Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing(Can't get that toolchain to become accessible)
Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1385488] Fri, 06 June 2014 22:34 Go to next message
Joerg Beutel is currently offline Joerg BeutelFriend
Well, I googled a lot, read a lot of the docs ... but it doesn't work ...

I want to use the Mentor Sourcery Lite toolchain for ARM Cross Development with Elipse Kepler ... C language ...

Started with an older (well working) Eclipse Java EE edition (all this under WinXP32)

... updated that to the current Kepler
... added the CDT
... added the GNU ARM Eclipse Plug-in from SourceForge
... added the CDT GNU Cross Development Tools
... did various restarts of Eclipse
... while Eclipe was off installed the Sourcery CodeBench Lite Edition for ARM
which I had downloaded from Mentor
... made sure the PATH was updated (after Win restart)

Then I started Eclipse, choose /New/C-Project and expected to see a branch named "ARM Cross Target Application" in the "Project Type" tree with a Sourcery Lite toolchain available for the "Empty Project" under it ... Didn't get that though.

What I have are the "CROSS GCC" and "CROSS ARM GCC" toolchains for the "Empty Project" located under "Executable" ... I simply don't have the "Cross ..." branch for the project type. No idea how to get that.

If I go to the project properties (while setting up a new project) and select the "Toolchains" tab I can select the "Sourcery Lite" toolchain ... but that doesn't change anything in the first tab where the plain GNU tools remain in the tree and no Sourcery tools are mentioned. Yes, I know, Sourcery uses the GNU stuff, but I have screenshots from other people that show "Sourcery" mentioned in that place ... and I only see GNU ...

If anybody has an idea what I can do short of reinstalling everything please let me know ...
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1476126 is a reply to message #1385488] Sun, 16 November 2014 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Lamming is currently offline Michael LammingFriend
Was this ever resolved. I have the same issue.
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477129 is a reply to message #1476126] Mon, 17 November 2014 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just made a quick test and it seems that I fixed it ... only stupid thing is - I forgot how Sad ...

index.php/fa/19921/0/

I had a look at the Eclipse Installation History which you can find under Help/About ... I hope my the screenshot image file will be attached to this post ...

index.php/fa/19920/0/

On the left you see the old setup, on the right the current one ... I have marked to locations that might have made the difference ... I know I have also made changes by activating and deactivating stuff because I had to move from Indigo to Kepler ... Please check if you can solve the problem ... if not, I can try to dig deeper and give you more details about my current setup ...

Wish you luck Smile !!
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477147 is a reply to message #1476126] Mon, 17 November 2014 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's the other half ... where my stuff currently comes from and whats actually activated ...

index.php/fa/19922/0/

Note: I'm not experienced with Eclipse. Actually I'm not very happy with it. So here I do NOT give _recommendations_ ... might all be totally wrong ... I just show what's on my machine right now.

I made separate working sets for the Java and C projects. One particular problem I have with Eclipse is that it hides stuff which one would expect to be visible ... Maybe it makes sense to explore the upper right corner of the Project Explorer window ...
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477223 is a reply to message #1385488] Mon, 17 November 2014 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joerg, very kind of you to take the time to provide all that useful information. I've perused it, and I'm going to see what I can deduce. Many thanks!
I'm using Luna, and I decided to work my way backwards installing earlier systems until it worked. I didn't suceed. Confused Since I posted my question, I discovered that the ARM Cross Target stuff is now flagged "end of life". (See image)
index.php/fa/19924/0/
I think I'm going to start over from scratch, and try to figure out all the details.

Thanks again.
//m
  • Attachment: eol.jpg
    (Size: 116.28KB, Downloaded 2678 times)
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477264 is a reply to message #1477223] Mon, 17 November 2014 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't send a link before I have 5 messages Sad ... so I need to make two empty messages ... aaaarg Sad.
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477265 is a reply to message #1477264] Mon, 17 November 2014 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now another one ... Wonder if this solves the problem ...
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477266 is a reply to message #1477223] Mon, 17 November 2014 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
End of life ? Great Sad ... Reminds me of the bad joke about married men not living longer, but just having that impression Wink ... at least I have the impression that I waste incredible amounts of lifetime with the setup of development environments instead of actually writing useful code Sad ...

In case you really start from scratch and should have the luck to end up with a well working environment could you be so kind to take notes how you got there and publish them here ? I would REALLY hate to go through all this again, but now ST have started with that Cube stuff and (of course) not included a free tool chain ... There's one thing that gives a little promise ...

Using CooCox CoIDE together with STM32CubeMX

http://sebastianwinter.blogspot.de/2014/09/using-coocox-coide-together-with.html?view=mosaic

I would have prefered Eclipse, not because I like this total sundown, but because I hate to change all the time ... but it's better than nothing Wink ...
Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477305 is a reply to message #1477266] Mon, 17 November 2014 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem is that almost any single dev, system has been streamlined for a few targets. But if you have a project that uses multiple targets (that are not all ARM) then it get's tricky, unless you are willing to run concurrent IDEs.

Even when you get the compilation side sorted out, getting all the debuggers to coexist is a work of art.

I have spent the last month (sic) trying to set up eclipse to compile the same code for three different targets. On the face of it, it all looks so straightforward, but it's been a ... <chooses words carefully> challenge. If I knew it was going to be so hard, then I wouldn't have started down this path.

If/when I manage to get it sorted I will of course post the recipe.

//m

Re: Urgent ... "ARM Cross Target Application" toolchain missing [message #1477350 is a reply to message #1477305] Mon, 17 November 2014 21:03 Go to previous message
Guess I would tend to run multiple IDEs ... have the common code in one loaction from where it gets copied into the separate project directories of the separate IDEs ... which have their own additional code ... some batch files ... frankly I prefer command line and editor in many cases, only that these days people tend to spread their projects into hundereds of files ... I can understand that debugger integration is hard. I hate debuggers Wink ... if something doesn't work I close my eyes and think through the code until I understand what happened. Then I go straight to the error and fix it. Debuggers make people work by trial and error instead of programming modular, simple, straight and safe ... my personal opinion of course Smile.

OK, wish you good progress !

[Updated on: Mon, 17 November 2014 22:04]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:CDT standalone debugger: Avoid cleanup of executables directory / Setting working directory
Next Topic:The same project resource filters appear multiple times
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:06:38 GMT 2024