Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » resources being false dirty
resources being false dirty [message #1376073] Fri, 23 May 2014 08:45 Go to next message
jeroen Mising name is currently offline jeroen Mising nameFriend
Yesterday I downloaded the latest eclipse ee kepler R2 (20140224-0627), together with bundled e-git (3.2.201312181205-r) Running on windows 7 jdk 7_055.

I'm on a small team with approx 5 developers (none of them is using e-git, all are using eclipse) all windows, I succesfully cloned the existing repository.
After browsing the projects and looking in the files and pressing "save" a few times, undoing my chanes etc, some files show up dirty ('>') in my proces explorer but do not seem dirty when reviewing the diff. Also "replacing with HEAD or git index leaves the files dirty. The only thing I think has changes is the timestamp.
I googled a bit and likewise cases showed up a few years back, including some bug entries in jira I believe. Other solutions like refreshing, restarting eclipse, replacing in git staging view did not work, and leaves the files dirty.
Git "reset hard" works but resets everything and this is only available at project level, it would be nice if i can reset individual files or directories inside a directory.

Are there other things to be done which I have overlooked?
I'm not a git expert and havent much experience with e-git, but i think integration with eclipse is great and can be a valid alternative for other solutions.

Re: resources being false dirty [message #1376140 is a reply to message #1376073] Fri, 23 May 2014 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Probably this is caused by line ending changes.

I'd recommend you first update to the latest EGit release 3.3.2
available here http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates and retry.

Also enable the option to show whitespace in Eclipse and check if your actions
change line endings, this may depend on project or workspace level Eclipse
preference settings for line endings.

Also have a look at the git configuration parameter core.autocrlf [1].
Earlier EGit versions had bugs in handling this parameter correctly
if it wasn't set to false.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html
Re: resources being false dirty [message #1376150 is a reply to message #1376073] Fri, 23 May 2014 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
First try: temporarily set the git config variables core.filemode=false, core.autocrlf=false. You can modify the config by rightclicking on the repo in repositories view and select "Properties". Restart Eclipse afterwards.

If this doesn't help get a commandline jgit and a Git for Windows, and execute
org.eclipse.jgit.pgm-3.3.2.201404171909-r.sh status
in the root directory of your repo

Ciao
Chris
Re: resources being false dirty [message #1385649 is a reply to message #1376150] Tue, 10 June 2014 08:48 Go to previous message
jeroen Mising name is currently offline jeroen Mising nameFriend
The update to 3.3.2 did do the trick. Note that earlier, when I tried to update via "help -> check for updates", I received a message "no updates available", when I was on 3.2.2. Installing it from marketplace turned out to be effective.
Thanks for your responses.
Previous Topic:Extracting information of remote repository
Next Topic:Programmatically find deleted resources that are not committed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:58:56 GMT 2024