Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse SmartHome » Concept of a person
Concept of a person [message #1385066] Wed, 04 June 2014 07:21 Go to next message
Petr Klus is currently offline Petr Klus
Hi,

I had an idea brewing in my mind for a while and I would like to know your thoughts. I am starting to be more and more happy openhab user, with it collecting and nicely visualising data on everything in my house, starting with soil moisture and its cross-reference with light levels etc.

However, I am starting to miss a more people-oriented features. When I get up, I use my smart scale to take my weight and body fat measurements. When I go for a workout, I track my data. I would like to own this data and be able to see them all in a single place.

I think that SmartHome is an ideal place for such functionality - it has all the tracking and database backend to create such pages, it only misses a conceptual way to represent users. I am not saying that what I describe is not possible with OH - it certainly is but I think it could use with some representation in the core.

Also, for most of the users, a truly open and extensible 24/7 running platform is not something common - and this is a requirement for any more comprehensive system.

I believe it also plugs-in well into the wilder futuristic ideas - for example, knowing "who" is in the living room would allow OH to show relevant data on the screen - perhaps fetch a daily calendar? Also, it would provide certain basis of a permission/privacy separation within the system.

Sorry if it sounds incoherent - trying to explain my idea from many different angles Smile

Re: Concept of a person [message #1385107 is a reply to message #1385066] Wed, 04 June 2014 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai Kreuzer
Hi Petr,

That is a very valid idea and one that we had discussed on the openHAB group already in the past. Thinking about it, you quickly also not only want the notion of a person, but also of locations and relations between them. It is not easy to come up with a good solution for this. I am currently supervising a student working on such a location/person concept for Eclipse SmartHome - you can find some intermediary ideas at https://github.com/philomatic/smarthome/tree/master/bundles/core/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.location/model. I will invite him to publicly discuss his ideas here in the forum!

Best regards,
Kai

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2014 10:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Concept of a person [message #1402938 is a reply to message #1385107] Fri, 18 July 2014 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petr Klus is currently offline Petr Klus
Great, I am looking forward very much to see what he comes up with!
Re: Concept of a person [message #1403201 is a reply to message #1402938] Tue, 22 July 2014 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karel goderis is currently offline karel goderis
Kai, the link to the github project is not working anymore?
Re: Concept of a person [message #1403207 is a reply to message #1403201] Tue, 22 July 2014 10:55 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai Kreuzer
It just had a superfluous "." at the end - I just removed it.
Unfortunately, there hasn't been any progress in this repo and the student didn't follow my invitation to discuss things here. I think we might have to come up with our own ideas here, but let's wait for a few weeks more.
Previous Topic:Where to put logic in bindings
Next Topic:Multiple channels for an Item?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 30 11:54:54 GMT 2014