Traces should have a purpose, and the next steps are the creation of more sophisticated traceability analysis tools (i.e. impact analysis, etc.).

It would be helpful if you could take a minute to elaborate on your situation: Are you in industry or research, why are you evaluating RMF, etc.

Thank you for your patience,

- Michael
Re: Linking and Tracing [message #1398502 is a reply to message #1398495] Fri, 11 July 2014 06:53 Go to previous message
Johannes Loinig is currently offline Johannes LoinigFriend
Hi,

I'm working on industrial projects in the area of security certifications. Thus, I'm interested in tracing Security Requirements from highest level specifications down to modules, implementations, and tests. Prefered solution in industry is DOORS but personally I'm looking for more stright forward solutions. That's the reason why I started investigating in RMF.

I agree that tracing doesn't stop with what I have explained. In fact it's just the very first step of a very long jurney Smile The problem is that I can't wait for 6 months with doing the first step.

Anyway, thanks for your fast response.

best
Johannes
Previous Topic:xhtml for RIF1.1
Next Topic:Glossary in ProR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:45:13 GMT 2024